g2a

1. Luso

Any information on G-Y65?

Hi, before my uncle passed away I had the pleasure of discovering that his paternal line is G-Y65. My family is from southern Portugal for at least 500-600 years from a place called Silves nearby the Monchique Mountains. Is there any good information or assumptions that can he made about this...
  2. Archetype0ne

G2a - What are the current hypotheses? What is the consensus?

I was searching Eupedia for G2a and most of the threads are very old, with very little recent discussion. I was wondering if any member is familiar with the history of G2a and the current* consensus? I am more specifically interested in G2a-M406. Any information helping we understand this...
  3. Maciamo

Searching for famous G2a members

Thanks to Regio X for the following. Richard Stockton (1730-1781),was an American lawyer, jurist, legislator, and a signer of the Declaration of Independence. His son, Robert F. Stockton (1795-1866) was a United States Navy commodore, notable in the capture of California during the...
  4. 3

23andme Haplogroups

Hello, I'm new to Eupedia as you can probably tell. I've always been interested in genetics and anthropology but for some reason never managed to make an account. Anyways, I recently took a test with 23andme. The test was very useful and even connected me with a few 2nd cousins. But, what I'm...
  5. L

The Atlantic Megalith cultures were R1b.

The Atlantic Megalith cultures were R1b. (Revised) I've read before on this website of how the Atlantic Megalithic cultures of Europe were of the Caucasian Y-haplogroup G2a. This is ridiculous. This haplogroup has a minor presence in Iberia and a tiny presence in Britannia in modern day. The...
  6. PaterKeklos

G2a3b1a (G-l497): Did the mutation first appear in the PIE homeland area or in Europe

I've seen conflicting reports about this. We know the age of the mutation to correspond with the timeline of the PIE invasion of Central Europe. We know it is one of the few haplogroup G2a clades to be found in Scandinavia. It very clearly appears to be tied to the PIE invasion and very...
  7. PaterKeklos

To what degree is it possible that G2a's are well adapted to high altitudes?

So we know that Neolithic farmers, largely y-haplogroup G2a, occupied most of Europe before the PIE invasions. The current school of thought is that these G2a's were violently displaced and fled into the mountains where they took refuge. What if we were to approach this from a different angle...
  8. Maciamo

New map of Y-gaplogroup G2a-L497

This clade was found in the Cucuteni-Trypillian culture (as I had predicted), which explains the hotspot around Moldova. G2a-L497 (or actually its Z1816 subclade) was probably assimilated by the R1b-U152 Proto-Italo-Celts before moving to the Alps. Not only is there a strong geographic...
  9. W

G2a3b1 in English people

Hello all, I am new to genetics and I have a query. I am English with my paternal ancestry traceable to Yorkshire as far back as the 1700s. My Y-DNA is G2a3b1a, specifically G-Z726; am I right in thinking that this line originated with Franks/Saxons who arrived with the Anglo-Saxon settlement...
  10. LeBrok

Y haplogroups correlation with number of sons, R1b, I2a-Din, E-V13, G2a

This possible phenomenon was discussed in many threads, as an explanation to why some Y haplogroups became so dominant. Maciamo's hypothesis about dominance of R1b clades in Western Europe is based on it too. This hypothesis states that males of certain haplogroups, like R1b, or some of its...
  11. Maciamo

The great pairings of Y-DNA haplogroups in prehistory

When G2a Neolithic farmers started advancing from the Near East into Europe, they encountered indigenous hunter-gathering tribes belonging to various haplogroups (C1a2, F, I*, I1, I2a, I2b, I2c, and possibly even H). Interestingly, most of these lineages didn't survive in significant number...
  12. Maciamo

Kings of France may have been R1b-U106 after all (rather than G2a3b1)

A new study by Larmuseau et al. (2013) from Leuven University in Belgium (the same team behind the Brabant Y-DNA Project) tested the Y-DNA of three living members of the House of Bourbon, one descending from Louis XIII of France and two from Philip V of Spain (himself a grandson of Louis XIV)...
  13. A

Any information about Y-DNA subclade G2a5 (origin/distribution)?

While browsing through my 23andme distant DNA relatives (as well as DNA relatives of friends who have taken the test) I have noticed that Haplogroup G2a5 is very common among Cypriots. Actually around 15% of 35 Cypriot individuals were G2a5. I found this extremely interesting as from what I have...
  14. Maciamo

Distribution of G2a in Italy (Boattini et al.)

I have calculated the provincial percentages of G2a in Italy based on the recent study by Boattini et al. The new data significantly alters the known distribution of G2a across the peninsula. Extremely high frequencies (20-25%) were observed in Abruzzo, Molise, Basilicata and Calabria. The...
  15. Maciamo

Major new paper on haplogroup G : new peaks in NW Caucaus, Palestine & Corsica

A new paper on haplogroup G by Rootsi et al. was published two days ago. They compiled a new database of some 1500 members of hg G spread over nearly 100 regions and listed frequencies in all these regions for 17 subclades of G. This is by far the most comprehensive study of hg G so far. I am...
  16. Kotroman

Can haplogroup G2 be associated with early Celtic tribes?

I have been wonder for a long time now, about the possible link between Y-DNA haplogroup G2 with early Celtic Hallstatt culture and La-Tène civilization. If we look closely at the diffusion of haplogroup G2, it can with mine suggestion be associated with Celtic migrations. The mutation of G2 is...
  17. Maciamo

G2a and E-V13 in Neolithic Spain (5000 BCE)

Lacan et al., who tested the Neolithic site of Treilles in Southwest France (G2a + I2a) published a new study on Neolithic Spain. The samples are 2000 years older than in Treilles, and identified both G2a and E-V13. This could either confirm a Neolithic origin of E-V13 or, my recent proposal...
Back