What if Germany had won the war?

Germany wouldn't have won the war because crazy loon was in power there. The arrogance and blind believe in might of their armies was a demise and worst enemy of Japan and Germany.

If someone more stoic was in power in Germany and emperor of Japan was more pragmatic, they would attack Soviet Union from two sides, finishing it off before they made moves against US. They would consolidate their holdings; Germany: whole Europe, Middle east and Africa; Japan: most of Asia, Australia and pacific islands. Now, their combined GDP and resources would be greater than those of US. Now they would be ready to fight US, though I'm still not convinced if US would loose, I'm not saying win, but just survive.
US would still be the first one with A bomb, a third of global GDP, and top technologies, with stratospheric bombers to deliver A bomb.
We are lucky, it didn't turn this way, and we didn't want to see the total war with 1950 armament. Even if Germany won at the end, we would be living in devastated post atom war world.

As an American with French/German/Scot/Welsh Roots I would like to chime in to defend my country. First I do not think we dominate the world not in the way the European powers did. In a nut shell we are you I have Family members buried in Europe from the first and second world wars that went to fight for wars that did not really affect us. I fought in the Iraq war in 2008 I would love to see a perfect world with perfect people. But we descend from waring tribes and warfare is in our blood and there it will stay. If Germany would have won the war. I think with the exception of people it deemed subhuman life would have went on. without the second world war we would not have near the technological advances we have today. War always gives birth to innovations. But then again I don't blame Germany as a whole people in general tend to believe what their government tells them lies or truth none of us are free of that

Last edited:
First I do not think we dominate the world not in the way the European powers did.

A double negative! I assume you meant the single negative form of this?

In a nut shell we are you I have Family members buried in Europe from the first and second world wars that went to fight for wars that did not really affect us.

WWI and WWII didn't affect the US? Are you aware of the Lusitania and Pearl Harbor?

without the second world war we would not have near the technological advances we have today. War always gives birth to innovations.

I dispute this. Although WWII accelerated military development, things like nuclear theory were developing independently of the war. Besides, other wars certainly would have had the same accelerating effect, and we're not talking about what would have happened if WWII hadn't happened, we're talking about what would have happened if Germany had won, but WWII still happened.

WWI and WWII didn't affect the US? Are you aware of the Lusitania and Pearl Harbor?

Japan is not Germany. The German embassy took out ads warning passengers not to sail on the Lusitania. And dives to the wreck have show it appeared to have carried munitions So I fault my own government for using a civilian ships with passengers to haul war material. Sir I'm more than aware of the wars that The US has fought in. My family has been fighting them since the French and Indian wars myself included

Japan is not Germany.

Yes, but they were allies of Germany, and there was a mutual declaration of war between the US and Germany in response to the US declaring war on Japan.

The German embassy took out ads warning passengers not to sail on the Lusitania. And dives to the wreck have show it appeared to have carried munitions So I fault my own government for using a civilian ships with passengers to haul war material.

It was more the UK's fault that they were carrying munitions on a civilian ship. Either way, I was showing an example of how WWI most certainly did affect the US, regardless of whether or not the entry of the US into the war was justified. It wasn't for purely selfless reasons that the US joined the war, of course.

Sir I'm more than aware of the wars that The US has fought in. My family has been fighting them since the French and Indian wars myself included

OK, and my family goes back to Bacon's Rebellion, if we're trying to appeal to family history here. Good to know you're up to speed on US military history, that's better than most Americans.

This thread has been viewed 61116 times.

Back