Massive migration from the steppe is a source for Indo-European languages in Europe

some disgression I've not red all post nor the complete study (some runs are too small for i can read them with my poor eyes)

I saw some of the tables and thoughtsof some of ours -
what puzzles me is the differences ofinterpretations according to definition of autosomes groups(poolings) ; ancient and current -
I never had the certitude to have wellunderstood the way 'components' are made by scientists and lobbyists– my first thought was they were tracking among today populationsthe portions of DNA which were typical (by denser presence thanelsewhere) to local population : a first step on a half blindempiric way to understand the between populations links – thereliability of this method is uncertain but I see no toher way tobegin with – I don't know if the scientists can track thegenealogic chain of genes at a so big scale (hundreds of thousands ofautosomal genes), which could be a very valuable way, as they do forsome haplogroups – I ever found a book explaining all thesepoolings -
in some studies they took an ancientpopulation as an unique « pure » component, what enablesus to see the DNA shared by between this old population and todaypopulations but the anteriority of the ancient population push us tobelieve this ancient source was homogenous, what is not proven -
&: if we find a certain % of say,'gedrosia' in an ancient population (more tha a man!) , I'm not sureit's a complete « panoramic » 'gedrosia' we find in a% of the ancient population members, but rather a certain % ofthe 'gedrosia' genes kit, common to the old and the currentpopulations – the other 'gedrosia' DNA, found in the current oneand not in the ancient one, can be : 1) mutated genes which werepresent among the ancient population / 2) new genes incorporated bycrossings with (an) other population(s) of other roots, « new »genes that became geographically « typical » to thecurrent 'gedrosia' component, by proportional and geographical moreor less recent concentration -
The way people assign a DNA portion toan « initial » population then considered as 'basiccomponent' changes completely the result of the diverse componentsdistribution – we saw that with the Neolithic 'Stuttgart' taken bysomeones as pure 'neolithic' EEF when it appeared further that hecould have some WHG DNA in him, according to method and criteria,arbitrary choice finally -
so we see a go-and-return between theconcept of 'population' and the concept of 'component', some supposed'basic populations' taken entirely as 'component' ? (I'm notsure of what I understood, by lack of pedagogy, so i take a taste ofdrink) -
in the work about Yamnaya
« Early Neolithic » (LBK_EN) : component with surelysome taste of WHG ?
« Western European Hunter-Gatherer » (Loschbour) :pure WHG ?
« Yamnaya » : ??? mystery ! It is basal inthe survey, but composed if i red well elsewhere by almost 50%EHG/WHG (?) and almost 50% of mixture ANE-Eastern Neolithic ? (Iavow I'm drown under all these changing namings) called« Armenian » by someones...

• I found as you some apparent discrepancies or surprises :
modern : Orcadians and even Norwegians more LBK-EN than Scottish– Greeks neatly less Yamnaya than Bulgarian and less LBK-EN thanSpanish – Spanish without any WHG – Ukrainian less Yamnaya thanHungarian and Czech and than almost ALL Northern Europe -
past : Karsdorf shows very little of LBK-EN and a lot ofYamnaya, with some WHG : surprising for a Neolithic site (lateit's true) : but the dates are of weight here :« neolithic » could be replaced by « chalcolithic » ?- funny to see almost NO WHG in Halberstadt, Alberstedt, Benzigerodein a same region -
soI wonder if the part of WHG present among Yamnaya population (here :Samara in fact) has not been labelled « Yamanya »component ina kind of try to increase the weight of Yamnaya people in Europeanpopulations : a bias, volontary or not ??? -sorry for my naïveté,I lack clear explanations about poolings... because I find hard tofind very more 'yamanya' among northern Europeans than among easternEuropeans, spite the fact that Yamnaya ought to have more 'westernasian' or a bit more 'ANE' among them (as today easterners) than havenorthern Europeans ?
So the borders between poolings old and new are moving and a bitconfusing, I think -

