Bombs In London? Hope All Our English Members Are Ok !

Frank D. White

THE CRAZY OLD GUY !!
Reaction score
Ethnic group
German/French/Scottish
Not to many details in yet, but there were explosions in the London area in subways and a bus during the morning rush hour. It mentioned a few people killed; I always worry one of our members will be hurt when I hear news like this.

Frank

:worried: :bawling: :(

The BBC reports that there were at least blasts in 6 underground stations and one double-decker bus. They say they aren't sure whether it is a terrorist attack, although it appeared that many people died.

How could it not be a criminal or terrorist act when 7 bombs explode almost simultaneously in different parts of the city, targetting busy stations (including the business district stations of Liverpool St, Moorgate and Bank) at the morning rush hours (the first blast was reported at 8:49am) ? For me it clearly looks like a new 9/11. It's just that London doesn't really have skyscrapers except the new district of Canary Wharf (incl. the HSBC and CitiGroup towers) a bit outside the center, but they must be much better guarded than anywhere else.

None of the bombs were in particularily touristical areas, but all quite crowded with commuters (King's Cross and Liverpool St are two of London's biggest stations).

It remains to be seen whether this is connected with Al Qaida, the IRA or others. The fact that it happened less than 24h after London was chosen for hosting the 2012 Olympics may be related too. Or would there be a connection to the G8 summit in Scotland ?

They could call the incident "double 'O' 7" but without the 'O' - just "double 7" (7th July).

-----EDIT----
Correction : it seems that Bank Station wasn't attacked but Aldgate (the Bangladeshi and African district) was. This is more surprising as Muslim terrorists wouldn't attack a Muslim area, but rather a financial district like 'Bank'.

I passed through some of these stations only 2 weeks ago. The timing couldn't be more strange as I justly went to the British embassy in Tokyo a few hours ago !

Last edited:
There is still not the slightest information on Japanese TV. Maybe at the 9pm news in 30min. Ironcially, they were justly saying yesterday on NHK when talking about the choice of London for the Olympics that "it wouldn't been strange if a terrorist attack were to happen in London in the (near) future".

Yes, I too am worried, I have a lot of friends residing in London... have been receiving numerous 'we're ok' emails today... as I dont have a television, I only just got wind of the devastating news from these emails...
Its horrible that such violence is conducted in the world.... SAD!

I hope this is an isolated event and doesn't prompt other such attacks in other capitals around Europe. It doesn't seem like an IRA attack rather my first impression of it suggests that it is a bit similar to the madrid train attacks so maybe it's some radical fundamentalist cell that was dormant or just recently formed.

Maciamo said:
it seems that Bank Station wasn't attacked but Aldgate (the Bangladeshi and African district) was. This is more surprising as Muslim terrorists wouldn't attack a Muslim area, but rather a financial district like 'Bank'.

You're right, Aldgate is a strange target from an 'impact' point of view. Maybe from an 'opportunity' point of view it would make sense. Wouldn't suprise me if terrorists were based in that area at all.

Thankfully there seem to be relatively few casualties, compared to Madrid and New York. I just hope nothing else is going to happen.

I walked into work this morning and saw this on TV. I was utterly shocked - how could this happen to London? But at the same time - I wasn't too surprised either. London just won the Olympics for 2012 - what better time for terrorists to attack and say "We can still get you." Nevertheless, this is horrible. A time of celebration has immediately turned to a time of sorrow and fear. I hope everyone in London is ok and that things will turn out for the better. Thankfully there are very few deaths so far (and let's hope it remains that way.)

And I just heard Tony Blair is returning to London from G8.

The New York Times was just delivered to my work. Ironically, the front page shows the celebration of the olympics. It's sad how quickly things have turned around.

I am shocked!

In writing, it is still not confirmed who is to blame for the bombings, however, an Al Quaida cell has claimed to be responsible through a known Islamic website.

I personally don't think it is Irish terrorists, due to the planning, timing, and the coordinated attacks.

There are seven confirmed sites in London, and I must admit I was shocked -and still am, having lived and visited London I know of all these places, especially King's Cross and Edgware Rd.

Two confirmed killed according to BBC, however, police say more are dead from Edgware Rd, but still awaiting "go" to go public....According to CNN, however, they are quick to confirm that 10 are dead so far.

Killing innocent people is a very evil deed, and I hope they find out exactly who is to blame for this.

Many have predicted that it could happen in London, and especially the London Underground would be a target.

Policeforces have been rehearsing this kind of attack in London just in case, especially after 9/11...

shocking...

I am afraid the fatality numbers will rise, as many are severely burned, and have terrible limb injuries...

Joining to your worries. Hope, all JRef members are OK, and the wounded people will get well soon, and attack won`t continue.

-- Death toll in London blasts at least 40, U.S. sources say, citing British
government as source.

(according to CNN). BBC has not confirmed the death toll yet.

Looks like the body count is rising... (according to the latest updates around the web) although the British govt. has yet to release anything official. Hopefully we'll have some concrete figures soon in terms of loss of life and re: the extent of the actual damage.

I just woke up and got a message from my friend about bombs on public transport, thought he was joking :|

Still cant believe it...really shocking...

Current numbers for dead are a total of 33, 21 at Kings Cross being the most. It is typical of these 'brave' terrorists to attack civilian targets. All they have managed to do is piss people off about them even more. I just cannot understand the mindset of these type of people.
Thanks for your concern Frank and Jrefs other non-British members.

I see they are now reporting over 40 dead and over 1,000 injured. I feel for you guys. I was returning home early this morning from my nightly run to Memphis, TN when they broke into FOX news on the satellite radio about the bombings. I just couldn't believe it. Not again. My first thought was that it might be some French extremists angry about the awarding of the Olympics to London. Then I thought about the G-8 summit and figured some extremists may have wanted to send a message. Now they are reporting, in unconfirmed reports, that a European cell of Al-Queda is claiming responsibility.

My thoughts go out to all those in London.

Oh my gosh! Lets pray for them. I hope all jref member is alraight.

My thoughts go out to everyone as well. The first I heard of it was this morning(about 7 a.m. here; 12 pm there), when I first got up. I had to take my car in for an oil change and it was all over the TV in the waiting room. The older man, who was already in the waiting room, was telling me about it when I got there. Like Pachipro, I initially thought it might have something to do with the Olympic committee decision yesterday, but later learned that it was probably a G8 connection.

It's a shame that some people think they have to take such drastic and deadly measures to get some attention. :(

I have just heard from one of my best friends, who lives in Reading. I know she goes into London on a regular basis, so I'm glad to know she's ok.

Again, my thoughts are with those who were affected by this.

i have been following it today, every hour.. just hope it wont get worser...

my mind is with the familie victems.. !!!!!

i agree with Blair about it is babarian to do this thing, especialy on the beginning of the G-8 were they talk about the poor people in the world, and about earth warming... trying to make the world a better place, and then this ****ERS show up... makes me angry soo much.. but i dont believe in revenge, only in justice ( even it is not perfect)

Scary times we live in, isn't it? :( My heart goes out to the victim's families. But what I am more worried is the all the conflict in the that this bombing has called. Reports are saying that this was an Islamic group, and everyone knows there is a possibility there will be more resentment towards Muslims. At least I think so. :worried:

This thread has been viewed 23829 times.

Back