Al-Qaeda, a politically-driven fantasy?

senseiman said:
No, you were just trying to lay the blame for terrorist getting into the US on Canada's doorstep. Canada HAS changed its immigration policies since 9/11 BTW.
I wasn't laying all the blame on your country's doorstep, that's putting words in my mouth. I just reminded you of how they got here.

senseiman said:
Tough it out? The UN presence in Iraq was a civilian one,
What about the civilian contractors, truck drivers, construction workers, teachers, etc.? What about the civilian media? How many news organizations were in that same building?

senseiman said:
You were the one criticizing Clinton for withdrawing from Somalia. The Republicans (whom you seem to be supporting here) were in favor of withdrawing too and in fact were the most vocal in doing so. So which party is the coward, exactly? The Democrats for supporting withdrawal from Somalia or the Republicans for....supporting withdrawal from Somalia? I don't follow your logic at all.
Then you're not paying attention. I never claimed to be in lock-step agreement with every Republican in congress. Stop trying to hold me accountable for the words of other Republicans.

senseiman said:
These would be the same Kurds who had set up an autonomous government in northern Iraq and had US and British warplanes protecting them? The same Kurds who Saddam's forces hadn't fired a shot at in over a decade? The invasion saved them from genocide? I'm sure that would be news to them.
Was Saddam in power? Yes. Who was going to have the power after him? His murdering, rapist sons. As long as the Husseins had power, the threat was there.

senseiman said:
What do you expect, exactly? The UN to send its navy to Sumatra? They dont' have a military. Its an international organization whose role is to COORDINATE relief assistance, the actual job of providing immediate assistance is dependent on the contributions of member states.
You clearly didn't read a single one of those articles. What I expect is for the UN to make immediate use of the helicopters provided to it and postpone the photo ops, delegate-hosting, condom distribution and worrying about their hotel's catering until AFTER they've saved some lives! What the UN has is a bunch of pompous, spoiled blowhards who are in love with their authority and status in the world community, and productive results apparently come second to all that.

senseiman said:
So...now it was the UN that broke the Abu Ghraib torture scandal? Funny, I thought it was the American media that did that.
Now you're not reading my posts.
Censport said:
(and CNN/CBS/BBC, etc.)

senseiman said:
I see. So there was no call for Nixon to liberate any countries but - if we are to follow your logic - there were pressing calls for Carter to liberate countries that he failed to heed.
Nixon didn't lobby for a Nobel Peace Prize or go around pretending to be a great man of peace. Did Nixon travel the globe overseeing dubious elections? Carter did and does exactly that.

senseiman said:
So this just begs the question as to what exactly happened in the world between Nixon's leaving office in 1974 and Carter's taking over in January of 1977 that caused this radical change of circumstances. And, indeed I might ask why president Ford isn't singled out by you for criticism as a lot of these earth shaking changes must have occured on his watch.
Gee, sounds like you've already got all the answers. Time to step up to the plate...

senseiman said:
I'm a little confused about how you arrive at these conclusions. Was Carter supposed to liberate Iran by invading it and giving the Shah - who was every bit as viscious a dictator as Saddam Hussein - back his throne? Interesting definition of 'liberation', if that is what you were trying to get at.
No, Carter wasn't supposed to create a problem by waffling back and forth between supporting him and pressing for reform. Make a decision and stick with it, that's what a leader does.

In the Spring of '78, Carter had three choices ahead of him:

-Back the Shah to the hilt as the policeman of the Persian Gulf: The traditional U.S. policy.

-Disassociate the United States from the Shah and seek a dialogue with Khomeini and other radical Moslems in the region.

-Continue to support the Shah while pressing Tehran and other governments for reform.

So what did Carter do? Shortly after the Shah declared martial law, President Carter called him to voice support. In November of 1978, security advisor Brzezinski called the Shah from the Iranian embassy in Washington to express his assurance that the United States would "back him to the hilt". Late in December, Carter dispatched the aircraft carrier Constellation to the Indian Ocean. Then Carter countermanded his own order. He then tried to press the Shah for some lucrative deals. Carter started by pressuring the Shah to release "political prisoners" including known terrorists and to put an end to military tribunals. The newly released terrorists would be tried under civil jurisdiction with the Marxist/Islamists using these trials as a platform for agitation and propaganda. Then there was a formal country-to-country demand that the Shah sign a 50-year oil agreement with the US to supply oil at a fixed price of $8 a barrel.

Ramsey Clark, who served as Attorney General under President Lyndon B. Johnson, held a press conference where he reported on a trip to Iran and a Paris visit with Khomeni. He urged the US government to take no action to help the Shah so that Iran "could determine its own fate." Clark played a behind-the-scenes role influencing members of Congress to not get involved in the crisis. Perhaps UN Ambassador Andrew Young best expressed the thinking of the left at the time when he stated that, if successful, Khomeni would "eventually be hailed as a saint."

Now while most of Iran didn't want extremist Khomeni to come to power, Carter responded that Khomeni was a religious man -as he himself claimed to be- and that he knew how to talk to a man of God. Carter's mistaken assessment of Khomeni was encouraged by advisors with a desire to form an Islamic "Green belt" to contain atheist Soviet expansion with the religious fervor of Islam. Eventually, all 30 of the scenarios on Iran presented to Carter by his intelligence agencies proved wrong and totally misjudged Khomeni as a person and as a political entity. Khomeni was allowed to seize power in Iran and, as a result, we are now reaping the harvest of anti-American fanaticism and extremism.

Did Carter try to negotiate the release of the hostages? Yes, he tried to arrange the release to coincide with the November 1980 elections. Talk about your October surprises!

But hey, what do I know? I only lived through it.

senseiman said:
This is exactly what I meant when I said it would probably take a generation for Iraq to recover from the damage inflicted on it.

