Debate Do you accept easily criticism about your country's system or government ?

Do you accept easily foreign criticism about your country's system or government ?

• I don't mind, but be prepared for war !

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Maciamo said:
I don't know if you noticed that the question was "Do you accept easily foreign criticism...", so not from yourself or people living in your country.
Quite honestly, I just read the title of this thread.

While in Japan I often heard criticism about America. I was there right as the war started. And, although I often agreed with what they we're saying, I didn't appreciate that they often seemed to be blaming me personally. Americans complain to eachother about the country often, but (I don't care who you are) it's harder to accept criticism from other nationals, so be careful when doing it. It's like, I can say something bad about my mother, but you can't. I would listen to what they had to say, until they crossed the line (so that's what I voted for).

maybe its an old guy thing,

while it would be nice and make me seem open-minded to say sure I accept it. I have to say honestly it really rubs me the wrong way. I love the US and like spirited political debates with my fellow Americans, but what might pass as "foreign criticism" feels like somebody badmouthing my wife. I might good naturedly tease my wife but woe be to the misguided ***** that badmouths her for I will set aside my good nature and (in the words of the waterboy) open a can of whoop ass on him. I know it's illogical to feel that way about your country, and while I know it (my country) makes a lot of mistakes and isn't perfect... I still love it

I'm almost completely different from TheKansaiKid.

I love my country just as much as he does, but I not only encourge people (from everywhere) to voice their opinions (Even when it makes me so furious I have to leave, shut off the computer, or get away to avoid commiting violence), but I also encourge everyone I know to constantly question the status quo and to question the motives of our government.

My rational for this is that any government is made up only by men and they are fallable. We have to constantly question their motives and their integrity in order to keep them honest and to keep them working on the path of justice and liberty. I feel many Americans don't appreciate how incredible their civil liberties are and how blessed they are to enjoy such a high degree of freedom in this world. I feel often that they are complacent and lazy and willing to think lazy because "Thats the way things have always been" - atleast so long as they've been alive. To be honest, there are not many Americans these days that dare to question the future of the country in terms of examining if we will continue to enjoy our liberty or not.

My philosophy on such matters can be summed up in three quotes. One of them is from one of my favorite American thinkers and the other two predate our republic and stretch far backwards in time to another republic that has since faded into antiquity.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin.

"Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes." - Latin saying (Juvenal), translation: Who watches the watchmen?

"Qui tacet consentit." - Latin saying, translation: Silence implies consent.

Mal

I don't like when foreigners criticize my country, even if i criticize it a lot myself.

valid criticism should know no boundries, i critisize britain 9my country) japan, america, and every other country i feel deserves it.

i dont really enjoy the company of someone who takes such personal offense at a criticism of their conutry, i think thats pretty moronic attitude, unless they mistake their country as themselves.

i also hate rampant patriotism, ide die for my country in the right circumstances if i absolutely had to but it doesnt mean im going to fall out with someone for saying what they think of my country.

I can usually take criticism of my country. I'm English, we had all the woes of the modern world put at our door. Poverty in Africa to the Arab/ Israeli conflicts have all been blamed on British past foriegn policies. As long as the critics are balanced and fair to the judgements they are making on my country. Even our own government has criticised this country. We have done bad things in the past and they do deserve to be looked at. What I do object to is just attacks made against this country that are without any reason except the person doesn't like Britain or the English. Ignorance is not an excuse for slagging any country off or its people. I might lapse occassionally, but I try to maintain a sense of decorum and try not to resort to general name calling.

im german. hit me in the face with it.
-_-

no seriously, i believe criticism is a good think as long as its productive and justified.

I voted 5, 8 and 9, as they all were true. I'm actually really interested of how other percieve my country, good or bad, and I also criticise it myself often, as the way to utopia is to never be satisifed.

:)

But people should also accept my views back if we're on the subject. And of course, it is always nicer if the criticism is somewhat substantiated at least, which works both ways.

