The Albanian language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Illyrian according Greek History was a language that got Celticised or was from Celtic origin,

a group of Celtic Tribes invade Balkans much before troyan war, so Illyrian was a mix of P celtic with a non IE that greeks call Pelasgian,
according History Illyrians are sons of Illyros, but in their names we find The Keltos in Pannoni Basin
that means that Early Greeks believe that Celtic were from Illyrian origin, since Keltos was son of Illyros, but it was different,
That makes clear that Illyrian should be at Centum languages, since Celtic was a Centum language, a possible Italo-Celtic language mixed with a non IE.

there is also another theory that area of Illyria (not Illyricum) parts of Makedonia Dardania Paeonia were not IE but got IE from Vryges (phrygians)
Vryges until today are connected with 4 wider families
Brigantes as Celtic
Burgudes as Germanic
Bryges as Thracian
Bryges as para-Greek from Greco-aryan origin (Homeric, pre-Homeric, the later Skudra case)
Bryges play a Big roll in Balkans, since for some they are ones that turn IE the Locals,
Brygians or Phrygians were a Holy Nation by Makedonians, Especially in Upper (west) by ellimians
while their alter name By Argeiads was Mygdonians.

Their language was Isotones with Greek, that means they probably were Centum,

so Illyrian was probably Centum from Both Hypothesis.

I was talking about the theme Breg from Breg Deti #17

I heard this before, but what is confusing is that in the ancient times celtic ( i have read this from many web sites ) was a language and not a tribe, so did you mean gallic-celts or germanic-celts. gallic tribes where in eastern austria at the time, like the taurisci and carni tribes.
celtic is a culture now btw

Taranis, could you give us your opinion on whether Illyrian is a Centum or Satem language? I find that to be very important in reconstructing the prehistory of the Balkans and Indo-Europeans in general.

And what does that have to do with Illyrians speaking a Centum or Satem language? And according to linguistic evidence, the Veneti spoke a language more akin to Italic than Illyrian it seems.

Well, honestly, the image isn't clear because I would say that there is evidence for both​ in the area.

Evidence for Centum definitely is this:

'Argyruntum' from PIE *arg´- (silvery, glittering), compare Greek 'Argyros', Latin 'Argentum', Irish 'Airgead'

'Acruvium' from PIE *ak´- (sharp), compare Latin 'acer', Greek 'akros'

Egyptians and Romanoi people do not share origin, ethnicity and language with either of the balkan peoples where they live in, be it Albania, Serbia, Greece, Rumania etc. So they are not an Albanian tribe and they do not speak a dialect of Albanian.

Egyptians and Romanoi people do not share origin, ethnicity and language with either of the balkan peoples where they live in, be it Albania, Serbia, Greece, Rumania etc. So they are not an Albanian tribe and they do not speak a dialect of Albanian.

I absolutely agree. This has little part in this discussion (ie, the origin and development of the Albanian language). To be honest, it eludes me why Zanipolo brought this up.

Taranis, my point regarding the PIE -Kap- and - gap- is that these two words are preserved unchanged in the Albanian language

PIE- Kap - grasp
Alb- Kap - grasp, catch

PIE- Gap - give, receive
Alb- jap (nap -dialect) - give

So why is this is not mentioned but instead all focus is to find the cognates in latin, german, english etc.

Btw, "bote" (world in Alb), "byth" in Old Irish and "byd" - what meaning they have? we have the world - the variant like in Old Irish but it definitely does not mean "the world":)

Some word in Gaelick / Welsh shared in Alb:

Galish - Alb
Busu (mouth) - Buza (lip)
Ceio (lament) - Qaj (cry)
Iomadh (much) - Madh (large,a lot)

Sorry guys but nobody ever read Iapetoc, but I am sure all read the Bullshit of A Kolla

for us to read Iapetoc he should publish sth and then we can be in a position to see who writes bullshit among the two, a forumer with a nickname or the arvanite Aristidh Kola.

So according to your explanation of - breg - deti - anije - we can conclude that they are old words (not recent loans), used by people living around the same territory as Albs and preserved with this meaning only in the Albanian language (deti and anije).

Tarantis, my point regarding the PIE -Kap- and - gap- is that these two words are preserved unchanged in the Albanian language

PIE- Kap - grasp
Alb- Kap - grasp, catch

PIE- Gap - give, receive
Alb- jap (nap -dialect) - give

Actually "jap" is clearly not unchanged. The PIE root word is reconstructed with a laryngeal sound.