Ah, it must've been somebody else complaining that Iraq was devastated and that the idea of starting democracy there was a joke.

senseiman said:
While what you have just written conforms to my own opinion, it directly contradicts the statements of the Bush administration in the run up to the invasion when they predicted Iraq would, in fact, make a speedy recovery from the war. Wolfowitz even predicted that the US wouldn't need to spend any money on reconstruction as the Iraqi economy would be healthy enough to rebuild itself.
Okay, they made an error. And you're helping how, exactly?

senseiman said:
I'm not trying to put a nice face on terrorism,
Yes you are.

senseiman said:
I'm trying to take a rationale look at things. The point in question wasn't 'who is killing Israelis', you were talking about Saddam's alleged financing of terrorism as a rationale for invading Iraq. Saddam didn't give money or weapons to terror groups,
Yes he did.

senseiman said:
I'm not defending Saddam's action, it probably did act as an indirect incentive for people to volunteer for suicide attacks that killed hundreds of Israeli civilians.
Indirect?!? Oh that's right, their main incentive was killing Jews. The fact that Ma got $25,000 compensation... well, I guess that was the icing on the cake, eh?

senseiman said:
But strictly speaking as a rationale for the US to start a war that has so far claimed tens of thousands of lives, including over 1300 US troops it is pretty damned thin.
Then you'll be comforted to know that Saddam had relationships with al-Qaeda members. Well, not in the Biblical or Michael Jackson sense...

senseiman said:
In the 12 years between the destruction of his army in the Gulf war and the invasion in 2003, Saddam posed a threat to no one.
Except the ability to harbor and finance terrorists.

senseiman said:
He had no air force or navy to speak of, his army was equipped with Soviet weapons from the 1960s for which he could import no replacements or spare parts.
Oh really? According to the military, Congresswoman (-person?) Marsha Blackburn, and my own (admittedly anecdotal) sources, we've destroyed over 400,000 tons of weapons that Saddam had that wasn't allowed under the '91 UN cease-fire agreement.

senseiman said:
For one thing it was a known fact that 95% of his weapons had either been destroyed or decayed beyond use.
Wrong. Statements and known facts are two different things. Saddam stated that he had WMDs then stated he had destroyed them. The UN inspectors couldn't find any evidence that he had destroyed them, nor could they find them (in mass quantities, anyway). The question is: Where the *%&$ are they now?

senseiman said:
His only possible motivation for seeking them would have been for defensive purposes
Or to pay the Kurds another visit.

senseiman said:
So...the answer is to invade a country that doesn't harbor terrorists with the deliberate purpose of attracting terrorists to that country so that you can kill them?
He in fact did have a history of harboring terrorists and financing them.

senseiman said:
The Iraqi people are quite capable of speaking for themselves. I just happen to notice that the 80% of them who want the US troops out of their country agree with me.
Which is why I posted the article you didn't read from that Iraqi and what he thinks of your political ilk. Also, I posted the article earlier about 80% of Iraqis strongly wanting those awful free elections we imposed on them. Maybe that's the same 80% that wants the US military to leave? Could be, since the fastest way to get the US military out is, as I stated before, to get their country up and productive again. But then does that mean that the 20% that wants the US military to stay are the ones fighting them? Think they took time out to answer a poll? And if that 80% are the want both free elections and US troop withdrawal, what are they planning to do, fight the terrorists -ah, insurgents- themselves? Where is your logic coming from?

By the way, McGovern was completely wrong about Vietnam, and you're sounding exactly like him.

I think we can all agree that Sadam was a bad guy. A very bad guy.

But ties to al-Qaeda? Osama hated Sadam and said so in a couple of taped addresses. Sadam was definitely from the wrong end of Islam, and according to bin Laden, he was too tolerant of Jews and other infidels within his borders. Many of the islamacists are shiites, and they haven't forgotten or forgiven the war with Iran or the attacks and massacres after the gulf war. Getting rid of Hussein was good news for Bin Laden.

I'm uncertain about what you think we should have done with Vietnam? Are you saying that that war was right and we should still be there fighting? Are you saying that Kerry didn't actually see what he says he saw, or that he should not have spoken against the war. Is this a my country right or wrong kind of thing? Remember that it was a Republican that cleaned up the mess that two democrats got us into.

My mom always told me not to leave a mess. If you make a mess, clean it up. Withdrawing from Iraq right now would be irresponsible. Dr. Rice said that we need to fix things, to widen support and our coalition with our allies in support of a new Iraq... and I am unable to disagree.

sabro said:
I'm uncertain about what you think we should have done with Vietnam? Are you saying that that war was right and we should still be there fighting?
I'm saying it should have been won before LBJ left office.

sabro said:
Are you saying that Kerry didn't actually see what he says he saw,
Yes.

sabro said:
or that he should not have spoken against the war.
No. If he really saw, first-hand, what he said, then yes, he should've testified. But testifying about what someone else said they saw or did? Even Mark Geragos could win a case against that.

sabro said:
My mom always told me not to leave a mess. If you make a mess, clean it up.
Mine too! Just don't tell her about my desk.... :blush:

Censport said:
I'm saying it should have been won before LBJ left office.

Oh if only it were so....
Censport said:
Yes.

No. If he really saw, first-hand, what he said, then yes, he should've testified. But testifying about what someone else said they saw or did? Even Mark Geragos could win a case against that.

Fair enough. Domo Arigato.

Censport said:
Mine too! Just don't tell her about my desk.... :blush:
I don't have to clean my desk until I die. I haven't left it yet.

Here's another article for those who consider themselves experts on Nixon:

Nixon foresaw terrorist attacks

I found the comment about Giuliani in the last paragraph especially interesting.

This will be my last post here, I don't have the time to carry on. Feel free to get the last word in though.

Censport said:
I wasn't laying all the blame on your country's doorstep, that's putting words in my mouth. I just reminded you of how they got here.
And exactly how many of the hijackers entered the US through Canada?

Censport said:
Then you're not paying attention. I never claimed to be in lock-step agreement with every Republican in congress. Stop trying to hold me accountable for the words of other Republicans.

