Reputation points

Thor

?ςȊO?l
Reaction score
I'm seeing members getting their reputation posts trashed for no valid reason. Sure, I think it's a great idea to rate each other on our posts. It's been abused before, I use to be red back in around, July-August because I made some posts that disagreed with the Michael Moore documentary, and the way he does his documentarys. Sure, that doesn't make my post bad. It makes the people who disagree with me upset, and they give me negative reputation points.
Can we just take reputation points off the forum? It's doing more bad then good..
I really don't want to be marked a bad poster because people don't see eye to eye with me, and my posts...
P.S. I'm aware of the disable reputation points function..

Thor said:
Can we just take reputation points off the forum? It's doing more bad then good..
While I wholeheartedly agree with you on this issue, there are a lot of different opinions among the team members. For the time being I recommend you to disable your reputation points.

That why i disable mine, fair enough i made some ****** posts, but i made some good ones to that people just disagreed with and so marked me down. You can only stay green if you only say what other people want you to.

Especially among the guilty are some who have accumulated a high point level which they proudly display and feel that gives them the privilege of censoring or controlling other lesser members with opposing opinions.

Last edited:
So what's the cutoff point beyond which leaving them turned on becomes a matter of vanity?

thomas said:
While I wholeheartedly agree with you on this issue, there are a lot of different opinions among the team members.

If that's the case then i hereby support the removal of teh Rep-system.

Members that have been around long enough don't need it to judge who's good or bad. New members probably don't even know what those green dots are all about and have therefore nothing to gain from the system.

Twisted said:
If that's the case then i hereby support the removal of teh Rep-system.

Members that have been around long enough don't need it to judge who's good or bad. New members probably don't even know what those green dots are all about and have therefore nothing to gain from the system.

Exactly, people that come here enough to actually know what they are probally know already the personalities of the regular poster. I dont need to look at the reputation to know they are an idiot.

However it does add that extra bit of something to do, makes it a bit more fun.
I have disabled mine but i do often give other people reputation to let them know they have made a good contribution or not.

In one way it lets people know when they are out of line or doing good, by this they can improve other posts.

On the other hand it could mean everyone becomes a sheep and has no personality of their own.

i like this way of sending short message to people. after a while, they get deleted automatically.

so, reputation occurs as good thing to me.

and, i learned, i am not allowed to write in bad quality- i got some red point.

then i apologized, revised and improved.

more easy sentence, more polite.

then, people have given me good reputation.

sometimes, i make joke, and get green point as well.

when i joined this forum (and that is not so long time ago), i noticed ''green dots'' and wondered what is it all about. but i got dictracted and i totally forgot about it. but later, i saw i got some reputation points (thank you....) and it made me to think about it. i think it is not such bad thing. as i noticed, nobody else can see others reputation, so it is just for my information, what people think about what i said... positive or negative, nevermind... it is better that way, then to just approve or argue on topic. and comments, hmm, made me feel like i am nice person

:blush:

:)

i think it is nice to get some kind of respect in this way, and when you get a bad rep,, you can think about what you put wrong in that post... i dont think rep points are that bad, and if you dont like it, just disable it!!!

Twisted said:
.... what those green dots are all about....

Alma said:
.... noticed ''green dots'' and wondered what is it all about. but i got dictracted and i ....

i just realised green dot is for beeing online, and grey for offline.... :p

I dont think its so much that they are not useful but that they are abused.

People use them just because they do not agree. Which is wrong and not why they are there. In this point they serve very little purpose.

Actually, I wouldn't have minded turning mine off, except that at one time there was a mini-campaign urging people to disable them and I hate jumping on bandwagons.

To me, turning them off says either one of two things:

1. "My rep points suck and I don't want anybody to know how low they are."

or

2. "My rep points are real high and I feel leaving them on is immodest bragging."

#1 doesn't apply to me, and #2 strikes me as ostentatious false modesty. Not saying that it actually is a display of ostentatious false modesty on the part of those who turn them off, but just that that is how it strikes me. So I leave mine on. If JREF did away with the system entirely, it would be fine with me.

Tim33 said:
I dont think its so much that they are not useful but that they are abused.

People use them just because they do not agree. Which is wrong and not why they are there. In this point they serve very little purpose.
For me as well it isn't so much an issue with the total number than with how cheaply they can be earned and taken away (at least not for things I particularly value). :bluush:

Elizabeth said:
For me as well it isn't so much an issue with the total number than with how cheaply they can be earned and taken away (at least not for things I particularly value). :bluush:
good student (extraordinary work) gets good certificate.
student which smokes/drinks gets not so good certificate.

generally, i like the option to notify disapproval (by approval), and self-deleting message...

Perhaps we could change the colors of rep points, not just green and red. If each user could change the color of their rep points pre-judgement could not be done, to borrow alexriversan's interesting phrase.

Good Thought !

Index said:
Perhaps we could change the colors of rep points, not just green and red. If each user could change the color of their rep points pre-judgement could not be done, to borrow alexriversan's interesting phrase.

I always wanted BLUE balls !!

Frank

:blush:

This thread has been viewed 60778 times.

Back