Shas said:
im german. hit me in the face with it.
-_-
no seriously, i believe criticism is a good think as long as its productive and justified.
almost the same, but the fact is that i would (and i'm dont) feel concerned by the criticism about my country. i remember the us news making fun of "my" country (understand just the area i live in right now) about some strike taking place again, and in these situation, i feel really, really ashamed to be a representant of the country when i'm abroad :eek:kashii: .
in fact, some things disgust me so much that i'd be ready to move in another country (as long as i know the language, that's fine :) ).

I also believe that constuctive criticism is good. I also understand that not everyone will like a country for whatever reason. I've had discussions with several people (about 5 or 6) from different countries about the U.S. They all pointed out what they felt was "bad" about the U.S. but they refused to talk about what they felt was "good". Now whether this was because they just wanted to bash the U.S. or they never took that step to think about it, I don't know. I just think the effort should be made to understand both the good and the bad.

That being said, I will admit to a huge ignorance on my part about many countries in the world. One of me routines is to read newspapers from various countries to try and learn about the good and the bad of other countries.

I voted that I can accept criticism as long as it is justified. But the word "justified" can be very subjective. When is someone "justified" in criticising or not? I do certainly wish that foreigners would use "the American government" when they are criticising. It feels, these days, that we the American people are targeted. It also depends on which "foreigner" is doing the criticising. If you see my post on "The Clash of Cultures" you will see that certain cultures will clash more than others. So if an Islamic person criticizes America and the government it would be seen by most as almost "terrorist". If a European criticizes America, then that is certainly tolerable. So, it kinda depends on which foreigner is doing the criticism as well.

I voted for the last option, "I am completely open to criticism from abroad and also criticize my own country a lot." I am a bit underread in politics and economy, so I am always willing to listen if it is truth and not an ignorant remark. Just because it is my government I will not be more tolerant of any laxity in the administration, public offices, the parliament, or the justice system. I guess I can be a bit wary of certain "criticisms" with a hidden agenda. If an argument means only to point out the shortcomings, I consider that good and even necessary. Nevertheless I will be highly beligerent towards dishonest attacks for the purpose of diffusing an argument in vilolation of sound logical practice. I can defend any agenda, and criticise any, for the sole purpose of logic, (and perhaps truth if lucky,) for logic rules, (while truth evades,) yay, (oh) !

Last edited:
lexico i'm confused about your nationality :p
is it south korea or wat :p ?

Why are you confused ? S.Korean. Is that bad :? Why, o, why ? :D

no no, by all means, i donna i always had the impression u were a foreigner residing in south korea, my fault :eek:

NP, dude, and I'm full blooded... no genetic advantage by being mixed. :p I thought you meant I got too hot headed when I'm on the self-righteous warpath ! Hehe... :D

edit: It really is confusing at times. It does feel like im in the middle of America here... I'm not well-travelled btw... it could have been any Egnlish speaking country.

Last edited:
no worries, sometimes i have serious questions about my identity, supposed to be south eastern european but don't fit the hairy steretype and a lotta of ppl mistake me for being dutch so I have deep issues to resolve within myself :p

Duo said:
no worries, sometimes i have serious questions about my identity, supposed to be south eastern european but don't fit the hairy steretype and a lotta of ppl mistake me for being dutch so I have deep issues to resolve within myself :p
I understand. I know what it feels like to be surrounded by people who look different. Also to be constantly misidenfitied is not such a positive think unless of course you've developed a special kind of humor to not let it be a problem no more.

I was goin to post something related in one of the "racism" threads, and the idea has been quoted, too. Let me paraphrase it (you probably know this already)

"The variation between different racial/national/ethnic groups is less than the wide range found within any one racial/national/ethnic group."

I for one was rarely identified as Korean either in West coast US where there's a highly Asian population; some of my friends made fun of me for looking like a Tartari -- I've never seen one, but I guess I'll just look in a mirror if I get really curious. :D

This thread has been viewed 60831 times.

Back