OK, so you just think that everyone who supported withdrawing from Somalia is a coward (which is what you called Clinton)? That means that pretty much every US politician must be a coward, does it not?

Censport said:
Was Saddam in power? Yes. Who was going to have the power after him? His murdering, rapist sons. As long as the Husseins had power, the threat was there.

Yes but seeing as how there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell that the US would end the no fly zones if Saddam's sons took over its kind of besides the point, isn't it? The US controlled the skies and could effectively deter any military incursions into the Kurdish areas. Unless the US relinquished that control, and there is no reason to believe they ever would, the Kurds were safe.

Censport said:
You clearly didn't read a single one of those articles. What I expect is for the UN to make immediate use of the helicopters provided to it and postpone the photo ops, delegate-hosting, condom distribution and worrying about their hotel's catering until AFTER they've saved some lives! What the UN has is a bunch of pompous, spoiled blowhards who are in love with their authority and status in the world community, and productive results apparently come second to all that.

You've got a point there, the UN certainly does have alot of problems. But just about any powerful body, including the US government for that matter, is going to be run by a bunch of "pompous, spoiled blowhards who are in love with their authority and status" so I don't see why it is fair to single out the UN for criticism here.

Censport said:
Now you're not reading my posts.

I'm reading them, but I'm just not following your thinking very well. Why did you even bring up Abu Ghraib in a paragraph about the UN's allegedly seeking to uncover US atrocities if you weren't trying to imply that they had something to do with that? It seemed to me that was your purpose, which I found a bit misleading. I may be mistaken though.

Censport said:
Nixon didn't lobby for a Nobel Peace Prize or go around pretending to be a great man of peace. Did Nixon travel the globe overseeing dubious elections? Carter did and does exactly that.

Actually Nixon did do a lot of globe trotting in his role as an elder statesman after he left office too. If you don't like Carter's grandstanding I can understand that but I don't see how you can fault Carter for trying to make a difference in his retirement.

Censport said:
No, Carter wasn't supposed to create a problem by waffling back and forth between supporting him and pressing for reform. Make a decision and stick with it, that's what a leader does.

Here we'll have to agree to disagree. In my opinion stubbornly sticking to a decision you have made even though events beyond your control are changing the situation makes no sense at all. A leader need to respond to changes and update policies when they no longer accord with reality. This "sticking to your guns" policy is one of the biggest weaknesses of the Bush administration, IMHO. For months after the insurgency in Iraq began the Bush administration stuck to its line that the war was over and they were just in the process of sweeping up a few regime "dead enders". This was long after it had become obvious that the insurgency was growing and would pose a major problem in rebuilding Iraq. If they had been willing to alter their approach early on they may have been able to head it off before it reached anywhere near the proportions it is now. Only recently, way to late to make a difference, has the Bush administration begun to quietly admit they have made mistakes. Better to admit your mistakes early on rather than to pretend they don't exist and wait until they become so big that you are forced to change your policies.

Censport said:
In the Spring of '78, Carter had three choices ahead of him:

-Back the Shah to the hilt as the policeman of the Persian Gulf: The traditional U.S. policy.

-Disassociate the United States from the Shah and seek a dialogue with Khomeini and other radical Moslems in the region.

-Continue to support the Shah while pressing Tehran and other governments for reform.

So what did Carter do? Shortly after the Shah declared martial law, President Carter called him to voice support. In November of 1978, security advisor Brzezinski called the Shah from the Iranian embassy in Washington to express his assurance that the United States would "back him to the hilt". Late in December, Carter dispatched the aircraft carrier Constellation to the Indian Ocean. Then Carter countermanded his own order. He then tried to press the Shah for some lucrative deals. Carter started by pressuring the Shah to release "political prisoners" including known terrorists and to put an end to military tribunals. The newly released terrorists would be tried under civil jurisdiction with the Marxist/Islamists using these trials as a platform for agitation and propaganda. Then there was a formal country-to-country demand that the Shah sign a 50-year oil agreement with the US to supply oil at a fixed price of $8 a barrel.

Ramsey Clark, who served as Attorney General under President Lyndon B. Johnson, held a press conference where he reported on a trip to Iran and a Paris visit with Khomeni. He urged the US government to take no action to help the Shah so that Iran "could determine its own fate." Clark played a behind-the-scenes role influencing members of Congress to not get involved in the crisis. Perhaps UN Ambassador Andrew Young best expressed the thinking of the left at the time when he stated that, if successful, Khomeni would "eventually be hailed as a saint."

Now while most of Iran didn't want extremist Khomeni to come to power, Carter responded that Khomeni was a religious man -as he himself claimed to be- and that he knew how to talk to a man of God. Carter's mistaken assessment of Khomeni was encouraged by advisors with a desire to form an Islamic "Green belt" to contain atheist Soviet expansion with the religious fervor of Islam. Eventually, all 30 of the scenarios on Iran presented to Carter by his intelligence agencies proved wrong and totally misjudged Khomeni as a person and as a political entity. Khomeni was allowed to seize power in Iran and, as a result, we are now reaping the harvest of anti-American fanaticism and extremism.

Did Carter try to negotiate the release of the hostages? Yes, he tried to arrange the release to coincide with the November 1980 elections. Talk about your October surprises!

So what would you have had Carter do? You tell us that Carter had three choices and that the one he made was wrong, but you don't specifiy which one you think was right save to say that he should have "Made a decision and stuck to it", implying that his main sin was to change his mind. You have pretty much proved that Khomeini was a worse person than Carter though, but you haven't shown how Carter could have kept him out of power or even that if he had kept Khomeini out the alternative would have been any better. At that same time Saddam Hussein was coming to power in Iraq and he was recognized as an important US ally in the region and we all know how he turned out. Is there not an equal possibility that the Shah (or some other dictator Carter may have supported) would have turned out the same?

Censport said:
But hey, what do I know? I only lived through it.

