cornwall

1. A

G25 British Isles G25 Coords Request

I am looking for any regional (e.g. county-level) G25 coordinates (scaled) for any country in the British Isles (England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, or Northern Ireland). I'm using it to update an automatic heatmap painter I'm developing, and will PM a link to anyone who helps me out. All I...
  2. sparkey

Top 5 Most Celtic Places in England

Much can be made about the impact of the Anglo-Saxon invasion of England, and how they transformed the culture, language, and genetics of England. According to the People of the British Isles project, the majority of the English are genetically closely clustered, owing in no small part to their...
  3. sparkey

Folklore The legend of the Men Scryfa

The Men Scryfa is an ancient, tall standing stone near Land's End in Cornwall, with a rich tradition of legend associated with it. Its name means "Inscribed Stone" in Cornish, since it has something written on it: "RIALOBRANI CUNOVALI FILI," translated as "Royal Bran [a name meaning "raven"]...
  4. sparkey

Historical basis for King Mark of Cornwall

King Mark of Cornwall figures prominently in the Tristan and Iseult legend, in which Mark sends his nephew and adopted son, Tristan, to Ireland to fetch his wife-to-be, Iseult. Tristan falls in love with Iseult, usually told as being due to a love potion, and a complicated love triangle...
  5. sparkey

Cornwall: National history and myth

The south-westernmost peninsula of Great Britain, Cornwall is de jure a county and unitary district of England. It lacks an administrative separateness from England, unlike Wales and Scotland, yet maintains a distinct culturally Celtic identity. So, many Cornish consider themselves to be...
Back