culture shock

1. Maciamo

Culture shock Why the Dutch always say what they mean

Communication between Europeans is much more complicated than between, say, Americans. Obviously Europe has a lot of different languages. But even if everybody speaks the same language, for example English, misunderstandings often result from cultural differences in the way people express...
  2. Maciamo

5 reasons France is so backwards compared to its neighbours

As everyone knows France sucks. It's a horrible country that nobody wants to visit except for 90 million tourists per year. :kidding: And of course people from neighbouring countries know that well and try to avoid setting foot in France if they can help it. For example official statistics show...
  3. Maciamo

Society Only in the USA - things that baffle non-Americans

I have been re-reading Bill Bryson's Notes from a Big Country. Bill Bryson is an American (from Iowa) who moved to the UK. After 20 years of living in England with his English wife (and 4 kids) he moved with his family to New Hampshire for a few years. This book is a collection of articles he...
  4. Maciamo

What's the origin of Franco-German formality?

If there is one thing that distinguishes French and German speakers from English speakers or even other Europeans is their insistence on using formal vous or Sie instead of the informal tu or Du in any situation where two adults aren't on familiar terms (i.e. close friends or family). This...
  5. Maciamo

Equipopulous redivision of the EU by cultural borders

I have found this map of Europe on BigThink. It shows what a European Union with 28 equipopulous member states would look like. But the division is far from arbitrary. I have thought about redividing the EU by considering the cultural, ethnic, linguistic and historical similarities between...
  6. Maciamo

ASD Do some cultures have more Asperger traits ?

I recently found out that I share many traits of characters with Aspies (people who have Asperger's syndrome). This includes being more honest, outspoken, rational, logical, analytical, perfectionist, conscientious or persistent. My mind also seems to work in a similar way. I am not a big fan of...
  7. Maciamo

Swiss newspaper accuses French people of being lazy, arrogant and always complaining

In February this year, the CEO of the US tyremaker Titan mocked French work ethic, saying that French workers only put in three hours a day and he would have to be "stupid" to invest in the country. The French reaction was indignant. At the time Arnaud Montebourg, the French Minister of...
  8. Maciamo

You've been in Britain too long when...

I have posted this recently. Feel free to add your own suggestions. You've been in Britain too long when... You start to accept queuing (standing in line) as a way of life. You routinely order rounds of pints when you walk into a pub with friends or colleagues. After a big night out you find...
  9. Maciamo

Polls show that Greeks don't see themselves and other Europeans like everyone else

The Economist reposted an opinion poll by Pew Research about the stereotypes European people had about each others. The Greeks stick out of the lot by their lack of objectivity when asked for their place inside Europe. While all Europeans agreed that the Germans were the most trustworthy...
  10. Maciamo

You've been in Italy too long when...

After the series about France and Belgium, here comes Italy. So you know that you've been in Italy far too long when : You consider accepting the dinner invitation at the house of someone you just met. You can have a conversation with a stranger comprised entirely of facial expressions, hand...
Back