Zoffmann found in her work about the Carpathian Basin that the AlföldALP culture members had strong 'protonordic cro-magnoid' influencesbefore they became gracilized by the precedent people of theKörös-Cris culture of 'mediterranian' type ('danubian' of Coon?),the result becoming the « autochtonous » population ofCentral-Europe – these new element there were not by force camefrom to far eastern places, they could have been mounts HGs (Y-I2?)acculturated to farming – but later, Zoffmann sees the arrival of'cro-magnoid' types in Tiszapolgàr culture, she links to eastern PitGrave people before the constated archeologic changes inCarpathians : so for her, infiltrations ; they wereabsorbed for the most after – in fact some authors speak of a« carpatho-ukrainian » culture close to Tiszapolgar andin contact with Copper cultures of N-Black Sea ! - otherspopulations moves seem having occurred acccording to metricanthropology : in middle-late Copper Age, Baden, Cotofeni,Kostolac show all (as constated by archeology) the arrival of newpopulations, physically of evident south-southeastern features, ofmix economy – here we deal with an opposition of new types, notalready to deeply mixed, as we could expect at these times if comingfrom the Tripolje area, if the surveys conclusions are right :'cro-magnoid' on one side, roughly said 'southern' or 'mediterranian'(broad sense) on the other – all the way, new people andmoves at the artoculation Copper/Bronze Age !!! -
more northernly concerning the 2800/2500 BC, Coon had developped hisviews concerning Corded people, the most exemplar being those of EastGermany (less mixture with 'dinaroids' and gracile 'danubians' thanin South Ukraina) : he gave them a « type » :leptodolichomorphic, very high skulled, large long faced, very talland long legged (or longiligne, what is not exactly the same) withstron jaws and chin – I have a skull picture at hand from Yamnayahorizon (helas the palce is not given) which could roughlycorrespond : all the way nothing of little or robust'mediterranian', even 'irano-afghan' : my thoughts (still) :the types are for the most typical 'nordics' (not archaic at all),maybe the first ones in Western Europe, mixed with some other strongdolichos = a good bit of 'brünn' descendants (brutal features,compressed temporals, ruggish long faces with broad cheekbones) witha taste of some kind of 'eurafrican', it's to say something presentamong 'irano-afghan' and 'cappadocian' means... (more fronto-nasalprofile, but some ressemblances, perhaps by common descent at somepoint???) -

@Maciamo

When I look at this map of L-23
http://cache.eupedia.com/images/content/Haplogroup-R1b-L23.gif

And compare it to this one of total R1b
http://cdn.eupedia.com/images/content/Haplogroup_R1b-borders.png

And when I compare them to Kurdish data, I think the gab of L23 vs R1b total in the heartland of Kurdistan is to huge.

In any data about Kurds I see most [~65%) of downstream tested R1b being actually l23

see here.

2x R1b-M343 (Kurdish village Dogukoy*/Central Anatolia in Gokcumen et al., 2011)
1x R1b-M343 (Iranian Kurds in Grugni et al., 2012)
13x R1b-M343 (Iraqi Kurds in Stenersen et al., 2004; based on Athey's Haplogroup predictor)
1x R1b1a2*-M269 (Kurmanji from Zakho/Iraq)
2x R1b1a2a-L23/L49 (Zaza from Turkey)
1x R1b1a2a-L23/L49 (Zaza from Lebanon, originally from Dersim)
1x R1b1a2a-L23/L49 (Kurd from Dersim)
1x R1b1a2a-L23/L49 (Zaza from Dersim)
1x R1b1a2a-L23/L49 (Zaza from Dersim)
1x R1b1a2a-L23/L49 (Kurd from Turkey)
2x R1b1a2a-L23 (Kurdistan-Iran in Cristofaro et al., 2013)
1x R1b1b2a1a-L52,P311,L11,P310 (Zaza from Sivas, originally from Dersim)
1x R1b1 (P25+)(Kurmanji from Maras/Elbistan/Turkey)

16x R1+R1b+R2 a.k.a. hg1 (Iraqi Kurds in Nebel et al., 2001)
54x R1+R1b+R2 a.k.a. hg1 (Yezidis from Armenia in Yepiskoposian et al., 2006)

http://kurdishdna.blogspot.de/searc...:00-07:00&max-results=7&reverse-paginate=true

Or here 23andMe

R1b1b2* (M269) - Zaxo, Kurmanji
R1b1b2a (L23) - Dêrsim, Kurmanji
R1b1b2a (L23) - Dêrsim, Kurmanji
R1b1b2a (L23) - Dêrsim, Zaza
R1b1b2a1a (L11) - Dêrsim, Zaza

http://corduene.blogspot.de/2014/04/northern-kurds-paternal-haplogroups_1.html

The reason why all 13 R1b samples in the Stenersen et al study from 2004 turned out as m343 is because there wasn't any downstream test and it is based on Athey's Haplogroup predictor. No doubt that a good chunk of R1b belong other branches such as M343 or M269 but most individual samples with downstream test turned out as l23 with only 1/3 being M343/M269/L11

The trend seems more like 3/5 of samples belong to L23 and 2/5 of samples belong to m343/M269 + some minor lineages.

