food

1. Maciamo

Health Ultra processed food is the n°1 enemy of good health

About 80% of the food you find in supermarkets is ultra processed. This includes all breakfast cereals, the vast majority of frozen and ready dishes, juices and sodas, biscuits/cookies, snack bars, breadsticks, cakes and industrial breads, and many more things. The food in fast food restaurants...
  2. Maciamo

Sustainability Plant-based meat sales by country

The popularity of meat substitutes has been soaring in the last few years. Meat alternatives are hailed as healthier and more eco-conscious choices. These include vegan burgers (patties), vegan sausages, vegan bacon, vegan chicken, which typically use proteins from soybeans or peas. Other...
  3. Maciamo

Restaurant using burger-making robot to open soon in San Francisco

Check the article and video here: The Mission to Build the Ultimate Burger Bot The process doesn't seem to be much faster than human workers in a fast food chain, but they say that the quality is higher, more like that of a gourmet restaurant.
  4. Jovialis

How Did Salt And Pepper Become The Soulmates Of Western Cuisine?

Salt and pepper shakers are so omnipresent on tabletops that adding a dash of the white or black stuff (or both!) is almost a dining rite. The seasonings pair well with just about everything and they go together like — well, salt and pepper. But these two culinary staples have not always...
  5. Maciamo

Maciamo's pancake recipes

I am not exactly a chef, but food is an important part of my culture and I have been cooking regularly since I was 18. During most of my adult life, crêpes (pancakes, although not the small, thick American-style ones, but the large and thin European ones) have been one of my main staple food...
  6. LeBrok

If you had to live like a hunter-gatherer what lifestyle and location would you pick?

Would you be hunter-gatherer of the steppe, riding horses and eating horse meat, or further in time being steppe mammoth hunter, living in mammoth tusk tents? Would you be rather hunter gatherer of North Europe hunting deer in moderate climate forest, with your friend domesticated wolf "first...
  7. Maciamo

Are proteins bad for your health ?

Two studies published this week in Cell Metabolism, Solon-Biet et al. 2014 and Levine et al. 2014, are telling us that having a diet rich in animal proteins could considerably reduce our lifespan. Here is what Science magazine comments about the studies. One problem with the Solon-Biet et...
  8. LeBrok

Rise and fall of civilizations due to climate change.

Here is a map of temperature in Europe for last 2,000 years. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2171973/Tree-ring-study-proves-climate-WARMER-Roman-Medieval-times-modern-industrial-age.html This map shows that height of Roman Empire happened in a very warm period. The decline...
Back