What European food DON'T you like ?

• Total voters

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
The same poll was made about Japanese food on Wa-pedia.

Almost all the Japanese believe that Westerners have difficulties appreciating their cuisine. It is almost impossible to meet a Japanese person in Japan without being asked whether we can eat sushi, natto, umeboshi, etc. It is like a "test" that every foreigner in Japan is subjected to. But this also reveals the strong stereotypes the Japanese have of Westerners, as the poll shows that sushi is one of the most liked food, while other dishes that hardly ever get asked are some of the least appreciated (crab brains, raw horse, chicken joints, salmon eggs...).

I was wondering what Europeans and non-Europeans alike disliked among Europe's vast culinary heritage. Personally there is only the good old British marmite that I can't stand approaching my taste buds.

This site has an extensive list of disgusting food around the world, but there are many I have never tried in Europe. Some sound much worse than they actually taste (Spotted Dick, Bubble and Squeak...)

Last edited:
Ther are others, but the ones on your list that I have tried in the past and dislike are Haggis, Blood sausage and Goats cheese.
Haggis manily because of the herbs, usually varies from person to person, and the fact is I find some offal disgusting to eat ie: tripe and liver. Blood sausage, called black pudding in the UK, because blood and fat a good meal do not make. I'd rather eat rubber. Goats cheese because when I was young I used to have a reaction to any products made with goats milk, I'd throw up, so it put me off goat products fro the rest of my life.

I forgot to say that I disliked peanut butter too. I think that when the Belgians I know think about British food, they think more about jelly, peanut butter and marmite than fish & chips, roastbeef or Cornish pies. Probably because fish & chips and roastbeef are also common in Belgium and Cornish pies (or meat pies) are so unknown here that it doesn't spring to mind.

But black pudding is also very common in Belgium and the neighbouring Rheinland region of Germany (although not in Eastern Germany, I noticed). I love them with mashed potatoes and apple compote, the whole mixed till it gives an distgusting-looking mish-mash.:liplick:

Goat cheese is almost sacred in Belgium and France. My wife doesn't like it, like most Japanese, apparently...

I must have a Japanese gene:)
I forgot to vote for tripe. Absolutely disgusting, vile, horrible thing I have ever had the misfortune to try, and I have had some pretty disgusting crap in the past.

I don't think if a person dislike goat cheese is because s/he has Japanese genes. Japanese people don't like goat cheese is because they are not used to the taste, just like many westerners don't like tofu.

I think just about all the Asians except south Asians dislike goat cheese, especially North East Asians. The Indians probably would like goat cheese is because their food contains dairy products like yogurt and cream. I do know one Asian family however who are born and brought up in western lifestyles who like goat cheese though.

I forgot to say that I disliked peanut butter too. I think that when the Belgians I know think about British food, they think more about jelly, peanut butter and marmite than fish & chips, roastbeef or Cornish pies. Probably because fish & chips and roastbeef are also common in Belgium and Cornish pies (or meat pies) are so unknown here that it doesn't spring to mind.

My husband doesn't eat peanut butter but I wouldn't say he dislike peanut butter. Hmmm, my husband says roast beef is French food too!

But black pudding is also very common in Belgium and the neighbouring Rheinland region of Germany (although not in Eastern Germany, I noticed). I love them with mashed potatoes and apple compote, the whole mixed till it gives an distgusting-looking mish-mash.:liplick:
Goat cheese is almost sacred in Belgium and France. My wife doesn't like it, like most Japanese, apparently...

I have heard of black pudding from the British before, from the look of the ingredients I think I will pass.

The same poll was made about Japanese food on Japan Reference.
Almost all the Japanese believe that Westerners have difficulties appreciating their cuisine. It is almost impossible to meet a Japanese person in Japan without being asked whether we can eat sushi, natto, umeboshi, etc. It is like a "test" that every foreigner in Japan is subjected to. But this also reveals the strong stereotypes the Japanese have of Westerners, as the poll shows that sushi is one of the most liked food, while other dishes that hardly ever get asked are some of the least appreciated (crab brains, raw horse, chicken joints, salmon eggs...).

I was wondering what Europeans and non-Europeans alike disliked among Europe's vast culinary heritage. Personally there is only the good old British marmite that I can't stand approaching my taste buds.
This site has an extensive list of disgusting food around the world, but there are many I have never tried in Europe. Some sound much worse than they actually taste (Spotted Dick, Bubble and Squeak...)

Well, I took my husband back in Malaysia for vacation not long ago, my father's friends are surprise my husband is able to use chopstick. Hmm I guess this is some sort of culture shock...

France: Escargot, Tripe, Frog's Legs, Bleu Cheese, Roquefort, Steak Tartare, Brains, Truffles, Camel's Feet, Boudin

What is wrong with snails and frogs legs? I love them!!! My husband likes steak tartare; if people can eat raw fish then people can eat raw beef! :D What's the big deal?

Hong Kong: Monkey Brains

Hmmm huh? I thought this is Korean food, we saw a report about it on national geographic!:souka:

Malaysia: Ice Kachang (Shaved Ice) Belachan

Eh? What is wrong with this food? It is sweet condensed milk with red bean and shaved ice, I love this!:cool: It is also eaten in Taiwan, and Hong Kong under different names. Singaporeans eat it too!!!

