Politics EU vs US

Duo

Southern Sun
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Albanian
With the recent enlargement of the EU, the union is now a 450 million people political and economical entity. If the EU progress the right way, and in the next 10 years swallows up all of Europe, do you think that it will become the new superpower in the world, or will it just counterbalance the US equally in magnitude, or will the US still be the sole superpower?

Personally, if the EU takes the right path and becomes trule a unified Europe, I would like to see it guide the world into it's own vision and see what would happen.

Soon....

the US will have to declare bankruptcy and start selling off the states one by one! I'm trying to set up a deal where Japan buys Maine!!

Frank

:D

I'll already place an offer on New York, then !

Joke apart, the EU still has a long way before the countries agree to give up their sovereignty and create a real federal country. Or is it really necessary ? What is developping now has never happened in history yet. Not only do we already have a union of nation states that have a common flag, anthemn, EU nationality, parliament, supreme court, currency (though not all countries), and soon a constitution, president and foreign minister; each country still retains a large independence reagrding finance (incl. taxation), defence and foreign policy, which means that we have a dual level country, where everybody has 2 nationalities, and every country has (at least) 2 parliament, 2 set of ministers, etc. This cannot be called nation-state, so we need to invent a new word for this new concept.

europe will not be as unified as america in the next 2-300 years atleast...

Reason: everyones looking out for #1..
every country tries to get better stuff for themselves, not really caring about what's happening in the other countries...

the notion of the EU as one state will take a few generations to sink in.. so we most probably will not see it...

i think the powershift will instead be to asia.. they will take the throne from america (i believe) and wont even have to be all that united..

which is alot better, because the countries within asia will never be able to pull any stunts off like bushs slamming on countries outside the american borders.. they'll be too busy bickering internally =P

or something... i should probably edit tis post tommorrow... i'm about to fall asleep over my keyboard.. so don't take me too seriously.. odds are i feel differently tomorrow..

U had a good point about countries not caring of what happens to the other. About the power falling over into Asia, I don't know about that. The only true power in Asia is China, and they have an identity problem. I think Europeans, all of them, should realize that only together they can impose their way, and stop stupid and old meaningles feuds between states.

Duo said:
U had a good point about countries not caring of what happens to the other. About the power falling over into Asia, I don't know about that. The only true power in Asia is China, and they have an identity problem. I think Europeans, all of them, should realize that only together they can impose their way, and stop stupid and old meaningles feuds between states.
As for Asia, you are probably right. Although I'm not sure about China, maybe they will be the next super power or they will fall apart like the Soviet Union. I don't see a stable outlook yet.

As for Europe, I hope, they don't become a super power & that they won't try to impose their way. Another USA? Better not!
Maybe the core of the EU (France, Germany & some other countries) will become a federal republic, but they won't have enough money to build a military as the US has now.

When i say impose, i mean "lead the way". I dont want europe to become a military power either. It doesn't need to. With the huge market that it has, it can become an economic power house.

Duo said:
When i say impose, i mean "lead the way". I dont want europe to become a military power either. It doesn't need to. With the huge market that it has, it can become an economic power house.

The European Union is already a economic power house.

Yes, but not at full potential. Also not of Europe has entered the EU yet.

Nah no chance, as Mac said its about number 1. Many of the EU countries dont even get along !!

I personally dont care who is the superpower I mean I live in the US and I would rather live anywhere else but the US and the middle east. If I had a choice I would live in Japan. It just seems much more peaceful than the US it is a place where I can "live".

I think the EU will become a powerhouse soon. They have more people there and if they can get the military coordinated together they can become one intimidating entity. The only downside is that they are still not a cohesive enough entity (like the US).

What about Asia having something similar? Like China, Korea, Japan, Thailand, and Vietnam? Or am I being silly? :)

Dont forget that EU was the superpower once already and a war with the US changed that.

Wang said:
What do you mean?

Sorry about the typo. I meant not all OF Europe has entered the EU yet.

TimF said:
Dont forget that EU was the superpower once already and a war with the US changed that.

Hmmm, I dont recall this one happening.... :?

Duo said:
Hmmm, I dont recall this one happening.... :?

It was a little thing called the Revolutionary war. :)

The EU does have the unity problem. If the EU was a superpower it would probably create huge tensions beteen America and Europe (like with the Soviet Union) but it might help to keep America in check. So I'm not sure if the EU being a superpower would be a good thing or a bad thing. Many of those countries have a history of tyranny just as bad or worse than America.

TimF said:
It was a little thing called the Revolutionary war. :)

That was England the US fought against, and they got help from the French thank you very much :wave: . So next time you americans decide to rant on the french don't forget they were your first ally. :cool:
Vive la France as they say :p

Brooker said:
The EU does have the unity problem. If the EU was a superpower it would probably create huge tensions beteen America and Europe (like with the Soviet Union) but it might help to keep America in check. So I'm not sure if the EU being a superpower would be a good thing or a bad thing. Many of those countries have a history of tyranny just as bad or worse than America.

Yes, but it doesn't have to so united like the US. It can be a a type of federal entity. Take Switzerland for example, 26 different cantons, 3 different languages, no problem in stickin together. Also look at Belgium, run in a federal style, the Flemish and French-speakin area have separate governments, languages, and even different public transportation. So is not so hard to picture a unified Europe, but the problem is that if the big countries such as Germany and France think that they can still be the most influental and try to lead the union, that might cause some tension amongst members. Also the UK's position within the Union is doubtful. They have not adopted the Euro and are reluctant to join fully. I hope they do make up their mind to join and if not just say they dont want to and leave. The british people seem to think that they will loose soverignity and other things if they join, but I think that they will gain a lot more than they will loose.

Duo said:
That was England the US fought against, and they got help from the French thank you very much :wave: . So next time you americans decide to rant on the french don't forget they were your first ally. :cool:
Vive la France as they say :p

Where are the french chicken shits now? It's pretty bad that they are affraid of an army that is not even in like the top ten in power. That is one thing i can say about the US is we never chickened out. Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone.

TimF said:
Where are the french chicken shits now? It's pretty bad that they are affraid of an army that is not even in like the top ten in power. That is one thing i can say about the US is we never chickened out. Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone.

What kind of comment is that?!! :eek:kashii:
France didn't want to in a war they didnt' beleive in. The US would be lucky if French troops start rollin in Iraq, seeing as how they know well that area. We are seeing what a mess the non chiken shit have made, but anyways this is digressing from the thread so i'll just say I don't think that the french were scared of entering the war, rather they were skeptical about it's nature and it's outcome. I guess they have been proven right after all.

canadian_kor said:
I think the EU will become a powerhouse soon. They have more people there and if they can get the military coordinated together they can become one intimidating entity. The only downside is that they are still not a cohesive enough entity (like the US).

What about Asia having something similar? Like China, Korea, Japan, Thailand, and Vietnam? Or am I being silly? :)

I beleive there is an organization called ASEAN, which is similar in nature to the EU, but is NOT(forgot to put this part in the original post) quite the same.

This thread has been viewed 24036 times.

Back