basque

1. M

Basques more WHG or Neolithic

One interesting detail about Basques, the only people that preserve relative old languages indigenous to Europe, Is that they have a lot more I2(Native) than G2(Inmigrant agriculturalist). Among Western European men the I2:G haplogroups ratio is way more 'equilibrated'. But for some reason...
  2. M

R1b came as inmigrants to Spain

I will launch this hypothesis because the data that would allow you to determine things like this, needs to be: 1)available, 2)published, 3)and noticed. But this is the only explanation I can imagine for the presence of R1b in Spain & Portugal without the IndoEuropean languages. A conqueror...
  3. M

I2 & J2 in Basques

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-84915-1#ref-CR19 Turns out it's not only R1b the only haplogroup that has suffered a total bottleneck in precivilizational times. All I2 and J2a in Basques can be traced back to a single man in the Neolithic and Chalcolithic(historic times in the...
  4. M

Basques repopulated Spain during the Reconquista

Nowadays R1b is very common is Spain, like 70-75%. And it's domestic(Basque origin) downstream DF-27 makes like 40%. But here's the thing, during al-Andalus times most haplogroups were Berber/Arabic. So we have to assume a population substitution. We have to take into account that war is very...
  5. M

Basques & H Haplogroup

I want to bring yet again the topic of Basque particularism. This is by no means a new topic, it is well known in a good chunk of fields like historiography, linguistics... Lets start with Basques being linguistically isolated with the rest of Europe. Speaking a language that doesn't come...
  6. P

Is Basque an Indo-European language or not?

I've read some of Gianfranco Forni's texts on how Basque actually is an Indo-European language. Is it true, or not? And if not, can you debunk it in detail?
  7. PaterKeklos

Was R1b-V88 the culprit for the outdated "all R1b's are Basque" theory?

So I only recently, about 3 months ago, decided to start reading up on ancient European genetics because the last time I had researched it (probably in 2010), the prevailing theory was: -There was a refugia in the Basque region and one in Ukraine somewhere. The Basque one was all R1b's made of...
  8. B

The Population Genomics Of Archaeological Transition In West Iberia

now also West-Iberian DNA http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2017/05/10/134254 after a long dry period, it is raining new publications today it will take me some time to digest
  9. Maciamo

Spectacular Magdalenian cave etchings discovered in Basque country

BBC News: Cave art: Etchings hailed as 'Iberia's most spectacular' "Cave art as much as 14,500 years old has been pronounced "the most spectacular and impressive" ever discovered on the Iberian peninsula. About 50 etchings were found in the Basque town of Lekeitio. They include horses, bison...
  10. Maciamo

New map of the Atlantic admixture (Eurogenes K15)

The autosomal analysis of Haak et al 2015 samples showed that Mesolithic Russian lacked the Atlantic admixture from Eurogenes K15 now found throughout Europe, even among Uralic speakers (Finns, Saami, Mordovians, Udmurts). Some Yamna genomes also lacked it, while others carried only a few per...
  11. Maciamo

How did the Basques become R1b

We have discussed this topic extensively in various threads on the forum over the years, but there doesn't seem to be one thread dedicated to the subject. I will summarise my thoughts here so that I don't have to repeat myself every time. As I have explained in my R1b history, between 2500 and...
  12. Maciamo

Deep Y-DNA subclades tested in Northern Spain & Gascony (including R1b subclades)

Begoña Martínez-Cruz et al. (2012) studied the frequencies of Y-haplogroups in the Spanish and French Basque country, Gascony, Navarra, La Rioja, northern Aragon, Cantabria, and northern Castille & Leon. There are 835 samples, making it the biggest and most detailed study for the region so far...
  13. T

Ancient place names in Iberia

Since the discussion recently came up, I would like to elaborate the situation on the Iberian penninsula in Antiquity a bit, especially on the aspect of linguistic heterogenity. Note that the analysis below excludes the Basque-Aquitanian and Iberian areas in the east and southeast of Iberia, and...
  14. RH NEG-I

RH negative factor

Hello everyone thank you for having me. This is my first post though I have read many. My question is regarding the genetic trending effect that the RH negative blood factor may have had on ancient people, primarily so called "caucasions" since the factor is almost exclusive to those of European...
Back