Last edited:
Fig. 2: Distribution of mitochondrial lineages in the Altai region.
Green: lineages today mainly found in modern Europe; blue: lineages today mainly found in modern East Asia:

http://www.uni-mainz.de/FB/Biologie/Anthropologie/MolA/Illustrationen/CentralAsiaPieChartsWeb.png

CentralAsiaPieChartsWeb.png

From: http://www.uni-mainz.de/FB/Biologie/Anthropologie/MolA/English/Research/CentralAsia.html

(2) Sub-project “Steppe Nomads” (Martina Unterländer)

This study addresses the population dynamics in the Eurasian steppe during the Iron Age. It is carried out in collaboration with H. Parzinger (Director Preußischer Kulturbesitz), A. Nagler (German Archaeological Institute, Berlin), Z. Samachev (Margulan Institut für Archäologie, Akademie der Wissenschaft Kazakhstan, Almaty) and V.I. Molodin (Sibirisches Institut für Archäologie und Ethnographie, Akademgorodok, Russia). Beginning with the 9th century BC, there is evidence for clans of horse nomads from the Altai in the East to as far as North of the Black Sea. Because of the astounding uniformity of their material culture, life style and death rituals, they are often summarised under the term Scythians. The name ‘Scythian’ derives from a people mentioned in Herodotus’ Histories that populated the area north of the Black Sea in the 7th century BC. Their only material legacy is found in the form of kurgans, the impressive burial mounds of the Scythian elite. The earliest archaeological evidence of this culture stems from the region of Tuva, with the kurgan Arzan 1 dating to the 9th century BC. Until the 2nd century BC there are a number of populations in the area of the Eurasian steppe belt which can be assigned to that Scythian culture.

Together with our partners, we want to answer whether the obvious cultural homogeneity of these groups points to a common origin or rather to the phenomenon of acculturation. The intention is to understand the ethnogenesis and the population historical connections of these groups called Scythians.

Our data show highly diverse maternal lineages whose composition changes over time within the different populations. At the outset of the 1st century BC the examined populations of the Altai region show a relatively high number of lineages which today are found predominantly in Europe. Over time a change takes place which is reflected in an increased number of maternal lineages predominantly found today in East Asia.

there are many places where no anciant DNA has been tested yet, that is true
as far as I know, uptill now, the only J2a was the Hungarian BR2 : http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/141021/ncomms6257/fig_tab/ncomms6257_T1.html
acording to Genetiker J2a-M67 , this clade has 2 centers of highest diversity : the Levant and the Caucasus
Kyjatice Culture : they were horseriding nomads , +/- 1200 BC
They probably came from the Caucasus

there is also J2a-M319 which could be the Minoans
then there is
J2a1-L24 and subclades, of which I know nothing

I don't know if this Wiki entry is current, or what the FTDNA projects show, but going by this, a steppe origin near the north Caucasus would make sense wouldn't it?

J-M67 (Called J2f in older papers) has its highest frequencies associated with Nakh peoples. Found at very high (majority) frequencies among Ingush in Malgobek (87.4%), Chechens in Dagestan (58%), Chechens in Chechnya (56.8%) and Chechens in Malgobek, Ingushetia (50.9%) (Balanovsky 2011). In the Caucasus, it is found at significant frequencies among Georgians (13.3%) (Semino 2004), Iron Ossetes (11.3%), South Caucasian Balkars (6.3%) (Semino 2004), Digor Ossetes (5.5%), Abkhaz (6.9%), and Cherkess (5.6%) (Balanovsky 2011). It is also found at notable frequencies in the Mediterranean and Middle East, including Cretans (10.2%), North-central Italians (9.6%), Southern Italians (4.2%; only 0.8% among N. Italians), Anatolian Turks (2.7-5.4%), Greeks (4-4.3%), Albanians (3.6%), Ashkenazi Jews (4.9%), Sephardis (2.4%), Catalans (3.9%), Andalusians (3.2%), Calabrians (3.3%), Albanian Calabrians (8.9%) (see Di Giacomo 2004 and Semino 2004).