AH, there are quite a number of foods on that list that I have never tried, but I'd be happy to give any of them a try! Can't say until I have tried! :cool:

Hmmm, I LOVE Haggis (must be my Scottish blood! XD) and also black pudding. :liplick: I also love Marmite, saurkraut... and, is 'jelly' the kind of sweet stuff? or the sort you get in meat? :?

Peanut butter I can take it or leave it, it's not one of my faves but I can eat it in small amounts. :)

The only food I've ever tried so far that I don't like is green olives. :S

Jelly is a dessert made from gelatin. It can have very strange colours: pink, orange, green...

Jelly is a dessert made from gelatin. It can have very strange colours: pink, orange, green...

Yep, that's my definition of Jelly too!!!

On a note about marmite, I don't like marmite but yet I love Bovril, you know they are quite similar but not exactly the same!:p

But I don't eat Bovril the way British people eat it, I put it in my Chinese porridge (no milk, Chinese never put milk in their porridges, I feel I need to state that because in the past I had a conversation about Chinese porridges with a Finnish guy, and he thought Chinese porridges have milk because Finnish porridges have milk).:souka:

In Japan everyone was impressed I could use chopsticks and I could eat all Japanese food including raw horse meat.

I love Haggis, and I have one or two toasts with Butter and Marmite a day.

I think I won't like black Pudding in Italy is known as Sanguinaccio.. But I never tried it...

Strangely in the list there is no Italian food specified,,,,

^ lol, obviously there is no Italian food that is or sounds horrible enough to be included! :giggle:

I don't see why jelly should be particularly disliked... :souka: it's popular as a children's food...

^ lol, obviously there is no Italian food that is or sounds horrible enough to be included!

Trippe alla Fiorentina (Florence-style tripes)

^ lol, obviously there is no Italian food that is or sounds horrible enough to be included! :giggle:
I don't see why jelly should be particularly disliked... :souka: it's popular as a children's food...

I think the French don't like Jelly; they had a commercial making fun of it.

French don?ft eat peanut butter or oats, you need to seek in the special foreign food section in the hypermarket to find them, not only are they expensive here, there are only one choice of each.

However Jelly has been popularly introduced in East Asia. I have been brought up with foods like Jelly and peanut butter. With Jelly, we used to play with it, as they comes in little packaging with different colors and pictures.

I think the French don't like Jelly; they had a commercial making fun of it.
French don?ft eat peanut butter or oats, you need to seek in the special foreign food section in the hypermarket to find them, not only are they expensive here, there are only one choice of each.
I agree that jelly and peanut butter are unpopular in France (and Belgium), but it isn't the case of oats if you mean 'porridge' ('oats meal', as they say on the other side of the Atlantic). Porridge (gruau d'avoine in French, lit. "oats gruel") is readily available in any supermarket (even the tiniest village mart), and has always been since I was a child. Btw, most of the French supermarkets are well implanted in Wallonia (Carrefour, Champion, Match, Intermarché, Ecomarché...). One notable exception is Monoprix.

I agree that jelly and peanut butter are unpopular in France (and Belgium), but it isn't the case of oats if you mean 'porridge' ('oats meal', as they say on the other side of the Atlantic). Porridge (gruau d'avoine in French, lit. "oats gruel") is readily available in any supermarket (even the tiniest village mart), and has always been since I was a child. Btw, most of the French supermarkets are well implanted in Wallonia (Carrefour, Champion, Match, Intermarché, Ecomarché...). One notable exception is Monoprix.

The hypermarkets/supermarkets I have been to are: Cora, Auchan, Super U, Hyper U, Marche U and Coop. There are others. The ones you have mentioned besides Carrefour, Monoprix and Intermarche the rest I don?ft know them. I get other hypermarket?fs brochures in my mail box I don't remember seeing those that you have mentioned that I don't know of, but it could be because they are far from where I live.

I have found a brochure in my mail box recently advertising an oat bran kind of cereal, it is written new.

I have asked my husband that I want to buy oats before and he has no idea what I am talking about just like he doesn't know what Bovril taste like or what it is.

I have found Quaker Oats in the foreign food section in a hypermarket here where as Barilla products from Italy are found in the normal food sections in French hypermarkets.

I can see there are some differences of opinions of yours about French and my husband's, maybe this is regional difference. The side of France next to Belgium must be somewhat different to the side that we live in.

For myself I detest tripe and other organs through which animals have passed their food, similarly all ductless glands, I would never eat anything an animal has been looking through, thinking with, or using for reproduction, and lungs appall me.

On that basis I will not eat haggis (which I don’t like anyway) and I certainly don’t eat British sausages and a whole lot of French cuisine much of which seems to incorporate all of my dislikes in each dish.

Braunschweiger—a spreadable smoked liver sausage enriched with eggs and milk; the most well known of the liverwurst sausages

I had to look that up because I had not the slightest idea how to spell it. My grandpa used to eat that as a sandwich with mustard and lettuce. I can still remember the smell that would linger for hours.

Here in Wisconsin, the 2 favorite foods are bratwurst and cheese (lager to wash it all down). I myself can't stomach the bratwurst...truthfully though it's the big fat globules you can see that makes my stomach turn. I guess I'm just not a sausage fan, though the occasional hot dog slathered with mustard is ok.

This thread has been viewed 45877 times.

Back