New R1b map of Europe

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
I have working on a new, more accurate map showing R1b frequencies in Europe. The one from Wikipedia really isn't good enough. I have gathered all the data I could find about each region of Europe, Anatolia and the Caucasus and came up with this.

Haplogroup_R1b.gif

It's not perfect, but it's as good as it can get based on the present data. I found contradictory percentages for Ukraine, Belarus and Russia. Some studies only give 2% of R1b in Ukraine, and others as much as 12%. Russia is so vast and studies so few that it's hard to be accurate.

Sweet, gets more interesting and detailed. Now we can see pockets with or without R1bs.

Good that you are copyright branding these maps. The ones on eye and hair color have been plastered all over the internet and sometimes altered.

Isn't In Iberia the gradient is East/West , not South/North ?? :unsure:

Isn't Czech Republic 35% R1B? Not sure, but read somewhere about this.

No, porque si te fijas el mapa trabaja en intervalos puesto que habla de +60% y +80% lo que quiere decir (60,80) y (80,100), etc... Dentro de cada intervalo si habria un gradiente claro pero puesto que el mapa abarca un territorio muy amplio no seria conveniente poner mucho gradiente por sencillez visual (o al menos imagino que maciamo ha tenido en cuenta todo esto para mostarlo asi).

Isn't Czech Republic 35% R1B? Not sure, but read somewhere about this.

It is 35%, which is why the map shows "+25%" (meaning over 25% but under 40%, which is the next shade of red).

Based on all the studies I had on Iberia, the highest frequencies of R1b are found near the Pyrenees (Basque country to Catalonia) and the lowest in South Portugal, Extremadura and West Andalusia. Numbers for Galicia vary from 50 to 80%, but the overall average is around 60-65%.

South-West Iberia has more Near-Eastern haplogroups (E, G, J, T) due to the early arrival of Neolithic farmers from Greece via southern Italy. Add to this the Phoenician and Arabic influence, although I now think that the Neolithic migration had the biggest impact, because the Copper-age strongholds of Portugal and Andalusia (like Zambujal or Los Millares) resisted better the Bronze-age IE invasion of R1b.

Cantabria is a pocket of E-M81 and has therefore less R1b. E-M81 in Cantabria is certainly of Paleolithic or Mesolithic origin, as it is combined with strong frequencies of mtDNA U5 and V. Furthermore, Cantabria was the last part of Spain to adopt agriculture (around 4000 BCE) due to its isolation, so I doubt that E-M81 be of Neolithic or later origin.

Last edited:
It is 35%, which is why the map shows "+25%" (meaning over 25% but under 40%, which is the next shade of red).

Thanks, somehow I had that reversed in my mind that +25 was the maximum.

south-east and south-west iberians are still iberians theiy are just the least cro magnon and celtic iberians and most mediterranean/near eastern influenced! southeast iberians are the most "mediterranean" also the darkest eyes and hair are in the south of iberia this coud be due to greeks phoenicians berbers all introduced j e t g to southern iberia! southern iberia is almost on par with central italy in genes!

No, Cantabria is not a pocket, it's only the Pasiegos, a small comarca of Cantabria. Even in Pasiegos the R1b is 61+% . For The whole Cantabria is 7.14% E1b1b and 66% R1b
http://grupos.unican.es/acanto/aep/BolPas/Ann-Hum-Genet.pdf

Your paper actually gives 43% of R1b for the Pasiegos, 60% for the Lebaniegos, and 58% for other Cantabrians (and 60% for Asturias). The average for Cantabria is 52% (71 out of 137 samples). What's interesting is that the Pasiegos have 18% of R1a1. That's huge for Spain. The mtDNA data show that Cantabrians have a fairly unique incidence of hg I, U2, U3 and U4, which are usually found among Pontic steppe people and areas with a lot of R1a. The Pasiegos obviously have steppe ancestors, who mixed with Paleolithic people from the Maghreb (E-M81 combined with U6, L2 and M1). A very unique blend indeed.

Flores gives 58% R1b for Cantabria, and Adams 50% for Asturias. I put both regions in between 50 and 60% on the map.

Galicia is borderline 60%. Adams gives 58%, Flores 63%, and Balaresque's brand new study of R1b also gives 58%. Based on this new study from yesterday I think I should place Galicia in 50 to 60% like Asturias and Cantabria.

I have just verified data for North Portugal and found 53.5% (Flores), 55% (Gonçalves et al.) and 58% (Adams). I will modify the map accordingly.

Your paper actually gives 43% of R1b for the Pasiegos, 60% for the Lebaniegos, and 58% for other Cantabrians (and 60% for Asturias). The average for Cantabria is 52% (71 out of 137 samples). What's interesting is that the Pasiegos have 18% of R1a1. That's huge for Spain. The mtDNA data show that Cantabrians have a fairly unique incidence of hg I, U2, U3 and U4, which are usually found among Pontic steppe people and areas with a lot of R1a. The Pasiegos obviously have steppe ancestors, who mixed with Paleolithic people from the Maghreb (E-M81 combined with U6, L2 and M1). A very unique blend indeed.

Flores gives 58% R1b for Cantabria, and Adams 50% for Asturias. I put both regions in between 50 and 60% on the map.

Galicia is borderline 60%. Adams gives 58%, Flores 63%, and Balaresque's brand new study of R1b also gives 58%. Based on this new study from yesterday I think I should place Galicia in 50 to 60% like Asturias and Cantabria.

I have just verified data for North Portugal and found 53.5% (Flores), 55% (Gonçalves et al.) and 58% (Adams). I will modify the map accordingly.

Don't forget the Beleza et al. study for Portugal.

In Europe.
Damn!
I want to see the world map of all haplogroups, especially the map of the United States of America. Not Indians.
Why the internet does not show this information? Europe Europe Europe!!
What the hell!?:mad:

1174412643.Ge.1.jpg

You mean something like this but taking into acount the americans of non-native-american origins. Yes, it would be nice to see it.

In Europe.
Damn!
I want to see the world map of all haplogroups, especially the map of the United States of America. Not Indians.
Why the internet does not show this information? Europe Europe Europe!!
What the hell!?:mad:

There is no reliable map of modern North America because the population is far too mixed and keep moving constantly. Haplogroup maps for Eurasia are supposed to show the haplogroup frequencies 500 years ago, before the rural exodus and emigration to colonies, not today.

The map is very precise regarding Slovenia-Croatia-Bosnia area.From over 30% in westernmost areas of Slovenia and Croatia it falls abruptly in Bosnia to 2-3%.

There is no reliable map of modern North America because the population is far too mixed and keep moving constantly. Haplogroup maps for Eurasia are supposed to show the haplogroup frequencies 500 years ago, before the rural exodus and emigration to colonies, not today.

it is a thousand pities.
:sad-2:

This thread has been viewed 27647 times.

Back