Lived through it as in you were somehow personally involved in these events or lived through it as in you watched them unfold on your TV screen at home? The former might impress me, the latter doesn't really worth mentioning as in that sense I and half the population of the US "lived through it" too.

Censport said:
Okay, they made an error. And you're helping how, exactly?

Yes they made an error, a rather costly one at that. How exactly am I supposed to help? Am I somehow obliged to help the Bush administration conquer Iraq just because I'm discussing the subject on a message board? How exactly are you helping? Have you enlisted yet?

Censport said:
Yes you are.

Am I? Please show me where I have put a happy face on terrorism. If there has been any misconception let me be clear: terrorists who go around blowing up innocent women and children are a much of sick F--ks who deserve to be killed. The fact that I disagree with the Bush administration's way of doing that DOES NOT mean that I sympathize with the terrosists.

Censport said:
Yes he did.

I'd be interested in the names of these terror groups that Saddam was financing and how many attacks they have carried out against Americans because this is the first I've heard of that.

Censport said:
Indirect?!? Oh that's right, their main incentive was killing Jews. The fact that Ma got $25,000 compensation... well, I guess that was the icing on the cake, eh?

So...you are saying that Saddam's 25,000 dollars was the MAIN reason these people were strapping explosives to themselves and blowing up busloads of women and children? Does that make any sense? If someone came up to you, or anyone you know, and said "If you blow yourself up on that bus over there I'll give your mom 25,000 dollars" would you do it? If you did I would have to say that the 25,000 dollars to your mom would be pretty incidental because you would have to have been one pretty screwed up individual to begin with to do something like that. Its also worth mentioning that suicide bombings were going on well before Saddam started giving money to their moms and have continues well after Saddam's overthrow. So whatever impact that money had on suicide attacks would have to be described as pretty "indirect" by any reasonable standard.

Censport said:
Then you'll be comforted to know that Saddam had relationships with al-Qaeda members. Well, not in the Biblical or Michael Jackson sense...
Yes, his ENTIRE relationship with Al Quaida consisted of Al-Quaida asking Saddam for help and Saddam telling them to get lost. End of story.

Censport said:
Except the ability to harbor and finance terrorists.

Every country in the world has the ABILITY to harbor and finance terrorists. I believe Abu Nidal is the ONLY terrorist known to have been in Iraq prior to the invasion and as he hadn't been involved in an attack in nearly 20 years his presence there couldn't have been that high a priority that they absolutely had to invade Iraq to remove him as a threat.

Censport said:
Oh really? According to the military, Congresswoman (-person?) Marsha Blackburn, and my own (admittedly anecdotal) sources, we've destroyed over 400,000 tons of weapons that Saddam had that wasn't allowed under the '91 UN cease-fire agreement.

I'd be interested to know exactly what KIND of weapons were included in this 400,000 ton figure as they obviously weren't of the WMD or ballistic missile type.

Censport said:
Wrong. Statements and known facts are two different things. Saddam stated that he had WMDs then stated he had destroyed them. The UN inspectors couldn't find any evidence that he had destroyed them, nor could they find them (in mass quantities, anyway). The question is: Where the *%&$ are they now?

Wrong, the UN inspectors found evidence that Saddam had in fact destroyed most of his weapons and it was only a small portion that were unnacounted for. The inspectors themselves had overseen the destruction of most of the weapons. Furthermore of that unnacounted portion it was also known that a significant quantity of it would have decayed in the 12 years since the Gulf war and been completely unusable. The Cheif UN weapons Inspector stated that of the remaining unnacounted weapons there were numerous possible explanations for the discrepancy, only one of which being that Saddam had them hidden. And of the weapons he was suspected of harboring it was KNOWN (they did have a list) that even if he DID posses them they would not have been significant enough to alter the military balance in the region.

Or to pay the Kurds another visit.

Censport said:
He in fact did have a history of harboring terrorists and financing them.

Yes, you've said that before without providing any details. And of course its somewhat of an irrelevant point, isn't it? If we are to accept that stopping Iraq's financing and harboring of terrorists was a main reason for the war (or even a minor reason for it) it must also follow that the post-Saddam Iraq that the US had a plan for creating would NOT harbor or finance terrorists. And yet both of these activities have increased exponentially in the new Iraq, which either indicates that stopping terrorism in Iraq was never really considered part of the plan or the Bush administration has been grossly incompetent in handling things. The third possibility is that it was the Bush administration's policy all along to draw terrorists to Iraq to kill them as you implied earlier, though this theory conflicts with every other Bush objective in Iraq so directly that it must be dismissed as ridiculous.

Censport said:
Which is why I posted the article you didn't read from that Iraqi and what he thinks of your political ilk. Also, I posted the article earlier about 80% of Iraqis strongly wanting those awful free elections we imposed on them. Maybe that's the same 80% that wants the US military to leave? Could be, since the fastest way to get the US military out is, as I stated before, to get their country up and productive again. But then does that mean that the 20% that wants the US military to stay are the ones fighting them? Think they took time out to answer a poll? And if that 80% are the want both free elections and US troop withdrawal, what are they planning to do, fight the terrorists -ah, insurgents- themselves? Where is your logic coming from?

Yes, you posted an article presenting the views of ONE Iraqi whose views are his own and do not necessarily reflect those of everyone in the country. It wouldn't be particularly difficult for me to find an article written by an Iraqi supporting everything I've argued here either, but I didn't think it would serve any purpose so I haven't bothered.

I don't at all doubt that 80% of Iraqis want elections. But as I'm sure you are aware, the statistics gained from polls can be extremely subjective. For one thing, your argument is based on the assumption that having elections is THE most important issue to most Iraqis. That is, you feel that Iraqis are willing to make the significant sacrifices in other areas for the sake of voting. Voting means keeping the US troops in their country, which also means that the war between those who accept and reject the US presence and the associated violence will continue to tear significant portions of Iraq to pieces for the forseeable future. I don't have any accurate data, though intuition would suggest that if you asked Iraqis to prioritize their wants then ending the violence would probably be a higher priority than holding elections that will only sharpen the divide within Iraqi society and probably cause the violence to spread.