I think R1b = copper and copper working could have started anywhere there were copper deposits and so the assumption that copper working spread from the near east might be wrong.

What paper(s) dealing with metallurgy lead you to that conclusion?

Check pages 26 and last posts on 25 here:

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?159505-Reich-Yamnaya-brought-R1b-to-Europe/page26

It seems that Samara R1b hunter-gatherer was autosomally EHG (EHG being a mixture of 60% WHG and 40% ANE).

Karelian R1a hunter-gatherer was also autosomally EHG. Both were similar autosomally, despite one being R1b and the other one R1a.

But the later Late Copper-Early Bronze Age Yamnaya guys from Samara were autosomally distinct - with "Armenian-like" Near Eastern admixture.

So - question is - what haplogroup(s) did those "Armenians" bring, given that both R1b and R1a were native to EHGs prior to their arrival ??? It seems that Indo-Europeans emerged when R1a hunters (who either went southward to the steppe or were native to the steppe) and R1b hunters (native to the steppe) mixed with "Armenians" (who - as it seems - were 80% "Near Eastern" + 15% ANE + 5% "minor components" autosomally).

But who were those Armenian-like immigrants, and what were their hg-s? It could be R1a and / or R1b (maybe different clades than those of Karelia-Samara hunters), but could be something else. We need more samples of Y-DNA from Yamnaya, and from more sites - not just one.

"Armenians" (who - as it seems - were 80% "Near Eastern" + 15% ANE + 5% "minor components" autosomally).

Or, actually a different DNA than that of Neolithic farmers:

"Well they apparently weren't like the Near Easterners that brought farming to Europe, and they apparently had Caucasus and Gedrosia like autosomal ancestry."

But what Y-DNA and what mtDNA could they bring?

Anyway, they sort of had to develop Yamnaya autosomal package/admixture to see how this package correlates with the rest of Europe. At quick glance their Yamnaya admixture is 40-40-10 ANE-WHG-EEF respectively.

More like 30/30/40 ANE/WHG/EEF

According to the paper the Karelians were 60% WHG and 40% ANE. The Near Eastern portion of Yamna was also ANE rich.

If we now half the 60% WHG we get 30. And since we know the Near Eastern portion was also ANE rich, and they called them "Armenian like" (who have 15% ANE), we can assume 30% WHG also. And the rest was most likely ENF.

Otherwise they couldn't be closest to Mordovians and Lezgins who both have significant percentage of ENF (Lezgins more and Mordovians less).

I like ~1:1:1 proportion that comes out in most cases if you look at what ANE/WHG/EEF says for modern folk and what Yamna/WHG/EEF says for modern folk in this topic (So, all ANE + WHG/EEF that got eaten by Yamna component).
I like it because of its symbolic value - three different currents met to develop major river.

According to the paper the Karelians were 60% WHG and 40% ANE. The Near Eastern portion of Yamna was also ANE rich.

If we now half the 60% WHG we get 30. And since we know the Near Eastern portion was also ANE rich, and they called them "Armenian like" (who have 15% ANE), we can assume 30% WHG also. And the rest was most likely ENF.

Otherwise they couldn't be closest to Mordovians and Lezgins who both have significant percentage of ENF (Lezgins more and Mordovians less).
I didn't have time to touch the paper today, so I'm not sure if I should open my mouth. Can you explain the K16 run. It shows Yamnaya guys with only grey and blue, about 50/50. Is the grey ANE? Blue is WHG though.
Anyway these Yamnaya folks are not farmers, they have no ENF. They look like pure HGs.

Fig. 2: Distribution of mitochondrial lineages in the Altai region.
Green: lineages today mainly found in modern Europe; blue: lineages today mainly found in modern East Asia:

http://www.uni-mainz.de/FB/Biologie/Anthropologie/MolA/Illustrationen/CentralAsiaPieChartsWeb.png

From: http://www.uni-mainz.de/FB/Biologie/Anthropologie/MolA/English/Research/CentralAsia.html

Interesting turnover after 7th century BC. Interestingly things didn't change much from 4th century BC till now. Even with such dominance of Russians over the region of last 300 years and million of east Europeans sent to Siberia.

