Which period of (Western) history are you interested in?

What are your favourite periods in (Western) history

• Prehistory

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Early Antiquity (Egypt, Babylon...)

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Late Antiquity (Greece, Rome...)

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Early Middle Ages (5th to 10th century)

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Late Middle Ages (11th to 14/15th century)

• Renaissance (14-16th century)

• Modern Times (late 16th to mid 18th century)

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Late 18th, early 19th (French and US revolutions, etc)

• Mid and late 19th (Victorian period)

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Early 20th century (till 1914)

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • WWI (1914-1918)

• 1919-1938

• WWII (1939-1945)

• Cold War (1945 to 1990)

• Contemporary period (from 1991 - "Gulf War")

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Colonial history

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • History of sciences & technologies

• Economic history

• Japanese history

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Chinese History

• Indian History

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
Modern Times (late 16th to mid 18th century)

i like this period because of the V.O.C. .... okay this guys werent always that nice... but i kind a like the idea of dutch rulling the oceans :wave:

I am interested in Ancient history. Ancient Greece and Rome and even Egypt. :cool: Oh how I would have loved to be an Spartan woman if I lived in ancient Greece. But those are themes I'm interested in. :p

Considering I'm a history major I would say all of them.:)

Doc:ramen::happy:

I like Chinese history, mostly ancient china, bust also the time in the 1900's very interesting. For japanese history i would say the end of the Edo Era, begining of Meiji, and for Europe Greeko-Roman is history is very interesting, 19th century also (time of revolutions and changes) and also from 1990 till now, very interesting developments, the balkan wars, the EU...........

Duo said:
I like Chinese history, mostly ancient china, bust also the time in the 1900's very interesting. For japanese history i would say the end of the Edo Era, begining of Meiji, and for Europe Greeko-Roman is history is very interesting, 19th century also (time of revolutions and changes) and also from 1990 till now, very interesting developments, the balkan wars, the EU...........

I agree with the last topics: the EU and its development....interesting! Especially from the treaty of Rome till today.... :wave:

I've always found prehistory, ancient and classical history fasinating. It seem to be difficult to find books on chinese and japanese early history in bookshops, most seem to focus on european history. I have found the occassional book though, and have taken to internet shops to find what I'm after. Also got a thing for WWII. I think most people of my generation have. Might have something to do with the fact our grand[parents experienced it and our parents were young during it. Not really interested in social and economic history of the victorian era to modern day. Could have something to do that my exams were in this period and it doesn't make for interesting reading. Although some of the industrial revelolution is good.

Following instructions....

I am defining the "other" and that is military history.

Because it is so expansive--it starts with the first time men picked up sticks and stones and goes on to the present--it is at once a field that is almost too vast to study effectively and yet is one that is narrowly applied to the means used in the struggles of all mankind.

As far as Japanese history goes, as it was stated in a thread that was applied to fit just that subject, I prefer the period of Tokugawa Ieyasu and the Battle of Sekigahara (which was the pivotal battle of the Japanese feudal period).

Well, like any little boy worth his salt, I'd love to go wa-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ay back in prehistory so I can see dinosaurs in the scaly flesh. That would be too cool for words! Blame one too many viewing of "Jurassic Park" for that viewpoint!
:cool:

I have always loved the Greek and Roman history although some events were tainted with despair, violence, and some eccentricities. Their histories indeed reflect I think our true selves.

Hmmm, now that's a hard one. At college I specialized in modern history and economic history (19th-today), but honestly, I love at least as *much* Ancient History, both early and late. Someone like Alexander (and I'm not refering to Colin Farrell/Oliver Stone's Alexander :giggle: ) fascinates me.

As someone here pointed out earlier, it helps tremendously to understand where a people stands today to know their history (typically, because their cultures are so different from ours in Western coutries, Japan and China are prime examples of this, imo)

Ah, and Mycernius? In case you read this, about books on Early Japan, you can try those, if you haven't already:

The Cambridge History of Japan, vol. 1, esp. chapter 1 (although you may want to beware, since many new datas have emerged since they published this book in the late 70s, so they are wrong on some of their conclusions. It's still interesting, but you should read it along with another, more recent book)

Prehistoric Japan, by Keiji Imamura (1996) It's a reference really, and not too expensive, if you're ever considering buying one book on this period.

Ancient Jomon of Japan, by Junko Habu (2004) Great book, but pretty technical. I'm not sure you should start with this one if you don't know much about that period before.....

In case, I wrote short articles summing up the chapter in the Cambridge History of Japan on prehistoric Japan and pointing out the most important changes in our understanding since they publsihed it (and I'm working on doing the same with Imamura's book). You can find them in another forum on the internet. But I'm not sure it would be appropriate to post the links here (I mean, shameless plug? :bluush: ). In case it's not, but you're interested, you can contact me privately, or by email :)

Prehistory, early antiquity, late antiquity, early Middle Ages, late Middle Ages, Renaissance, Late-18th/early-19th, colonial history, history of science & technology, and Indian history are all enthralling.

I'm interested in Jomon and Iron Age Japan, and I adore East Asian art, but otherwise the place does absolutely nothing to captivate me. Somebody could be telling me about a mighty battle that forever altered the course of Sino-Japanese culture and political relations, but it wouldn't appeal. I've even tried to make myself interested in it, but I can't.

Economic history doesn't appeal to me in itself, though I recognise the importance of learning about it within the wider parameters of general history.

17th century Germany onwards - they made the best classical music and philosophers, so I can forgive them :3

[FONT=&quot]ctually, I have more than one, but for some reasons I'm picking the middle ages. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This was the time of the golden age of Islamic civilization & the golden age of Jewish culture as well, which took place in Muslim Spain. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]& yes, It was a time of bravery & courage. This was the time of the Caliph Ali, one of my favorite historical figures of all times. He's well known for his amazing courage & wisdom. It was also the age of Saladin, who's virtues & chivalry gained him the admiration of his enemies as well as his people. It was the age of Khalid ibn Al-Walid, one of the greatest generals of all times. He was the one general who defeated the imperial armies of Persia & eastern Rome, even though his troops were significantly out numbered & poorly equipped. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The middle ages were the time of great Muslim scholars & philosophers like the Persian scientist Al-khawarizmi, who's contribution in science & math is taught to people around the world today, even though his name is concealed to many people because of western prejudices. & like the Arab philosopher Averroes, who laid the seeds of renaissance in Europe & influence some of its philosophers like Descartes, & Thomas Aquinas.[/FONT]

Mostly Prehistory and Middle Age, in the past Greek/Roman period and WWII.

Utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 39162 times.

Back