The Iraqis themselves have not been a part of the political process leading towards elections, all of the major decisions have been made by Washington, right down to the date the polls were going to be held. That isn't an insignificant point, the Occupation authority made significant, permanent changes to Iraq's legal and economic systems that severely limit the power of any future "soveriegn" government to actually govern the country.

My position is that the US should withdraw soon. They can't defeat the insurgency militarily and their efforts to do so over the past year and a half have only made matters worse. It seems that the issue of US troops is the biggest driving force behind the insurgents and by removing that issue it would be possible to defeat or co-opt them politically.

Crap, I've written too much. Feel free to respond but I don't think I can make any more posts here.

I think we have connected Sadam to Islamic Jihad and Hamas, but definitely not to al-Qaeda. Does anyone have sources?

senseiman said:
This will be my last post here, I don't have the time to carry on. Feel free to get the last word in though.
How can I resist? :)

senseiman said:
And exactly how many of the hijackers entered the US through Canada?
15 of the 19, I think. I'm working from memory here.

senseiman said:
OK, so you just think that everyone who supported withdrawing from Somalia is a coward (which is what you called Clinton)? That means that pretty much every US politician must be a coward, does it not?
In that instance, yes. If you're gonna do it, finish it. Bin Laden & co. refer to Somalia as proof to them that the U.S. was a paper tiger.

senseiman said:
You've got a point there, the UN certainly does have alot of problems. But just about any powerful body, including the US government for that matter, is going to be run by a bunch of "pompous, spoiled blowhards who are in love with their authority and status" so I don't see why it is fair to single out the UN for criticism here.
Because you brought them up.

senseiman said:
Actually Nixon did do a lot of globe trotting in his role as an elder statesman after he left office too. If you don't like Carter's grandstanding I can understand that but I don't see how you can fault Carter for trying to make a difference in his retirement.
"Making a difference" for the sake of having an impact of any kind may carry noble implications in some people's minds (journalists, liberal activists), but there is a profound difference between acting as an elder statesman in the best interests of your country (Nixon) and inserting yourself into situations to create a legacy for yourself (Carter). Also, Carter had a habit of catastrophic indecisions, such as the wheat deal with the Soviets that bankrupted so many American farmers and more minor ones such as yes-we-will/no-we-won't be sending athletes to compete at the Olympics. I saw the same "leadership qualities" in Kerry.

senseiman said:
So what would you have had Carter do? You tell us that Carter had three choices and that the one he made was wrong, but you don't specifiy which one you think was right save to say that he should have "Made a decision and stuck to it", implying that his main sin was to change his mind.
My apologies. I should have made it clear that I supported the last option listed, supporting the Shah while pressing for reform. I feel that it would've had the best potential for short-term and long-term results.

senseiman said:
You have pretty much proved that Khomeini was a worse person than Carter though, but you haven't shown how Carter could have kept him out of power or even that if he had kept Khomeini out the alternative would have been any better.
We would've stood a better chance of keeping Khomeni out of power, at least out of absolute power, had Carter taken the option I supported. And no, I can't guarentee that the alternative would've been better than what happened, any more than you can prove that Carter made the right decision(s). Sorry, my crystal ball is in the shop.

senseiman said:
At that same time Saddam Hussein was coming to power in Iraq and he was recognized as an important US ally in the region and we all know how he turned out. Is there not an equal possibility that the Shah (or some other dictator Carter may have supported) would have turned out the same?
Saddam was a lesser-of-two-evils choice at that time. No, there was not an equal opportunity that the Shah would've turned out the same. And you can see how the man Carter supported, Khomeni, turned out.

senseiman said:
Lived through it as in you were somehow personally involved in these events or lived through it as in you watched them unfold on your TV screen at home? The former might impress me, the latter doesn't really worth mentioning as in that sense I and half the population of the US "lived through it" too.
While I'm from a politically active family, we didn't have connections on that level, and certainly not during the Carter administration. I didn't take the time to look up your profile, so I don't know your age.

senseiman said:
How exactly am I supposed to help? Am I somehow obliged to help the Bush administration conquer Iraq just because I'm discussing the subject on a message board? How exactly are you helping? Have you enlisted yet?
You could start by not telling the troops that they're wasting their time in Iraq. I'm too old to enlist.

senseiman said:
I'd be interested in the names of these terror groups that Saddam was financing and how many attacks they have carried out against Americans because this is the first I've heard of that.
Okay, here's a start.

senseiman said:
So...you are saying that Saddam's 25,000 dollars was the MAIN reason these people were strapping explosives to themselves and blowing up busloads of women and children? <snip> Its also worth mentioning that suicide bombings were going on well before Saddam started giving money to their moms and have continues well after Saddam's overthrow. So whatever impact that money had on suicide attacks would have to be described as pretty "indirect" by any reasonable standard.
I'm not saying that. I'm saying it was an extra incentive. Also, you're confusing "indirect" with "insignificant". He was directly involved, and contributed directly. He did not make up the bulk of suicide bombings nor did he invent the process.

senseiman said:
Yes, his ENTIRE relationship with Al Quaida consisted of Al-Quaida asking Saddam for help and Saddam telling them to get lost. End of story.
Not quite.
Salman Pak
Iraqi funds, training fuel Islamic terror group
another connection
and another
and finally, one from an Iraqi news outlet

senseiman said:
Every country in the world has the ABILITY to harbor and finance terrorists.
Yeah, but Sweden wasn't on our short list.