Dude there is no Thracian male lines tested, for the last time it is MT DNA

Pal, when they test ancients they do not get every SNP. They make a sound call with what they find.
now, the Thracian known as K8 ( the royal one from crimea ) had contaminated DNA and his test was ruled out.

the other thracian 192-1 was shown to have SNP 's for ydna H1b1 and also was found his mtdna which is U3b

don't rule out all 4 thracian samples because one was found contaminated

Check pages 26 and last posts on 25 here:

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?159505-Reich-Yamnaya-brought-R1b-to-Europe/page26

It seems that Samara R1b hunter-gatherer was autosomally EHG (EHG being a mixture of 60% WHG and 40% ANE).

Karelian R1a hunter-gatherer was also autosomally EHG. Both were similar autosomally, despite one being R1b and the other one R1a.

But the later Late Copper-Early Bronze Age Yamnaya guys from Samara were autosomally distinct - with "Armenian-like" Near Eastern admixture.

So - question is - what haplogroup(s) did those "Armenians" bring, given that both R1b and R1a were native to EHGs prior to their arrival ??? It seems that Indo-Europeans emerged when R1a hunters (who either went southward to the steppe or were native to the steppe) and R1b hunters (native to the steppe) mixed with "Armenians" (who - as it seems - were 80% "Near Eastern" + 15% ANE + 5% "minor components" autosomally).

But who were those Armenian-like immigrants, and what were their hg-s? It could be R1a and / or R1b (maybe different clades than those of Karelia-Samara hunters), but could be something else. We need more samples of Y-DNA from Yamnaya, and from more sites - not just one.

I don't think Yamnaya brought Armenian-like admixture to the steppe.
Armenians arrived 1200 BC and have quite someR1b-L23
Maybe Armenians have Yamnaya-like admixture

Haplogroup-R1b-L23.jpg

@Maciamo

When I look at this map of L-23
http://cache.eupedia.com/images/content/Haplogroup-R1b-L23.gif

And compare it to this one of total R1b
http://cdn.eupedia.com/images/content/Haplogroup_R1b-borders.png

And when I compare them to Kurdish data, I think the gab of L23 vs R1b total in the heartland of Kurdistan is far to huge.

In any data about Kurds I see the majority of downstream tested R1b being actually l23

see here.

http://kurdishdna.blogspot.de/searc...:00-07:00&max-results=7&reverse-paginate=true

Or here 23andMe

http://corduene.blogspot.de/2014/04/northern-kurds-paternal-haplogroups_1.html

The reason why all 13 R1b in the Iraqi Kurds sample turned out m343 is because there wasn't any downstream test as far as I know. Most individual samples with downstream test turned out as l23.
The trend seems more 2/3 L23 and 1/3 m343/M269 + some minor lineages.

You are right. Most Kurdish R1b are probably L23+ and Z2103+.

I didn't have time to touch the paper today, so I'm not sure if I should open my mouth. Can you explain the K16 run. It shows Yamnaya guys with only grey and blue, about 50/50. Is the grey ANE? Blue is WHG though.
Anyway these Yamnaya folks are not farmers, they have no ENF. They look like pure HGs.

The grey is "Near Eastern", it seems to me. Look at the PCA above it. The grey dots to the right are the Near East. The Karelia and ancient Samara HGs are all the way to the left. The "Yamnaya" samples (by which they mean the later samples from that area) are in the middle.

Neither the R1a1 Karelia sample nor the R1b1 Yamnaya sample are farmers, neither one of them have any ENF, and neither one of them are anything like modern Europeans. The R1b1 man is not even very much like the R1b downstream men buried in the same vicinity. We are not our ancient ancestors, and we are particularly not our "y" line or "mt" dna line ancestors.

Furthermore, if you compare the Karelia man with the Samara hunter gatherer you'll also see that they are the same autosomally. Not for you, but for others who may read this post, I'll repeat it...The R1b1 Samara man and the R1a1 Karelia man are almost the same autosomally.

So far as I can see, the purpose and thrust of the paper was to determine if genetic proof existed for a movement from the steppe area into Europe that changed the autosomal signature of Europeans, and to try to document the magnitude of that change.

