origin of people of Scotland and northeast Ireland

If you have read it, and the works of Koch & Wodtko (Palaeohispanica, 2010), C. J. Untermann (Verba, 2009) and others in this same way, and you are not agree...then you can follow with yours obsoletes teories...I think that you have Villar/Prosper overdose.

Funny how you consistently ignore the actual arguments of my so-called "obsolete theory" while they still remain valid, and make a permanent call to authority of other people without providing me any different evidence.

ps > ks > ss > s, is an innovation in all celtic areas of Hispania. That is known.

This is not true. I have provided you examples that yields ps -> xs in Celtiberian, which is as I said an innovation of Proto-Celtic.

MMM...how can you explain gaulish god name APADEVA or the gaulish tribes PICTONES, PLEUXII?. Evidently, the p loss was not in protoceltic...

In the P-Celtic languages, *kw is rendered as *p. It's claear that Gaulish "Apa-" is derived from Proto-Celtic "Akwa-". If the loss was not Proto-Celtic, how do you explain Celtiberian "Arevaci", Irish "Athair", Gaulish "Orcos" or Welsh 'Llan'?

Well, perhaps can we explain it like callaecian tribe Arotreba (< from *aretreba), lusitanian. name god Ateraeco (*pateraiko), callaecian placename Olca (< polka) or callaecian LANOBRIGA (< planobriga)?

For 'pig' callaecian have Mocio and lusitanian Mucoaego (< protocelt. *mukko-), not the latin word that yo can see in some inscriptions: porcom, but how can you resolve the celtiberian word [-]uaporconi?

Well, perhaps can we explain it like callaecian tribe Arotreba (< from *aretreba), lusitanian. name god Ateraeco (*pateraiko), callaecian placename Olca (< polka) or callaecian LANOBRIGA (< planobriga)?

Yes. This clearly shows that PIE *p is lost. On the flipside we have a massive number of names where the *p from PIE is retained. Since a sound law cannot be in free variation in the same area at the same time (Paramica and Arevaci), the only logical conclusion is that the area was linguistically non-homogenous. Where is your problem?

no..i did not said that: *p is not lost in Hispania..I said that it is an archaism, and for that you can not exlcude for the celtic languages. It is the same that the galician language. We loss intervocalic n and l (lúa < lat. lunam; ceo < latin caelum) and for that we are not excluded in the romanic languages...And principally I have said that to lost the indo-european *p is a linguistic anomaly, and it is not indo-european.

no..i did not said that: *p is not lost in Hispania..I said that it is an archaism, an for that you can not exlcude for the celtic languages. It is the same that the galician language. We loss intervocalic n and l (lúa < lat. lunam; ceo < latin caelum) and for that we are not excluded in the romanic languages...

Sorry, you yourself provided examples of how *p is also lost in Celtiberian and Gallaecian words. Of course from the perspective of the Celtic languages, retaining PIE *p is an archaism, but since the Celtic languages are defined by the loss of PIE *p, this makes these forms in Iberia that retain *p technically Pre-Celtic.

And principally I have said that lost the indo-european *p is a linguistic anomaly.

And I have no idea why you keep saying that and what your point is in keeping repeating it. I have explained how it is possible to lose PIE *p.

And you keep avoiding answering on how it is possible for a retained and lost lost PIE *p to simultaneously exist side by side in the general area.

No..mm...I have said...'perhaps..like callaecian, etc'...No. Moreover...the celto-hispanic languages, it is celtiberian, lusitanian and hispano-celta, are indo-europeans, then is normal the preservation of *p

No..mm...I have said...'perhaps..like callaecian, etc'...No. Moreover...the celto-hispanic languages, it is celtiberian, lusitanian and hispano-celta, are indo-europeans, then is normal the preservation of *p

Funny how *p is lost in some cases. You provided examples of that. I provided examples. I wonder why you avoid answering the question how they could exist side by side.

No loss the *p is not the same that instability: see these callaecian personal names examples: APANA/ABANA, from root ie. *ap-: this example you can see it too in celtiberian personal names..but, clearly, the celtic languages of Hispania follow the indo-europeans rules. They have not the irregularity that we can see in Gaulish and you must ask for you why Gaulish have not a normal indo-european verbal system too, and why *p is preservated in gaulish tribes like PICTAVI/PICTONES and PLEUXII or the marginal goddess name APADEVA (Gaulish have not the word ie. *akwa, the unique example is very unlikely).

No loss the *p is not the same that instability: see these callaecian personal names examples: APANA/ABANA, from root ie. *ap-

Sorry. You yourself provide examples, both from Celtiberia proper and Gallecia of *p being lost, such as Arevaci and Arotrebae. At the same time you provided multiple examples of *p being retained.

I repeat my question: how do you explain that they exist simultaneously at the same place?

I do not see two systems in Western, but in Celtiberian.

There is one source for this celto-hispanic languages, the stellae populations, that arrived to the SW Iberian Peninsula in the ends of the Eneolithic. I think that is the people who introduce the old river names, that are perfectly intragated in the celtic language. Western Peninsula have a continuity only interrupted in this time, in the ends of the Eneolithic.

Where their presence was more dense and important, like in Western Hispania and Liguria and pre-Alps, the indo-european languages are more close to the proto-indoeuropean type centum. For example, the Lepontic was related with the ligurian language but with Gaulish and Venetic interferences. The Ligurian is a secundary paradigmatic matrix that become from Hispania in the Bell-Beaker times.

'Secondary paradigmic matrix'? You know what? You might as well reverse shield polarity and modify the phase variance...

This is a graphic aproximation:

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 75619 times.

Back