So why is this is not mentioned but instead all focus is to find the cognates in latin, german, english etc.

The reason I brought up specific words at the beginning is to explicitly visualize Albanian sound laws (ie, where there are changes from PIE). To show that, I used cognates from other IE languages. Now, *k and *p are retained unchanged in Albanian. Well, *k is retained under these conditions, it's shifted to /s/ or /c/ (written 'q' in Standard Albanian Orthography) in other contexts. The other reason was to show loanwords, and also what the loanwords can tell us about the relative chronology of Albanian sound laws.

We can be pretty certain that the *k > *c sound shift didn't happen until after the Roman period because Latin loanwords are subject to it (civitas > qytet).

You must not let yourself be fooled by the fact that Albanian (or indeed any other IE language) is conservative in a specific sound law and preserved the original sound. Just because it preserved one or two sounds doesn't mean Albanian preserved the complete "original condition". The example above (and many others I provided) show that this clearly isn't the case and that Albanian possesses a specific set of sound laws.

Btw, "bote" (world in Alb), "byth" in Old Irish and "byd" - what meaning they have? we have the world - the variant like in Old Irish but it definitely does not mean "the world":)

The world also means "world" in both Old Irish (bith) and Welsh (byd). By the way, the link must here be between PIE, otherwise you can't explain why it's /i/ in Celtic and /o/ in Albanian.

Some word in Gaelick / Welsh shared in Alb:

Galish - Alb
Busu (mouth) - Buza (lip)
Ceio (lament) - Qaj (cry)
Iomadh (much) - Madh (large,a lot)

I definitely disagree about the last one, because you must not let yourself be confused by Irish or Albanian orthography. The fact that it's "dh" (or /ð/) in Albanian suggests that it comes from an earlier *mag´ or *mag´h. Because of this, I believe the word is related with Latin 'magis' and Greek 'megas', instead (note that I'm unaware of a cognate of that word in a Celtic language).

EDIT: Also, "dh" in Irish, at least at a final position is silent. I'm also confused which language you took those words from, because lament is 'caoin' in Irish, and 'caoidh' in Scottish Gaelic.

Last edited:
for us to read Iapetoc he should publish sth and then we can be in a position to see who writes bullshit among the two, a forumer with a nickname or the arvanite Aristidh Kola.

So according to your explanation of - breg - deti - anije - we can conclude that they are old words (not recent loans), used by people living around the same territory as Albs and preserved with this meaning only in the Albanian language (deti and anije).

every Greek philologist that reads Kolla laughs, :LOL:

Now about loans or origin

as I said many times for me ancient Illyrian was not Albanian
but a mix of Celtic + a non IE (minor-asian or Arcado-Cypriot (para phoenician))
later enter the messapic in area
and a colony of Dacian the Germidava, the ones Greek call thermidava, the ptolemys Albanopolis,
is the start area of the Albanian language wich later with Army of Maniakis and the pop movements of Anju and Hunyades gathered there,
Pre Albanian was a Daco-Thracian language which overwhelmed the Illyrian but kept words from old languages and loans,
I don't want to claim that Breg is a loan from Greek or from Celtic etc, But I am sure that is Old Illyrian (either as loan from greek or celtic either as PIE origin) which survived in modern Albanian since they might have no sea words
same with anie, probably from the non IE branch of Illyrian that survive after the Albanization,

and that is also the mistake of kolla, Kolla claims that Dorians were Albanians and try to connect in Homeric,
But from the survived of Dorian dialects we find a totaly non ALbanian language, check Tsakonian dialect, which is the most vivid example of ancient Dorian, more than Grico of South Italy,
Γρουσσα να μου Τσακωνικα Grussa na mu Tsakonika (my language is tsakonika)
ρωταετε να σας επω (rotaete na sas epo) ask me to tell you
just tell in it Albanian to see any connection,

as for rest better read the posts, and read again Kolla and then start, eponymous does not make you wise,

every Greek philologist that reads Kolla laughs, :LOL:

Now about loans or origin

as I said many times for me ancient Illyrian was not Albanian
but a mix of Celtic + a non IE (minor-asian or Arcado-Cypriot (para phoenician))
later enter the messapic in area
and a colony of Dacian the Germidava, the ones Greek call thermidava, the ptolemys Albanopolis,
is the start area of the Albanian language wich later with Army of Maniakis and the pop movements of Anju and Hunyades gathered there,
Pre Albanian was a Daco-Thracian language which overwhelmed the Illyrian but kept words from old languages and loans,
I don't want to claim that Breg is a loan from Greek or from Celtic etc, But I am sure that is Old Illyrian (either as loan from greek or celtic either as PIE origin) which survived in modern Albanian since they might have no sea words
same with anie, probably from the non IE branch of Illyrian that survive after the Albanization,

and that is also the mistake of kolla, Kolla claims that Dorians were Albanians and try to connect in Homeric,
But from the survived of Dorian dialects we find a totaly non ALbanian language, check Tsakonian dialect, which is the most vivid example of ancient Dorian, more than Grico of South Italy,
Γρουσσα να μου Τσακωνικα Grussa na mu Tsakonika (my language is tsakonika)
ρωταετε να σας επω (rotaete na sas epo) ask me to tell you
just tell in it Albanian to see any connection,

as for rest better read the posts, and read again Kolla and then start, eponymous does not make you wise

I heard this before, but what is confusing is that in the ancient times celtic ( i have read this from many web sites ) was a language and not a tribe, so did you mean gallic-celts or germanic-celts. gallic tribes where in eastern austria at the time, like the taurisci and carni tribes.
celtic is a culture now btw

well I said Celtic tribes, if you like celtic speaking tribes is ok I think

the certain is P celtic,
P celtic speaking tribes many times entered Balkans,
compare the later scordisci Galates etc
I believe that from N Italy to Pannoni Basin (modern serbia) the area was full of Celtic speaking tribes

the mistake of Greeks, or the misunderstanding is that Greek writters believed that Celtic were sons of Illyrians, probably due to pop, the connection although is clear, for example we know about Liburnian, but do not see connection of Liburnian with Illyros,
so the result is that was a connection in ancient Illyrian with Celtic, the mistake is that Illyrians were a mix of locals + a non IE plus Celtic,

the difference among Thracians and Celtic and Illyrian speaking it was clear I believe in Ancient Greek writers

So...hmm with all this loaned words what words are actually albanian?

So...hmm with all this loaned words what words are actually albanian?

Well, Albanian has a substantial amount of loanwords, so much is clear. But I've provided enough examples here at the beginning of 'native' words that are clearly derived from PIE without borrowings from elsewhere.

Illyria state included a few tribes placed in the south of the western Balkans (Autariates were noted in some sources as formers of this state). All authors have mentioned it in their writings to avoid misunderstanding, since all of them were using "Illyrians" for all of these people. Literacy was not some part of Illyrian culture so our knowledge about them came from Greek and Roman inscriptions. Illyrians were a tribe (Illyroi, Ilyrii) in present-day Albania for early Greek writers, they were several tribes in the age of Illyria state for later Greek writers (Authariates, Taulanti,...), they were tens of tribes for Roman writers in the age of forming Illyricum province of the Roman Empire.
Stipčević mentioned around 70 different tribes in his "Iliri" book. This article uses the name in the same manner as the authors of the sources so... for Liburni, Delmatae, Iapodes, Histrii, Daesitiaes, Maezaei, Dindari, Oseriates, Deuri, Daorsi, Vardaei and so on... Actually they didn't call themselves "Illyrians", neither the habitants of Illyria did (there's no proof)! That's how Greeks and Romans call them and so do we at present.
the way it stands regarding the Illyrian-Albanian issue is too simplistic. It states that scholars think Albanians are descended from Illyrians, or if not, then Dacians. However, most scholars now - even certain Albanologists from Albania- plainly state, that in fact we do not know where they are from. There is more evidence against an Illyrian origin than for it. So this article would be better if it clarified that whilst some theorists that Albanians descended from Illyrians (if we forget the 1000 year gap between the two groups) , in reality we do not know where they are from (due to lack of any significant Albanian chronicles or state in the Balkans).