They found evidence that it did happen, and that the change was substantial, substantial enough that some northern Europeans are autosomally 50% descended from this steppe group.

They did not, and, given the samples they had, they could not document every nuance of these migrations, and pin specific clades of specific y dna R1a or R1b to specific migrations. Indeed, given the limited geographical range of the samples, they can't even say whether or not other y dna lineages are involved.

It doesn't matter to the broad findings, because, as I stated above, the hunter gatherer lineages in the area, R1a and R1b, were almost the same autosomally, and although I think Corded Ware may have picked up more "pure" EHG as it traveled, which is why they were careful to say it was a population "related to" Yamnaya, I think we will see that the Yamnaya people will all have this mystery "Near Eastern" component, because we can see its presence in all areas of Europe.

I think this excerpt from the paper is very important in this regard:
"Thus, it appears that before ~4,500 years ago, the frequency of R1a and R1b in Europe outside Russia was very low, and it rose in the Late Neolithic/Bronze Age period. The young, star-like phylogenies of these two haplogroups24 also suggest relatively recent expansions. The ubiquity of these haplogroups in Russia, Siberia, and Central Asia suggest that their rise in Europe was likely to have been due to a migration from the east, although more work is needed to trace these migrations and also to correlate them with regions of the world that have not yet been studied with ancient DNA (such as southern Europe, the Caucasus, the Near East, Iran, and Central and South Asia). Nonetheless, the Y-chromosome results suggest the same east-to-west migration as our analysis of autosomal DNA."

Given all of this, the internecine warfare on the net from some enthusiasts for their own particular y lineage (what about all the other y lines from which they no doubt descend?) as to who can most claim the glory(their value systems, not mine) of bringing these changes to Europe is both irritating and depressing.

Both R1b and R1a were originally EHG's. Both of them are on the steppe. Both of them have a massive presence in Europe. For good or ill both of them were involved in whatever happened.

The details will come later. As for the L23 found in Yamnaya, it is not just West Asian in its

distribution. It is also found in significant numbers in southern Italy (Calabria, for one), Greece, the Balkans, and into eastern Europe in general and Russia in particular. This kind of commentary is the type of impulsive, careless, reductionist thinking that so mars discussions of population genetics on the web.

It's true that the L51 lineages of more central and western Europe, including the dominant U-152 of my own area, do not descend from this particular small group. However, somewhere in Yamnaya or in adjacent areas of Europe we will undoubtedly find the trail. To pretend that the lack of L51 in this particular small group means that R1b is not responsible for bringing steppe ancestry to Europe is nonsense, in my opinion.

Likewise, as has been pointed out in posts at Anthrogenica, the only way that the lone upstream R1b1 Neolithic farmer in Spain could be the ancestor of all the L51 lineages in central and western Europe is if the same exact sequence of mutations happened to two basal R1bs from opposite ends of Europe. This is highly unlikely to have happened, to put it mildly. The only other possibility is that a basal R1b man from inland, isolated Russia managed to join up with the G2a men, caught one of the Neolithic boats to Spain (becoming a 100% "farmer" genetically along the way) ,and then his extremely close descendent reversed the journey along the Mediterranean, and then hiked his way inland to rejoin his long lost cousins and participate in the genesis of the Yamnaya culture and the subsequent movement into Europe. Oh, and all of this had to be accomplished in a very short time frame. These people must have had an imbedded GPS system.

I think we can toss these scenarios and concentrate on more important things.

Ed. LeBrok, the emphatic "tone" is not directed at you, of course. It's just that your question was a good vehicle to address some of these things.

Very good observation, IMO. That could explain why WHG seems to be under-represented in some populations (such as Norwegian) that are shown as having a lot of Yamnaya. But that and details about how and when the Armenian population formed suggests that we need to forget about the idea of G2 or J2 reaching Europe from the Caucasus via Yamnaya. Which makes the persistence of high levels of EEF all the more puzzling in some cases.