senseiman said:
I'd be interested to know exactly what KIND of weapons were included in this 400,000 ton figure as they obviously weren't of the WMD or ballistic missile type.
Okay, here's a few:
French weapons, cluster bombs, Russian bombs
This anti-runway bomb, 1 of 30
AA-8 "Aphid" missile
South African cluster bomb

senseiman said:
Furthermore of that unnacounted portion it was also known that a significant quantity of it would have decayed in the 12 years since the Gulf war and been completely unusable.
Someone at the CIA disagrees with you.

senseiman said:
Voting means keeping the US troops in their country, which also means that the war between those who accept and reject the US presence and the associated violence will continue to tear significant portions of Iraq to pieces for the forseeable future. I don't have any accurate data, though intuition would suggest that if you asked Iraqis to prioritize their wants then ending the violence would probably be a higher priority than holding elections that will only sharpen the divide within Iraqi society and probably cause the violence to spread.
That's some pretty interesting intuition you've got there. How would holding elections prolong the violence? I see them as a step towards ending the violence.

senseiman said:
The Iraqis themselves have not been a part of the political process leading towards elections, all of the major decisions have been made by Washington, right down to the date the polls were going to be held.
Wrong. The decisions have been made in conjunction with Iraqi principals.

senseiman said:
My position is that the US should withdraw soon. They can't defeat the insurgency militarily and their efforts to do so over the past year and a half have only made matters worse. It seems that the issue of US troops is the biggest driving force behind the insurgents and by removing that issue it would be possible to defeat or co-opt them politically.
Right out of the McGovern playbook. (See: Paper tiger, above) They can defeat the terrorists -ah, insurgents- militarily, and should. After all, you know where their attention is going to be directed if the US military isn't there, don't you? The civilian populace. Zarqawi even made a public statement a few days ago that their enemy is democracy. His exact words? "We have declared a fierce war on this evil principle of democracy and those who follow this wrong ideology." I remember the entire South Vietnamese population was enslaved, millions sent to re-education camps, and the Hmoungs were wiped out as a culture in Vietnam. Is that what you want to see happening in Iraq? It's interesting that you claim to be against terrorists, you would basically be handing them Iraq as a bigger base of future operations if we pulled out now. Unless you're trying to tell me that Zarqawi and the insurgents are just dying to start rebuilding bridges and feeding children...

It's been fun. I'm sure we'll be talking about other subjects in other threads. Buh-bye! :wave:

senseiman...come back! come back!

(kind of like that last scene in Shane)

Ya'know our muslim friends have been quiet about this whole thread. I don't see any Spanish flags either. Australia? Indonesia? (don't forget the Bali bombings)

Is it only know it all North Americans who care about this issue?

sabro said:
Ya'know our muslim friends have been quiet about this whole thread. I don't see any Spanish flags either. Australia? Indonesia? (don't forget the Bali bombings)

Is it only know it all North Americans who care about this issue?

-yes & no- hello!?
yes, quiet for that not more than those words written here needed for blowing
more bubbles in to the air without resolving rather than clarifying
any ratio of war. (and this a bubble of me here now)
no, because not only NA#s do, Euros either do care.
and, hello :wave: ->one other fact lies also a while ago back in time, but President Dwight D. Eisenhower said it all as a other the moderate policies of "Modern Republicanism" pursuing northern american, and from Texas as well: 'America is a military industrial complex.'
words reflect - acts protect.

mata ne

myjp said:
-yes & no- hello!?
yes, quiet for that not more than those words written here needed for blowing
more bubbles in to the air without resolving rather than clarifying
any ratio of war. (and this a bubble of me here now)
no, because not only NA#s do, Euros either do care.
and, hello :wave: ->one other fact lies also a while ago back in time, but President Dwight D. Eisenhower said it all as a other the moderate policies of "Modern Republicanism" pursuing northern american, and from Texas as well: 'America is a military industrial complex.'
words reflect - acts protect.

mata ne
Thanks for replying.
I'm not clear on everything you are saying here, but I think I got the main point.

I still need clarification on what the exact intellectual conflict is- Is al-Qaeda just a figment of our imagination? Is that what the documentary argues? Do you think we are overreacting? Sorry for being thick in the skull, but give it to me in small words.

Sorry, I know I said that would be my last post but you asked a couple questions and raised a few points that needed responding to.

1) I'm not telling the troops they are wasting their time, there aren't any troops here (AFAIK) and as a former soldier myself I know how tasteless and insensitive it is to say things like that to service members.

2) I don't see how the US is going to defeat the insurgents militarily. They've had the most powerful military machine in the world in there for almost two years now doing everything they know how and at every corner they've turned where it looked like the situation might improve it has only gotten worse. The only possible way to defeat the insurgency militarily now would be to take out ALL the stops and just carpet bomb all four provinces into oblivion. But the amount of collateral damage inflicted and the ripple effects that would have elsewhere would mean that while solving one problem it would create numerous others, so it isn't really a viable solution at all.

Its misleading to imply that somebody like Zarqawi would take over Iraq if the Americans left. The Islamic militants like him have no political base in Iraq and are only there for the purpose of fighting the Americans. When the US troops leave, they would probably follow - as you yourself admit - with the intention of fighting the US elsewhere (admittedly that may include the US itself but with US troops stationed across the globe there are probably a lot of handier targets for them). Withdrawing US troops would also deflate the political power of the insurgents as ridding their country of the foreign presence is their main rallying cry. The insurgents are sunni who only make up 20% or so of Iraq's population, they are no match for the Shi'ite who outnumber them 3 to 1. With the withdrawal of the Americans sapping their political strength and being unable to challenge the Shi'ites militarily for supremacy, the leadership of the insurgency would be forced to enter negotiations. If they could turn the bulk of the Sunni community against the armed uprising it would be relatively easy to root out the hardliners. As long as the Americans remain though, this is not going to be possible as it is the active support of Sunni society that allows the insurgency to flourish in the 'Sunni triangle'.

I didn't want to bring it up, but the Vietnam parallel is actually worth considering. In the aftermath of the fall of Saigon about 50,000 people were killed in purges, 1 million people fled the country as boat people and most of the rest of the population were sent off to indoctrination camps for periods ranging from several weeks to several years for members of the former regime.

