cultures

1. EV13SON

Last Golden Era 50s or 60s?

Which of these two decade checks off more of what you would consider a Golden Era for the West? I consider the 70s and onwards as a definite decline in western culture but struggle between those two...
  2. Maciamo

New maps of the USA

Over the years I have created dozens of maps of Europe to help visualise the cultural, political, socio-economic, legal or lifestyle differences between countries. I thought it would be interesting to make similar maps for the United States, using the same scales and colours to facilitate...
  3. Maciamo

Spiral dynamics - the evolution of human cultures

I have recently come across the concept of spiral dynamics, a model of eight levels of increasingly complex human value systems (or vMemes) consisting of sets of world views, preferences, and purposes. Each level represent a new evolution in the way people interact within a society. The...
  4. Maciamo

Personality MBTI personality of countries

Here is a short summary of the Myers-Briggs Personality Types from Wikipedia: I would describe the 4 main dimensions a bit differently to quickly assess someone's personality. - Introverts (I) need time on their own to recharge their batteries. They value privacy and enjoy solitary...
  5. Maciamo

Society Daily TV watching time by country

I have made a map showing the average time spent watching TV (in minutes) in and around Europe. The data for this map comes from Statista (for Europe), Zenith OptiMedia (for the Middle East) and Ipsos (for Lebanon only). For the sake of comparison, Americans spend 270 minutes per day in front...
  6. Jovialis

Cultural Group Selection

I think this makes sense, cultural norms could also drive human evolution. For example, take the American diet, how much it can affect the physiology of individuals. Another example would be sexual-selection; who gets to reproduce, and what it takes to be successful in that particular society...
  7. Jovialis

How Culture Affects Depression

Very interesting article, because it also addresses the genetic factors associated with depression. East Asians have many genes that would cause depression. Probably inherited from their high Eastern Neanderthal/Denisovan admixture. Yet their culture may have developed in a way, to help them...
  8. Maciamo

Equipopulous redivision of the EU by cultural borders

I have found this map of Europe on BigThink. It shows what a European Union with 28 equipopulous member states would look like. But the division is far from arbitrary. I have thought about redividing the EU by considering the cultural, ethnic, linguistic and historical similarities between...
  9. Maciamo

ASD Do some cultures have more Asperger traits ?

I recently found out that I share many traits of characters with Aspies (people who have Asperger's syndrome). This includes being more honest, outspoken, rational, logical, analytical, perfectionist, conscientious or persistent. My mind also seems to work in a similar way. I am not a big fan of...
  10. Maciamo

You know you've been in Spain too long when...

After posting similar threads about Belgium, France, Italy, Germany, and Japan, I am completing the series of non-English-speaking countries in which I have lived. I am planning to do Britain later. Feel free to comment and add more lines about culture shock in Spain. :satisfied: You know...
  11. Maciamo

Personality Individualism, Autism, scientific minds and North European cultures

I stumbled on a list of typical traits of autistic people and I was quite surprised to see how many of them were also typically associated with individualistic cultures from Northern Europe (+ North America, Australia and New Zealand). Many traits are also typical of scientists and...
  12. H

What is the Next Step Towards Greater European Unification?

​What is the next step? Would it be too difficult considering the various political structures of member states, languages, lifestyles and cultures?
  13. Michael Folkesson

Politics [culture] What is the perception of European identity of non-European Europeans?

This seeming oxymoron and tongue twister came to me as I read the earlier thread called "European Identiy", discussing the existence of a common European identity. It seems as if peoples personal identity and perception of themselves is more complex than we often think about. Culture, physical...
  14. edao

Can Arab nations live in a democracy?

With the fall of dictators all over the Arab world, do you think Arab culture is capable of running a democracy? Should western nations stop trying to empose their values and cultural templates onto people from different cultures?
  15. edao

Politics Is Italian Culture Immature?

I recently watched a clip on youtube featuring one of Italy's prominent politicians Ignazio La Russa. I was appauled at the way he conducted himself in a debate that resorted to him engaging in a shouting match. Later the presenter and another politician behave in a similar fashion. I don't...
Back