I do find it interesting that over 7000 years ago, R1b was already spread from Samara to the Pyrenees and that over 4000 years ago R1b P312/S116 had already reached Germany. If we think on this, and the fact that R1b distribution is generally strongest the closest one gets to the sea, I think we can conclude that there was in fact already a sea change in the DNA makeup of Europe 4500 years ago but it didn't necessarily all come sweeping out of the steppes on horseback. I would like to see some BB Y DNA samples from some place other than Germany But of course we need to also keep in mind subsequent population changes if we want to fully understand the DNA structure of modern Europeans. IE languages didn't take over many parts of Europe until the historic period, and that must be a factor in how much Yamnaya is in modern populations. And some modern countries, such as Greece, look more Middle Eastern than Yamnaya in DNA content. That needs to be explained.

No there is no ENF in this chart to begin with :)

It is EEF. And we all know EEF was uncommon among Yamna and their pastoralist(farmer) DNA was more of "West Asian" type. EEF is also rarer among modern West Asians (except some Levantines), because it is ENF + ~20% WHG.

This is why Reich said the "Near Eastern pastoralist DNA from the Near East differs from that we already know from Europe, with having more affinities to Caucasus and South Asia". This Basically indiciates Caucasus_Gedrosia. This is why the Yamna individual shows no ENF. They used "Yamna" as a native component which in itself contains allot of ENF (The sort of ENF you would find in northern West Asia as part of the "Caucasus_Gedrosia" component). It seems Bronze Age was the time when "Caucasus_Gedrosia" was given birth for the first time. When ENF mixed with incoming ANE. Everything speaks for that because Reich also said the Near Eastern portion was also ANE rich. Which total indiciates Caucasus_Gedrosia (especially Gedrosia).

The same reason why WHG (blue) seems absent in Tucans- But we all know Tuscans have WHG. This is because almost all of their WHG was brought post Neolithic. It simply gets eaten up by the "Yamna component".

This is why Reich said in some of his earlier speeches. That there was a time when almost all WHG completely died out in late Neolithic and suddenly turned up to become stronger during Bronze Age again. What he was implying was that Yamna gave WHG new live in Europe. If it wasn't for Yamna, the WHG in Europe would only be half of what it is nowadays.

So we have to be cautios here. EEF is a specific type of farmer DNA which has evolved either somewhere on the Balkans or in the Near East during the Neolithic but later "died out" or was replaced to "West Asian" by admixing with ANE.

Last edited:
No there is no ENF in this chart to begin with :)

It is EEF. And we all know EEF was uncommon among Yamna and their pastoralist(farmer) DNA was more of "West Asian" type. EEF is also rarer among modern West Asians (expect some Levantines), because it is ENF + ~20% WHG.

This is why Reich said the "Near Eastern pastoralist DNA from the Near East differs from that we already know from Europe, with having more affinities to Caucasus and South Asia". This Basically indiciates Caucasus_Gedrosia. This is why the Yamna individual shows no ENF. They used "Yamna" as a native component which in itself contains allot of ENF (The sort of ENF you would find in northern West Asia as part of the "Caucasus_Gedrosia" component). It seems Bronze Age was the time when "Caucasus_Gedrosia" was given birth for the first time. When ENF mixed with incoming ANE. Everything speaks for that because Reich also said the Near Eastern portion was also ANE rich. Which total indiciates Caucasus_Gedrosia (especially Gedrosia).

The same reason why WHG (blue) seems absent in Tucans- But we all know Tuscans have WHG. This is because almost all of their WHG was brought post Neolithic. It simply gets eaten up by the "Yamna component".

This is why Reich said in some of his earlier speeches. That there was a time when almost all WHG completely died out in late Neolithic and suddenly turned up to become stronger during Bronze Age again. What he was implying was that Yamna gave WHG new live in Europe. If it wasn't for Yamna, the WHG in Europe would only be half of what it is nowadays.

So we have to be cautios here. EEF is a specific type of farmer DNA which has evolved either somewhere on the Balkans or in the Near East during the Neolithic but later "died out" or was replaced to "West Asian" by admixing with ANE.

your mixing up the data from pages 23 and 25
page 23 has modern and ancient charts. The page 25 refers to the ancient chart on page 23

It states the LBK_EN for all these indviduals are aged over 5000 years old but all are 100% EN and all in central Germany

also note these 4 G2a2 men from central germany are all the same age as oetzi

I never saw any mention that these G2a2a and T1a people in central Germany with 100% EN came from anywhere except yamnya to germany via hungaria

This thread has been viewed 370749 times.

Back