• Other

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters

Mycernius

The Hairy Wookie
Reaction score
Ethnic group
English
I have noticed a lot of people on this forum seem to be very well read. Just wondering what type of books do you normally read, if at all? If I haven't included your favourite in the poll I apolagise now. There are just so many different classes of books. You will just have to put it in other and expand. Thanks :)

Currently, I'm reading the books by Daniel Goleman, and especially on the Mind and Life meetings that took place between the Dalai Lama, other buddhists, scientists, philosphers, and doctors. Destructive Emotions: And How We Can Overcome Them, and Healing Emotions: Conversations with the Dalai Lama on Mindfulness, Emotions, and Health.. Fascinating books, and the results of some of the tests that have been done on Buddhist meditators have been featured in both Times and National Geographic.

Other books I read are fantasy, Buddhist and Christian books, magazines, and sports books.

I love reading. I always read magazines, mostly on videogames and F1. I mostly like books on F1 (bios or autobios) but history (WWII) graphic novels (sandman) sci fi (star wars) and some classics like the hobbit.

I basically read general fiction. Right now I'm reading The Namesake by Jhumpra Lahiri. My favorite author is Anne Rice. But I try to be open minded when it comes to literature. :p

Mainly social sciences (politics, psychology), sometimes military or political history, current affairs and international relations magazines. I used to read a lot of fiction but I seem to have lost interest recently. Occasionally biographies.

I checked off so many categories that I had to go back and make certain that I picked only the correct ones.

I cannot believe that I am the only one who reads cook books. Aren't any of you out there trying to make something really good to eat? The entire Forum cannot be eating either fast-food or supping with Mom and Dad.

"I read so that I know I am not alone." C. S. Lewis

Right now I'm reading Howard Zinn's Voices of a People's History of the United States and George H. Smith's Atheism: The Case Against God.

Pretty much literature and non-fiction for me.

I love reading!! I am always reading something, often a fiction and a non-fiction.
I am currently reading Dan Brown's Angels and Demons AND a new book by Peter Lindert, Social spending and economic growth since the eighteenth century.

i got my moments of reading, right now i can not read at all, because i have problems with concentration :worried: and got to much energie sometimes...

the last book i read was a computer book for my studie...
but i like books from john grisham, nichi french, one book i really love was the book Tokyo,,, i would recoment it to you guys, and i wonder if it is treu about if it happen on the black market... with the food.. :clueless:

i love reading, but watching a movie is bit more easy for my mind, but when i read a book i mostly finnish it in a day or 4.

I cannot believe that I am the only one who reads cook books. Aren't any of you out there trying to make something really good to eat? The entire Forum cannot be eating either fast-food or supping with Mom and Dad.

I read cookbooks! I read almost everything except for horror. The book I'm currently reading is My Antonia by Willa Cather.

Ma Cherie said:
My favorite author is Anne Rice. But I try to be open minded when it comes to literature. :p

You must be a kindred spirit. While I read just about anything in print (I read the back of the lotion in a bathroom if I'm bored) Anne Rice is my favorite author along with John Grisham.

I read sci/fi like the lord of the rings, romance novels, horror, obviously a lot of text because my field is Biochemistry and I'm currently working on my Masters, my Bible, and just about anything with a great story line. I am also right now stuck on Inuyasha fanfiction...started out reading one just to past the time until my next scroll was translated- and now here I am logging into my fanfiction sites at least once a day looking to see if one of the stories that I'm reading has been updated.

Basically I love to read...as a younger person I would stay up all night with a book and a flashlight and it's a bad habit that I have yet to break. If a story is really good, I can't wait to finish it so I'll stay up all night just to see what happens in the end. I've gone for a couple days on just a few hours of sleep before b/c I wanted to finish the book. I haven't always been into reading the news or anything like that, but I've grown to reading newsweek and other periodicals to try and keep up with the global climate.

I'm a reader. Dabble at writing every once in a while, but for the most part I read.

Shooter452 said:
I checked off so many categories that I had to go back and make certain that I picked only the correct ones.

"I read so that I know I am not alone." C. S. Lewis

Hey I read cook books too...so that makes two of us :wave:

Oh yeah and my current reads are a paper for class (posting instead of reading it) The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin, The Mummy by Anne Rice and several fanfics

Since I mentioned it...

futekioosha said:
Hey I read cook books too...so that makes two of us :wave:
There are even more, now!

I must admit that I have not been given the training of a classic chef, but the "cook-it-yerself" cook books make it possible for even clots like me to whip up a decent meal. Currently my cook books and my on-line access are leaning toward the great New Orleans & TV chef, Emeril Lagasse!

If you like to eat, you need to learn how to cook!

futekioosha said:
Oh yeah and my current reads are a paper for class (posting instead of reading it) The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin, The Mummy by Anne Rice and several fanfics

You write fanfiction, too. Cool! :cool: I do, too. You must tell me how you like The Mummy by Anne Rice. I've only read the Vampire Chronicles. But for some reason my interest always seem to shift in literature. Like at first, I would read nothing but novels read by Asain American authors. Like I would read The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan. But now, my interest has shifted to Middle Eastern culture, so now I would like to read some Middle Eastern literature. :)

I'll shut up now. :bluush:

The cookbooks I've bought recently have tons of recipe of Spanish cooking and the curry dishes with beautiful pictures, that will make you hungry by just looking at them.
They were bargain price of $5.99 a piece, so I bought two of the ones that really spoke to me. Now I can try to make paella, which I have failed everytime in the past.

The other kind of book I like to read lately are poems.
One of my favorite poet is Charles Bukowski; there was a movie called "Barfly" which is a semibiography of him.

Shooter452 said:
/QUOTE]

Fear not, Shooter !

I am an absolute s-u-c-k-e-r for cook books ! ( I had to do that ! The forum didn't like "******".... !)

Chinese, Japanese, French, Greek, Mexican.... you name it !

My wife and I found to our horror, the last time we moved house, that we had amassed a joint library of more than 4500 books !

I think they cover all the categories in the poll !

And they weigh a helluvalot !

Regards,

?W????

My wife and I found to our horror, the last time we moved house, that we had amassed a joint library of more than 4500 books !

When I moved last year I hired a moving company that billed me by weight instead of volume (I actually prefer this because of odd shapes of furniture, etc). Anyway, when we weighed my personal library I discovered that I was posession of 850 pounds of books. Honestly, I don't even know how thats possible. I think books are like rabbits, they just multiply the longer you have them. (I had only lived at that place for a few years as well!)

Maybe if I put dust jackets on all my books they won't reproduce as fast ;)

I like Anne Rice, but mostly I'm into crime... My favourite author is Val McDermid, who wrote my favourite book, The Wire in The Blood... Books about criminal profiling interest me... and spies, I'm reading Funeral in Berlin right now.

Well it seems no one her likes suspense thrillers.(Geez.. spare me) :)

My fav author is Frederick Forscythe: Day of the Jackal(MUST READ),The Odessa File, The Fourth Protocol.
Besides i do like Ayn Rand,Atlas Shrugged and Fountain Head.On the "lighter" side i like
EDIT: adore PG Wodehouse Life at Blandings,Uncle Fred etc etc

chill

This thread has been viewed 40996 times.

Back