French Ethnicity

I take on again, about general problems of evaluating demic contributions in the making of ancient and today populations - often enough I read Romans carried Y-E1b + Y-J2 + maybe some Y-G2a...
Roman people was a mixture yet + true italic people came from North and the Osco-Ombrian ones (surely arrived with the beginning of Villanova culture) carried also Y-R1b (the majority, I guess, was R-U152/S28) + the roman legions was made of a lot of foreign people taken among the tribes Roma vainquished, often among the VERY people of the lands Roma occupied even if it's surprising for us- So it's very difficult to guess the true weight of the Roma armies in genetics, I think - surely the bulk of "true" roman (civil) citizens firstable settled the closer regions and countries - (for J,G, E, it would be necessary to have the details of the SNPs and STRs in play)

i do not understand your meaning of arrived with the beginning of Villanova culture.
The aboriginal cultures of italy are 4 only.
ligurian in all of northern italy
umbrian from the po river down to rome
osci from rome and the rest of mainland italy and the
sicels of sicily.

etruscans, romans, veneti, greek, illyrian, lombards, celts etc etc are all immigrants.
the romans are descendent from a southern etruscan tribe

the term osco-umbrian reflects all of mainland italy except north of the po river

i do not understand your meaning of arrived with the beginning of Villanova culture.
The aboriginal cultures of italy are 4 only.
ligurian in all of northern italy
umbrian from the po river down to rome
osci from rome and the rest of mainland italy and the
sicels of sicily.

etruscans, romans, veneti, greek, illyrian, lombards, celts etc etc are all immigrants.
the romans are descendent from a southern etruscan tribe

the term osco-umbrian reflects all of mainland italy except north of the po river

Maybe (it' svery possible in fact) you know more than me about italy History-
some personal thoughts:
none of the peoples you mention can be looked at it as "aboriginal" (if 'aboriginal' has a sense)
If you speak of Ligurians of the Bell Beaker period (<-2000 to ???) they was indo-european speakers (language close to celtic an italic) even if certainly they had mixed with previous neolithic (numerous?) and mesolithic (scarce,) populations -
For the Osci and Umbrian tribes, i believed (maybe I misred some text) than as 'P-' Otalics they was arrived in the Peninsula only at the beginning of Iron Age (linked to Villanova)

Romans was descendants for the most of latin Qw- italic people and I red they was supposed to enter Italy before Osco-Umbrians – maybe as for celtic this chronoligical dichotomy between languages in Qw- >< P- is a misconception ? I'm not up-to-date for that I confess – but some Italic people the Latins derived from was very early in Italy (Terramare?) - I read now in Wikipedia that Sicles/Siculi and Latins are considered as villanovian culturally, it's new for me...What is sure is that in every case all these peoples was coming from North after others and was not autochtonous at all... it could explain the relatively high presence of Y-R1b-U152 in South Italy & Sicily without search on the Normand side (whoever gave them this R-U152 (Indo-European ancestor, other population) -
$: R-U152 is prevalent amon North Corsican (fathers only, an other story for the mums?) and it's tempting to link it to the Bell Beakers Culture period (someones did it)

- for Romans = Etruscans, it's not the prevalent theory among scholars for now – not a demic origin, only a sometime elite – and Empire Romans of italy was a mix with all kinds of Italics, Etruscans, Ligurians and previous and newcome other populations been accultured (Celts, Veneti, some Greeks...) - Lombards came after -

Buona notte - god natt - nos vad -

the term osco-umbrian reflects all of mainland italy except north of the po river[/QUOTE]

Maybe (it' svery possible in fact) you know more than me about italy History-
some personal thoughts:
none of the peoples you mention can be looked at it as "aboriginal" (if 'aboriginal' has a sense)
If you speak of Ligurians of the Bell Beaker period (<-2000 to ???) they was indo-european speakers (language close to celtic an italic) even if certainly they had mixed with previous neolithic (numerous?) and mesolithic (scarce,) populations -
For the Osci and Umbrian tribes, i believed (maybe I misred some text) than as 'P-' Otalics they was arrived in the Peninsula only at the beginning of Iron Age (linked to Villanova)

Romans was descendants for the most of latin Qw- italic people and I red they was supposed to enter Italy before Osco-Umbrians – maybe as for celtic this chronoligical dichotomy between languages in Qw- >< P- is a misconception ? I'm not up-to-date for that I confess – but some Italic people the Latins derived from was very early in Italy (Terramare?) - I read now in Wikipedia that Sicles/Siculi and Latins are considered as villanovian culturally, it's new for me...What is sure is that in every case all these peoples was coming from North after others and was not autochtonous at all... it could explain the relatively high presence of Y-R1b-U152 in South Italy & Sicily without search on the Normand side (whoever gave them this R-U152 (Indo-European ancestor, other population) -
$: R-U152 is prevalent amon North Corsican (fathers only, an other story for the mums?) and it's tempting to link it to the Bell Beakers Culture period (someones did it)

- for Romans = Etruscans, it's not the prevalent theory among scholars for now – not a demic origin, only a sometime elite – and Empire Romans of italy was a mix with all kinds of Italics, Etruscans, Ligurians and previous and newcome other populations been accultured (Celts, Veneti, some Greeks...) - Lombards came after -

Buona notte - god natt - nos vad -

[/QUOTE]

i am talking bronze age
You should know that ligurians where roughly from montpellier through north italy until nearly at vienna. the majority of grves are between the rhone and the french alps.
North east italy - history says the veneti landed in the area and pushed out the ligurian euganei tribe. On and , near vienna, settle by taurisci a gallic-ligurian people

there was no romans, only from the arrival of the etruscans in about 900BC , which says on the settled land, the southern border was the tiber river and beyond was the osci.
factual italian scholars , say Roman evolved from etruscans .............."fantasy " italian scholars maintain that they come from trojans.

I refer to the naming of aboriginal as the indigenous people of the land

The Q Italic speakers are descended from Vucedol culture while P Italics speakers are descended from Cnetral european urnfielder

IS spoke about Empire Romans because this topic is about French Ethnicity & the diverse movements of people that can have contributed to its demic formation - 'roman' is a final stage where melted a lot of different populations, making hard to figure out correctly the impact Romans could have had on the countries they occupied because the carried a lot of different ligneages -
" Romans" send by the Empire to other lands was not the first Romans whatever the impact of Etruscans impact I believe it was important for culture, not so for demography...

I'm sry2627+ my Y dna line came from Cognac

This thread has been viewed 37128 times.

Back