Bad as that is, compare that to the cost of the war itself. 3 to 4 million killed, 10 million turned into refugees, three countries left in utter ruin. If the US simply hadn't gotten involved in the first place almost none of that destruction would have taken place. Not only would the violence of the war itself been avoided, but the Vietnamese communists wouldn't have had the power nor inclination to carry out the purges they did following the war if it hadn't been for the massive damage just inflicted on their country as a result. Or, to take a more close parallel, lets say the US withdrew in 1967 when it was first becoming apparent that the war was a lost cause. That would have saved 30,000 US lives, over a million Vietnamese lives and prevented the war from spreading to Laos and Cambodia. In Cambodia the reign of terror by the Khmer Rouge who rose to power as a direct result of the bombing campaign in their country would never have happened. And the end result, Vietnam being unified under Hanoi's rule, would have been the same, only the Vietnamese themselves could have gotten on with rebuilding their country about a decade earlier.

In the end "staying the course" in Vietnam just prolonged the destruction and made the end outcome even worse than it needed to be. I fear that doing the same in Iraq may have the same results. There is no telling how long this war will drag on or what the ultimate costs will be if the US stubbornly insists on staying in until they have militarily defeated the insurgency, a task that the Bush administration has already proven itself woefully incapable of handling.

Sorry to break my word about that being my last post (the Jimmy Carter in me showing through) but I wanted to sum up my position a bit better. Perhaps you could do the same as a way of formally ending the debate.

Last edited:
I'm back!

Actually, I've been back for awhile. But I've been abnormally busy, and I wanted to wait until I had time to sit down and write a coherent response. After looking at this thread, I think Senseiman has more or less said what I wanted to, and probably better than I could have put it. Maybe I should do this more often...

:D

Rather than take respond point by point, as Senseiman has, I'll just try to sum things up as best I can.

I have 2 points.

1. Our rationale for entering this war was to A) capture WMD and B) prevent Saddam from aiding Al Qaeda.

Both of A) and B) are and were bogus.

2. I agree with, "You break it, you buy it." Now that's we're in Iraq, we have are responsible for setting up a legitmate government and guaranteeing civil liberties.

I think we're doing a horrible job of both and going about it in the wrong way.

First let's deal with the weapons of mass destruction that aren't there. Yes, I have read plenty of articles claiming to have found evidence of their existence. I've also read plenty of news about bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster. If people believe they exist, what's so hard about believing Iraq had WMD? And the "link" to Al Qaeda... For those of you who believe Saddam was in cahoots with the Taliban, let me know. I have a few magic beans to sell you.

THE WEAPONS THAT WEREN?fT
But don?ft take my word for it.

Colin Powell, recent CIA reports, the UN, and various other independent sources can vouch for that. I?fll give a few worth mentioning, but anyone with a keyboard and head to bang it on can do a search and find more. I think it's also important to note that the search for WMD in Iraq officially ended. I know a few parents whose kids are in Iraq who aren't to happy knowing their son got sent to secure something that wasn't there.

UN: IRAQ HAD NO WMD AFTER 1994 (Tuesday, March 2, 2004 by USA Today)

Ex-Arms Hunter Kay Says No WMD Stockpiles in Iraq (LINK)

Truth About Iraq Known; Fallout Isn't (LINK)

Again and again, I keep hearing how it was up to Saddam to prove he didn't have weapons. That's right. Guilty until proven innocent.

THE AL QAEDA LINK

Taken from the NY times we have Powell yet again?c

Secretary of State Colin L. Powell conceded Thursday that despite his assertions to the United Nations last year, he had no "smoking gun" proof of a link between the government of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and terrorists of Al Qaeda.
"I have not seen smoking-gun, concrete evidence about the connection," Mr. Powell said, in response to a question at a news conference. "But I think the possibility of such connections did exist, and it was prudent to consider them at the time that we did."

And to add some irony to the mix:

US Contractor in Iraq Helped Fund Al Qaeda! (LINK)

Here?fs the funny part!
Some quotes from the Bush administration:

National Security Advisor Rice
The New Republic (June 30, 2003)
September 25, 2002

"There clearly are contacts between Al Qaeda and Iraq?c There clearly is testimony that some of the contacts have been important contacts and that there's a relationship there."

Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld
September 26, 2002

In Washington on September 26, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld claimed he had "bulletproof" evidence of ties between Saddam and Al Qaeda

Tell me these don't sound like scare tactics...

National Security Advisor Rice
September 8, 2002

"There will always be some uncertainty about how quickly [Saddam] can acquire nuclear weapons. But we don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud."

Secretary Rumsfeld
September 8, 2002

"Imagine a September eleventh with weapons of mass destruction. It's not three thousand – it's tens of thousands of innocent men, women and children."

Deputy Secretary of Defense Wolfowitz
Council on Foreign Relations
January 23, 2003

"And, of course, there is every reason to believe that things are being moved constantly and hidden. The whole purpose, if you think about it, for Iraq constructing mobile units to produce biological weapons could only have been to be able to hide them. We know about that capability from defectors and other sources, but unless Iraq comes clean about what it has, we cannot expect the inspectors to find them?c

That's most of it for part 1. I'll be back with part 2 later.

On a side note, speaking as a moderator, this has been a great thread. I think we've all seen political discussions go bad and know how ugly that can get. So far, no name calling, no bashing, and intelligent responses. Let's keep it up!

senseiman said:
2) I don't see how the US is going to defeat the insurgents militarily. They've had the most powerful military machine in the world in there for almost two years now doing everything they know how and at every corner they've turned where it looked like the situation might improve it has only gotten worse. The only possible way to defeat the insurgency militarily now would be to take out ALL the stops and just carpet bomb all four provinces into oblivion. But the amount of collateral damage inflicted and the ripple effects that would have elsewhere would mean that while solving one problem it would create numerous others, so it isn't really a viable solution at all.
I disagree that it's gotten worse. I know, it's only my opinion...

