8.9 earthquake and tsunami ravage South Asia

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Breaking News
A M 8.9 tremor near northen Sumatra in Indonesia causes several tidal waves as far as India and Sri Lanka. Over 200 people are already reported dead from the tsunami.

This is one of the most powerful earthquake ever recorded in South-East Asia.

Lets Hope......

our members from those areas are OK! I imagine their communications with the internet and the Forum will be interrupted.The news pictures show a lot of damage and the number of dead will probably not be known for a long time.
Amazing the power Mother Nature can dish out!

Frank

:bawling:

42 Malaysian killed :( , but in Sri Langka around 2150 people were killed >_<.
can feel the shock even here >_<

Oh, my God, the death count is rising every minute!!

Japanese news reported at least 10 Japanese tourists missing in Phuket, Thailand.

My prayers for safety of everyone in this forum... :kanashii:

My brother is in Thailand right now but thank goodness he isn't near the disaster area...

This is bad.....real bad......
amazing that news in the US are reporting it, too.....it took them a few days to realize the last major earthquake in Iran because they were too focused on Iraq....

Tolls up to 13,000
Sri Lanka - 6,000
India - 4,000
Indonesia - 4,400
Thai - 430, hundreds missing
Maldives + Malaysia + Bangladesh = more than 100 killed, hundreds reported missing..

Man, this is really scary, and it was so damn close to my home too :(
If not because of the geological factor, more people in Malaysia could be killed too >_< including me
The Earthquake is now officially a 9.0

One of the worst natural disasters of our time

I have been following this story since I first read about it early yesterday morning. How terribly sad it is that the ever rising death toll now exceeds 20,000.

This is just another reminder to us all of how tentative our existence is, and that we should enjoy life, take the time to smile at others we meet, laugh whenever possible, dispense with pettiness, hatred, and jealousy, and spread a little joy while we are still alive.

I'm still in shock. All I can do now is think of those who have lost loved ones and their possessions. It affects me personally because a football player from the team I follow (Melbourne Demons) is still missing. He was on a honeymoon in Thailand after recently getting married, and while his wife is safe he is lost at sea after saving her life.

It's so tragic for this to happen.

Dream Time said:
please make cash donations to the Red Cross

http://www.redcross.org/index.html
Thanks for the link. I was trying to think if there was something I could do. It is terribly, terribly sad for all the victims and survivors with what little they had in this world washed away in a matter of minutes. If only there had been a way of getting the word out by people who knew what was happening, thousands of lives might have been saved....:(

Confirmed death toll is 45'000 now and still rising. Do whatever you can, donate, pray, encourage everyone and help if you can. I hand out credit slips (Red Cross and other relief organisations) to everyone I encounter. They need us now more than ever.

Now 55'000 is confirmed and still rising...about 1/3 were children, they had absolutely no chance.

Indonesia: ~27'000
Sri Lanka: ~18'000
India: ~8'500
Thailand: ~2'000

Several hundreds in Somalia, Tanzania and Kenia.
Still unknown the casualties on Nicobar and Andaman Islands.

Why is it always the poorest of the poorest?
Bam in Iran exactly one year ago (26th of Dec.), leaving ~26'000 dead. And now this...

Analysts say, in contrary to 9/11 when the world's stocket markets were severly affected, the tragedy now will not have a noticeable impact because economically seen, "non-critical" regions were hit...
:eek: :worried:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake

From a local newspaper. Death toll reached 60k, I couldnt even imagine whats the final number of casualties is :(

Rio Lee said:
From a local newspaper. Death toll reached 60k, I couldnt even imagine whats the final number of casualties is :(
I imagine it will end up close to 100,000....I still can't believe, though, there was no way/time any of these people could have been warned....:(

It's certainly the most horrible disaster in a long time...
The death toll will probably still rise quite a bit, as there are still a vast amount of people missed - it's quite likely that the vast majority of the missed persons died in the floods.

Gosh, I was watching the news and saw the clips of what happend. Sri Lanka was flooded and everything. An earthquake was created in the ocean and made a tsunami right? Just think these people were having a good time at the beach then all of a sudden some big wave comes over you!

This thread has been viewed 27657 times.

Back