The main part of Illyrians was probably formed of autochtonuous I1b, Thracians of E3b, proto-Greeks of J2. It's possible that Dorian migration was actually migration of some proto-Illyrians to the south east where they were lately Helenised during Iron Age. It gives explanation why many authors find ancient Macedones as "perfect" admixture of Illyrians, Greeks and Thracians. In the same place there is perfect admixture of I1b, E3b and J2 even at present. Modern Albanians fall into the same gene pool. Language doesn't help too much here because it's very unstable component in ethnogenesis processes,
Since albanian is most E then thracian seems the origin of albanians

Illyria state included a few tribes placed in the south of the western Balkans (Autariates were noted in some sources as formers of this state). All authors have mentioned it in their writings to avoid misunderstanding, since all of them were using "Illyrians" for all of these people. Literacy was not some part of Illyrian culture so our knowledge about them came from Greek and Roman inscriptions. Illyrians were a tribe (Illyroi, Ilyrii) in present-day Albania for early Greek writers, they were several tribes in the age of Illyria state for later Greek writers (Authariates, Taulanti,...), they were tens of tribes for Roman writers in the age of forming Illyricum province of the Roman Empire.
Stipčević mentioned around 70 different tribes in his "Iliri" book. This article uses the name in the same manner as the authors of the sources so... for Liburni, Delmatae, Iapodes, Histrii, Daesitiaes, Maezaei, Dindari, Oseriates, Deuri, Daorsi, Vardaei and so on... Actually they didn't call themselves "Illyrians", neither the habitants of Illyria did (there's no proof)! That's how Greeks and Romans call them and so do we at present.
the way it stands regarding the Illyrian-Albanian issue is too simplistic. It states that scholars think Albanians are descended from Illyrians, or if not, then Dacians. However, most scholars now - even certain Albanologists from Albania- plainly state, that in fact we do not know where they are from. There is more evidence against an Illyrian origin than for it. So this article would be better if it clarified that whilst some theorists that Albanians descended from Illyrians (if we forget the 1000 year gap between the two groups) , in reality we do not know where they are from (due to lack of any significant Albanian chronicles or state in the Balkans).

The main part of Illyrians was probably formed of autochtonuous I1b, Thracians of E3b, proto-Greeks of J2. It's possible that Dorian migration was actually migration of some proto-Illyrians to the south east where they were lately Helenised during Iron Age. It gives explanation why many authors find ancient Macedones as "perfect" admixture of Illyrians, Greeks and Thracians. In the same place there is perfect admixture of I1b, E3b and J2 even at present. Modern Albanians fall into the same gene pool. Language doesn't help too much here because it's very unstable component in ethnogenesis processes,
Since albanian is most E then thracian seems the origin of albanians

well explained,

My arguments
Dorians and dorian language is clearly Greek the most Celtic-sound Branch of 4 Greeks dialects compare with Ionian which is more Anatolian

about Makedonians Iapetoc described a good and quite precise time event, in a simmilar thread

the problem is that E in Balkans is not Greek not Albanian not Thracian same as G
E is imported at the times of Cadmus probably around 2000 BC when copper (Κυπρος) trade was in its high,
E is possibly Levantine or south minor asian and connects exactly as time the history of Cadmus and Illyrus
G is south minor asian and probably an allie of Troyans
G fits exactly with the Hattians in minor asia
the most certain is that E expand to Illyria when Illyros invade or defend the Celtic that entered Illyria,
somewhere I read that Illyros tomb was an exhibit until Christians destroy it
that means that area of Upper Makedonia and parts of Illyria were habited by a non IE people,
for example in Cadmus capital thebes we found the Atalanti in Illyros we found the Taulanti and in Crete the Talos and meny other,

dorians and their language has nothinbg to do Illyria,
from their starting point infact we might say that they were R1a
although Linguistically they sound more Celtic

many scholars claim that Dorians was a Bryges sub-tribe

the move of E to Dardania can easily be explained with the invasion of Illyros and cadmus in Both Greece and Illyria,
while in case of Thracia is probably after Nova roma or even before from Epigoni times

Now about Makedonia and its cities-states or nations,

Makedonia has 2 Greek Branches The Argeiads, The Locri (Locri is probably the mother tribe of Dorians)
1 main tribe that Makedonian also recogn as Holy or Mother tribe the Bryges (especially their remnants the Mygdonians)
the Pelasgian remnants especially in Upper makedonia and Ematheia (Holy land, Mat-tio or mat-dias)
the thracian remnants like Pieri who worship Eorda or Arda and Sirris,
Meaning a family of Thracian tribes that are not that much connected with the odrysee ones or the tribali etc,
remember that Paeon is considered son Agrios meaning that these tribes like Paiones are Thracian but share more with Greeks
we might say of Greek influence.

