Negative Rh factor-implications?

Nasturtium

Reaction score
Ethnic group
UK/German/Irish
mtDNA haplogroup
J1c3i
I have become curious about the implications of negative Rh factor- health, race & ethnicity, history??? At 23andme, I set up a poll to verify a SNP for Rh factor, and I was amazed how common the deletion is among Europeans. It seemed more Europeans were either DI or DD than II...also I've done polls for other SNP's where Europeans have very different allele percentages than Asians or Africans. I've found blood clotting SNP's that only Europeans have certain rare genotypes and wondered if negative Rh factor played a role. Does anyone know? Btw, I'm DI, hubby is DI, son is DD, daughter Rh positive (either DI or II). Thanks!

the rh - negetive is not only in europeans my father is complete middle eastern
yet he is blood type O NEGETIVE RH- it is much more common among basque
but still it is not european exclucively
genetic code

I'm not exactly sure how the middle east plays our race wise...but aren't people from certain middle eastern countries considered caucasian? I know we were exploring the topic (on a different forum) before King Tut's haplogroup came out...and it became evident that in Egypt, certain regions were dominated by African lineages...whereas, other regions had European. I'd expect the middle east to have differing concentrations of Asian, Caucasian, and African lineages depending on region, location, history...Regardless, negative RH factor does occur in other groups, it appears, per this website, it's very low among Asians, about 25% for Africans, and highest in Europe, particularly the Basques:

http://anthro.palomar.edu/vary/vary_3.htm

Again at 23andme, the rate for negative RH Factor seemed high. Also, I've noticed how one particular person: an Irish person, from Ireland with only Irish ancestors, and who tracks in the middle of "Irish" in global similarity shares highly with so many people...even people who share poorly with each other. I always assumed the high sharing percentage among so many people was due to generations back Irish ancestry...and it may be the case...but I've started to wonder if that's Basque heritage that's getting picked up. I should note that at 23andme, it's very difficult to get "Irish" global similarity...so many people who self identify as Irish were coming up something else. At one point, this Irish person was the only one in there...even among other Irish, living in Ireland!

Here's a website making what I think are some pretty "far-out" claims, but I really am curious what the implications are for Rh negative blood types:

"There are other physical characteristics of humans which are typically associated with Rh-negative blood, but which in the present scenario would be regarded as belonging to the N-people. These include early maturity, large head and eyes, high IQ [6], or an extra vertebra (a 'tail bone' -- called a 'cauda'), lower than normal body temperature, lower than normal blood pressure, and higher mental analytical abilities [5]."

http://www.aoi.com.au/bcw/neanderbasque.htm

Rh- is found in all racial groups, not only in Europeans. I know some Japanese who are Rh-. The frequency is higher is some parts of Europe (maybe a founder effect in some regions), but that's all.

But does anyone know the reason for the trait? Does it confer anything? Given the complications to a positive rh fetus of a negative rh mother, why is the allele so common? Shouldn't this trait have long ago been "bred out" , unless of course, there is a benefit to having it. If it is a founder effect, then doesn't that imply somehow the trait is beneficial to those who carry it? It seems to be beneficial for the Basques, or else they do not procreate outside their group (does history support that?), minimizing the possibility of rh neg mothers/rh pos fetus'. It's hard to believe rh factor confers nothing more than a statistic on a blood donor card.

Rh- is found in all racial groups, not only in Europeans. I know some Japanese who are Rh-. The frequency is higher is some parts of Europe (maybe a founder effect in some regions), but that's all.

That is mistaken. While there are native Rh- types in other populations those are of a different type than that found in Europe (including the Middle East in this case). Furthermore virtually all of the rest of the world is Rh+ to the degree that Rh- blood type is so rare as to be virtually unheard of in any other population, while some 40% of Europeans carry at least one allele for their own version of Rh- and some 15% are fully Rh-.

The European version is unique and the degree of saturation is exceptional, well more than a full order of magnitude above the degree of presence of all other types found anywhere else.. The version is so unique that its presence even as a single allele is taken as solid proof of some European ancestry some place back along the line. Full European Rh- blood type expression indicates that both parents had at least one European ancestor at some point even when family histories deny it.

I am not going to get into a discussion on this here, but I stumbled on this thread and joined to make the above correction. The data is sound and widely available for the simple effort of googling up the medical research. I am not advocating any speculation on what that means, because nobody knows what the implications are.

Something more about Rh- you would like to know

If you’re Rh-, it’s vital that you know regardless of whether your second half is actually Rh- too. In the event that he or she isn’t, there’s the chance that your child may have a bloodstream group that is incompatible with your own, and also this may cause issues.
Exactly why is the Rhesus element essential in being pregnant?
When the bloodstream of anybody who’s Rh- makes connection with Rh+ blood, it'll respond to it as being ‘foreign’ and definitely will create antibodies towards the Rh+ tissue which will destroy them away. This functions in very similar way because whenever your bloodstream develops antibodies towards the cells associated with viruses, such as colds as well as flu, to be able to eliminate all of them. So that as along with antibodies to common colds and flu virus, when the antibodies in order to Rh+ cells allow us within the bloodstream of somebody who's Rh-, they remain there.

If your Rh- woman includes a Rh+ partner, it’s most likely that their own baby is going to be Rh+. Which means that in the event that her bloodstream makes connection with her baby’s, she’ll create antibodies into it? This really is unlikely to occur throughout a very first pregnancy, but could occur once the baby has been born, whenever most of its blood could get into the woman's circulation. Additionally, it may take place in the event that she's got the miscarriage or perhaps a termination or even, sometimes, following an amniocentesis or even CVS check. Whether it will
happen, the girl will create antibodies towards the Rh+ bloodstream. They won’t impact her very first baby whatsoever, however they’ll remain in her bloodstream just in case your woman will become expecting once again, difficulties can occur.
If your Rh- lady who may have antibodies in her own blood is actually pregnant having a Rh+ baby, it’s feasible for her antibodies to feed towards the infant and harm and even ruin the baby’s red-colored blood tissue. This may lead to the infant getting anemic or even building jaundice, or even often in order to much more serious problems.

Rh negative genes are especially common among Basques. The next most frequent areas are nearby parts of France and Spain.

Rh negative genes are especially common among Basques. The next most frequent areas are nearby parts of France and Spain.

It gets even better. see the L.P. areas on the map adjacent, Swat Valley. Found in Sweden or Norway?
Swat_NWFP.svg

This map is of Lactase Persistent allele in India:
indianmilk.jpg

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2011/09/the-gift-of-the-gopi/#.U0F4HfldUYl

This LP hotspot in india is located in the region called "Haryana"!!!
250px-India_Haryana_locator_map.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haryana[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the numbers in south east asia are so low, it would make sense assuming the original Asians were 100 percent rh positive. Just like the native Americans from both north and south america. enough groups have entered south east asia from elsewhere to make it logical that the rh negative blood factor as low as it might be, was imported rather than homegrown.

africa on the other hand has around 3 percent rh negs and the yoruba people for example are a lot higher. they also happen to have neanderthal dna which hardly exists in africa.

There are also small areas in Holland and Switzerland where rh negative frequencies equal that of the Basques. And parts of Morocco where small Berber colonies reportedly have as much as 40% rh negatives. It goes beyond country or region. Also more than 30 percent rh negatives in north west scotland.

This thread has been viewed 21516 times.

Back