agriculture

1. M

Haplogroup K & agriculture

https://haplotree.info/maps/ancient_dna/index.php?searchcolumn=&searchfor=&ybp=500000,0 Look at this map, in Turkey the blue skeletons, that represent the Early Holocene samples. The majority are G2 Y-haplogroups, with a significant minority of C-V20 among the ancient populations of early...
  2. Maciamo

Climate change Beef production causes 5x more greenhouse gas emissions than all air travel!

If you want to fight climate change, reducing beef consumption or completely stopping it would be far more effective than purchasing an electric car or cancelling your holiday plans abroad. Check this article. The Economist: Treating beef like coal would make a big dent in greenhouse-gas...
  3. Jovialis

Natufian bread cultivated by wild cereals may have led to farming

At an archaeological site in northeastern Jordan, researchers have discovered the charred remains of a flatbread baked by hunter-gatherers 14,400 years ago. It is the oldest direct evidence of bread found to date, predating the advent of agriculture by at least 4,000 years. The findings suggest...
  4. Jovialis

Hindcasting global population densities reveals forces enabling the origin of farming

The invention of agriculture changed humans and the environment forever, and over several thousand years, the practice originated independently in a least a dozen different places. But why did agriculture begin in those places, at those particular times in human history? Using a new...
  5. Jovialis

Ancient Baby Teeth from North Chile

ABSTRACT The transition to an agricultural economy is often presumed to involve an increase in female fertility related to changes in weaning practice. In particular, the availability of staple crops as complementary foods is hypothesized to allow earlier weaning in agricultural populations. In...
  6. Maciamo

Where and when were various plants and animals domesticated?

A lot of people interested in history and archaeology know that wheat, barley, chickpeas, and animals like sheep, goats, pigs and cows were all domesticated in the Fertile Crescent during the Early Neolithic period, between 12,500 and 10,000 years ago (perhaps as early as 20,000 years ago for...
  7. Jovialis

Metabolism (Hunter & Farmer Traits) Results - Insitome

According to this test by Insitome, half of my metabolic traits come from farmers; the other half from hunter-gatherers. I knew I could drink a lot of coffee! I would also adapt well to a vegetarian diet. ALDH2 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/217 ADH1B...
  8. Maciamo

Social psychologist claims that European individualism originated in wheat farming

The New Scientist reported last night a theory explaining why Europeans are generally individualists while East Asians are collectivists. According to Thomas Talhelm, a social psychologist the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, rice farming seems to have fostered collective thinking...
  9. Maciamo

Just how important were Y-haplogroups E-M34, J1 and T in the LBK culture ?

At present, ancient Y-DNA tests have only confirmed the presence of haplogroups G2a and F among the remains of Neolithic farmers from the Linear Pottery culture (LBK) in Central Europe. Elsewhere, only G2a and E-V13 have been found, besides the Mesolithic lineage I2a. Most people now agree that...
  10. LeBrok

Civilization is a function of population density.

I was contemplating a reason behind why hunter-gatherer societies never amounted to civilization status. it never happened although their cultures existed for few hundred thousand years. Civilization was the feat which was quickly achieved by agriculturalists within few thousands of years of...
  11. Maciamo

Is the high Jewish frequency of hg G representative of the pre-Arabic Levant ?

There is little doubt now that haplogroup G was one of the main lineages of the people who spread agriculture from the Levant to the Middle East and Europe. Early farming arose in the Levant, and the highest genetic diversity for haplogroup G is also found in the Levant. The odd thing is that hg...
  12. Maciamo

Major new paper on haplogroup G : new peaks in NW Caucaus, Palestine & Corsica

A new paper on haplogroup G by Rootsi et al. was published two days ago. They compiled a new database of some 1500 members of hg G spread over nearly 100 regions and listed frequencies in all these regions for 17 subclades of G. This is by far the most comprehensive study of hg G so far. I am...
  13. Maciamo

Neolithic farmers: Southwest Europeans or West Asians ?

Dienekes ran the fragments of autosomal DNA recovered from a Neolithic farmer buried in Sweden (dated 4800 to 4000 years before present). The results came up like this: Euro7 - 61.5% Northwestern European (Atlantic) - 21.4% Southeastern European - 17.1% Southwestern European 0% for the four...
Back