the connection among Illyrians and Macedonians is that both had a simmilar ancestor ( in partial) , The around pelagonia E people,
in south of lake Lychnitis was Cadmus lands means more Thebeans (more Greek influenced) while in North was more Illyrian
meaning that southern Pelasgians accepted easily the Greek while Northerns accepted easily the Illyrian

on a general point you are correct that Makedonians were a mix of Greeks with Thracian and Pelagonians,
A core of Bottiaioi Thettaloi Argeiads Locri which allied or Unify Thracians and Pelagonians
Illyrian we might say that were relatives due to Pelagoanians.

the three words discussed in detail here - breg - deti - anije - are not loanwords, in fact deti and anije spoken by people in the pre-historic Balkans are preserved unchanged only in the Albanian language. We can see ANIE in ancient scripts.

let's continue with the topic.
[h=3]Proto-IE features[/h] The demonstrative pronoun *ko is ancestral to Albanian ky/kjo and English he.
Englishmonthnewmothersisternightnosethreeblackredgreenyellowwolf
Lithuanianmėnesisnaujasmotinasesuonaktisnosistrysjuodasraudonasžaliasgeltonasvilkas
Old Church Slavonicměsęcьnovъmatisestranoštьnosъtri(je)črъnъčrъvenъzelenъžьltъvlьkъ
Czechměsícnovýmatkasestranocnostřičernýčervenýzelenýžlutývlk
Ancient Greekμήν
mḗn
νέος
néos
μήτηρ
mḗter
ἀδελφή
adelphḗ
νύξ
nýks
ῥίς
rhís
τρεῖς
treîs
μέλας
mélas
ἐρυθρός
erythrós
χλωρός
khlōrós
ξανθός
ksanthós
λύκος
lýkos
Armenianամիս
amis
նոր
nor
մայր
mayr
քույր
k'uyr
գիշեր
gišer
քիթ
k'it
երեք
yerek'
սեւ
sev
կարմիր
karmir
կանաչ
kanač
դեղին
deġin
գայլ
gayl
Latinmēnsisnovusmātersorornoxnāsustrēsāter, nigerruberviridisflāvuslupus
Irishnuadhmáthairsiúroidhchesróntrídubhruadhglasbuidhefaolchú
Sanskritmāsanavamātṛsvasṛnakta/nishnasatrikālarudhiraharipītavṛka

Albanian and other Indo-European languages
Albanian muaj ri nënë motër natë hundë tre zi kuq gjelbërt verdhë ujk
Other Indo-European languages

Some cognates with Illyrian:

[h=3]Early Greek loans[/h] There are some 30 ancient-Greek loanwords in Albanian, of which some relate to north-western Doric Greek, which point to contacts with Doric colonies in Albanian coast and inland.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albanian_language#cite_note-82 Early Greek loanwords borrowed into Albanian mainly denoted commodity items and trade goods.

the three words discussed in detail here - breg - deti - anije - are not loanwords, in fact deti and anije spoken by people in the pre-historic Balkans are preserved unchanged only in the Albanian language.

I've mentioned before, cognates of "Breg" exist in other branches of Indo-European (Celtic, Germanic, Italic, Armenian and Indo-Iranic), where the word generally means something related to "high" (or in the case of Latin, strong). Since the word is "Breg" in Albanian and not *breð or "Bredh" (which would be expected) this must be a loanword in Albanian, just like it is into the Slavic languages.

If as you claim, these words have no cognates in other languages, we would have to expect them to be pre-Indo-European. I am very sceptical of that notion.

We can see ANIE in ancient scripts.

Could you cite or provide a link where you got that from? I'd be interested to see your source there.

let's continue with the topic.

Why did you cut off Albanian from that table? It's a very good example to show some of the "semantic anomalies" which I mentioned at the beginning: motër, verdhë, gjelbert.

There is also this Greek loanword:

trumzë "thyme" < Doric Greek thýmbrā, thrýmbrē

The word above is interesting because it shows what I mentioned before that Classical Greek /tʰ/ was rendered as /t/ into Albanian.

Last edited:
By the way, there is an etymology for "det":

"Shortening of dialectal dēt, from archaic dejt, dejët (Arbëreshë), from Proto-Albanian *deubeta, from pre-Albanian *dʰéubetos, enlargement of Proto-Indo-European *dʰeubos ‘deep’ (compare English deep, Lithuanian dubùs)."

Now 'deep' is a very good word to circumscribe the sea, isn't it?