Things have been quieting down lately in several key areas. Does that mean the insurgents are just preparing for major attacks this weekend? Could be.

But I strongly disagree about carpet-bombing the areas. In my opinion that is exactly what the insurgents want us to do. Stay with me for a minute here... I think it was you or mad pierrot who said that the four main areas of conflict held 50% of Iraq's population, no? Okay, now remember the mosque in Najaf? I think that the insurgents are concetrating their efforts in these areas in order to wreak the most collateral damage by U.S. troops. If we carpet bomb (especially before the elections), we will only prove their propaganda (and the BBC's, NPR's, NY Times', al-Jazeera's) etc.) that we're a callous, bloodthirsty regime bent on wiping out Islam. It's not unlike Saddam putting anti-aircraft guns on top of school buildings.

More troops would be a good idea, if that's what the field commanders want. They'll run out of forces before we will. It'll also help us rotate the troops home more often.

senseiman said:
Its misleading to imply that somebody like Zarqawi would take over Iraq if the Americans left. The Islamic militants like him have no political base in Iraq and are only there for the purpose of fighting the Americans.
I wasn't saying that Zarqawi wants to run for office (Campaign slogan: "A bomb-laden Toyota in every garage and an aid-worker's head in every pot!"), I'm saying that the people Zarqawi represents - those who oppose free elections as much as he does - will try to rule Iraq if we pull out. Not lead Iraq, rule it.

senseiman said:
When the US troops leave, they would probably follow - as you yourself admit - with the intention of fighting the US elsewhere (admittedly that may include the US itself but with US troops stationed across the globe there are probably a lot of handier targets for them).
You're almost putting words in my mouth there, but not quite. Besides, didn't one of you guys claim that non-Iraqis made up less than 10% of the insurgency? Following your train of thought above, there wouldn't be many fighters following the US troops out. Might as well kill 'em where we've got 'em.

senseiman said:
Withdrawing US troops would also deflate the political power of the insurgents as ridding their country of the foreign presence is their main rallying cry. The insurgents are sunni who only make up 20% or so of Iraq's population, they are no match for the Shi'ite who outnumber them 3 to 1. With the withdrawal of the Americans sapping their political strength and being unable to challenge the Shi'ites militarily for supremacy, the leadership of the insurgency would be forced to enter negotiations. If they could turn the bulk of the Sunni community against the armed uprising it would be relatively easy to root out the hardliners.
Good idea, but something of a risk. It seems like everytime we leave work up to the Iraqis (or Afghanis in the previous conflict), someone somewhere is easily bought and corruption undermines their efforts.

senseiman said:
I didn't want to bring it up, but the Vietnam parallel is actually worth considering.
As poorly managed as Vietnam was, it did serve a purpose. We were fighting the spread of communism (Not that every American agreed with that, but they've never lived under communist rule.). Now while we didn't stop Vietnam from being run by communists, we did contain the spread somewhat. Of course, there were critics during the Cold War who said that the threat of communism was overhyped. Many, like Carter, said that communism could never be defeated and that we'd just have to learn to live with a communist superpower.

I still don't know why you can't consider winning as an option. We could've won Vietnam in a convincing fashion, but didn't. Before this war, you weren't one of those who agreed with predictions of 10,000 American troops dead in the invasion alone, were you?

Welcome back!

mad pierrot said:
1. Our rationale for entering this war was to A) capture WMD and B) prevent Saddam from aiding Al Qaeda.

Hmmmm. Granted, we haven't captured WMDs, but we may have prevented Saddam from aiding al-Qaeda in the future. We don't know if he was going to or not, and may never know.

mad pierrot said:
2. I agree with, "You break it, you buy it." Now that's we're in Iraq, we have are responsible for setting up a legitmate government and guaranteeing civil liberties.

I agree that we should help clean up and builld, not just shoot and run. But as I've stated before, I disagree that we're going about it all wrong.

mad pierrot said:
I've also read plenty of news about bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster.
Hey that's nothing... I've read claims that 7 of the 19 hijackers are still alive and working for the US government! BWAhahaha! So we're supposed to believe that not only was it possible for ANYONE to survive ANY of the plane crashes, but that the ones who did were all hijackers. I'd trade those 7 hijackers to have Barbara Olsen back any day of the week (she was on the 757 which crashed into the Pentagon).

mad pierrot said:
And the "link" to Al Qaeda... For those of you who believe Saddam was in cahoots with the Taliban, let me know. I have a few magic beans to sell you.
I thought I provided links on that. I'll go back and look.

mad pierrot said:
And to add some irony to the mix:

US Contractor in Iraq Helped Fund Al Qaeda! (LINK)
Irony? An Iraqi businessman had financial ties to al-Qaeda prior to 9/11? That's irony? Sen. Teddy Kennedy was on the "no-fly" list and called Ashcroft three times before he was removed. That he was on the "no-fly" list when he should've been on the "no-drive" since 1968 is ironic.

mad pierrot said:
On a side note, speaking as a moderator, this has been a great thread. I think we've all seen political discussions go bad and know how ugly that can get. So far, no name calling, no bashing, and intelligent responses. Let's keep it up!
Aside from regularly getting sidetracked from the original topic (Oops! Sorry boss!), it's been going good.

mad pierrot said:
I have 2 points.

I agree. see my previous post as to why 1B is bogus.
I think we need broader support in the world community to accomplish #2.

Censport, Mad Pierrot and Sabro: I'd like to thank you all for letting me take part in this very civil debate, I really enjoyed it.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on most of these things, censport. In no way am I not considering winning an option. I just think that the best way for the US to win this war ("win" being understood as establishing a stable, democratic government in Iraq) is for the US to withdraw its forces and let the majority Shi'ites - who have no love for the insurgents - take care of business themselves.

This thread has been viewed 48320 times.

Back