For the record, the loss of intermediate /b/ is attested in Albanian, in particular from Latin loanwords:

Latin 'cubitus' ("cubit") > kut (yardstick)
Latin 'bubulcus' ("ploughman") > bujk (farmer)

Likewise, for "anije", I would suggest a relationship with the Albanian word 'enë' (dish).

Last edited:
Well, Albanian has a substantial amount of loanwords, so much is clear. But I've provided enough examples here at the beginning of 'native' words that are clearly derived from PIE without borrowings from elsewhere.

Yes, i know albanian has lots of borrowings and maybe i'm blind or dumb but i couldn't find any post where you mentioned any native word directly from PIE.

1)So do you know any word in albanian that is directly from PIE?
2)'kut' is an albanian word?
3)Could you determine what language the word 'goja', 'mouth' english, is borrowed from? Or if it is from PIE without borrowing? (just my curiosity)
4)For smo like me who isn't an expert and knows nearly shit about languages can you explain in few words what Satem and Centum languages are?

Thanks, hope i didn't bother you.

Yes, i know albanian has lots of borrowings and maybe i'm blind or dumb but i couldn't find any post where you mentioned any native word directly from PIE.

3)Could you determine what language the word 'goja', 'mouth' english, is borrowed from? Or if it is from PIE without borrowing? (just my curiosity)
4)For smo like me who isn't an expert and knows nearly shit about languages can you explain in few words what Satem and Centum languages are?

As per #3 ...............goja is venetian slang for throat, the proper spelling is gola, but the l is what linguistics call the venetian vanishing l.
so its pronounced ( go...ar ) The j in the Venetian alphabet ( italian does not have J ) is a y sound in the mainland , but can disappear in colonial Venet
Another example is the word for the city of Milano, its spelt Milan with a vanishing l , so its pronounced ( me ..arn )
http://books.google.com.au/books?id...EwAA#v=onepage&q=venetian vanishing l&f=false

One of the 5 dialects of Venetian is called Colonial venet and runs from istria to Montenegro, greek islands , so goja could be part of this.

I know of the word 'Gola' but also it is 'ingoia' which is 'swallow'. The sound J and I are very similar in albanian when prounced like U and Y so not rarely italian words from I have became a J.

Besides 'Gola' means throat, 'Ingoia' is swallow and 'Goja' is mouth. Could it be that 'ingoia' meant smth like 'in the mouth'? And during the times the word 'goia' was lost or became/got substituted by 'bocca' ?

Amongst the words mentioned earlier in this thread, I would like to explicitly mention the following words:

- motër (sister in Albanian, but "mother" in other IE languages)
- dhëlper ("fox", coming from PIE literally 'yellow one')
- dhëmb (tooth)
- gjeth (leaf)
- djeg (to burn)
- sjell (to turn)
- gjen (to find)
- qen (dog)
- qe (that)
- jap (to give)
- kap (to grasp)
- ari (bear)
- botë (world)
- qaj (to cry)

- basic numerals (një, dy, tre, katër, pesë, gjashtë, shtatë, tetë, nentë, dhjetë), but not the words for "hundred", which is in turn a compound word derived from Latin ('njëqind' = Alb. 'nje' = one + Lat. "centum' = "hundred").

(note that the list is obviously far from exhausted :) )

Yes, I've found it in Albanian dictionaries.

I will get back to that later.

"Centum" and "Satem" describes a fundamental distinction (and sound laws) of the Indo-European languages, going back to the treatment of sounds found in Proto-Indo-European called the "palatovelars". These are usually labled:

*k´ *g´ *g´h

The names "Centum" and "Satem" derive from the Latin (Centum) and Avestan (Satem) words for "hundred", which are representative of these sound laws and the two groups of languages inside Indo-European that are respectively Centum languages and Satem languages. In the Centum languages, these palatovelars are merged with the so-called 'plain' velars (*k, *g, *gh). In the Satem languagese, the palatovelars are instead turned into s/z/sh-like sounds.

Centum languages include:
- the Celtic languages
- the Germanic languages
- the Italic languages (Latin and the modern Romance languages)
- Greek
- Tocharian (an extinct language spoken in western China)

Satem languages include:
- the Baltic languages
- the Slavic languages
- Dacian and Thracian
- Albanian
- Armenian
- the Indo-Iranic languages

In Albanian *k´ generally becomes "th", whereas *g´ and *g´h become "dh" (there are a few additional rules, which I elaborated on earlier in this thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 295685 times.

Back