English language test

Mycernius

The Hairy Wookie
Reaction score
Ethnic group
English
Let's see how many of you can say this phrase right first time, including native English speakers, without looking at the answers first:-

A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed.

Saw it in a book thought I'd post it, as it shows how crazy this language is.
Answers below-
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> :)
>
>
>
>
>keep going
>
>
>
>
> :wave:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
The Answers:-
Rough as in 'Puff', Dough as in 'Oh', Thoughtful as in 'Port', Ploughman as in ' Thou', Through as in 'too', Scarborough as in 'Curragh', Slough as in 'Buff', Coughed as in 'Soft' and Hiccoughed as in 'Cup'
:wave:

Mycernius said:
The Answers:-
Rough as in 'Puff', Dough as in 'Oh', Thoughtful as in 'Port', Ploughman as in ' Thou', Through as in 'too', Scarborough as in 'Curragh', Slough as in 'Buff', Coughed as in 'Soft' and Hiccoughed as in 'Cup'

lets see I said these correctly:

Rough as in 'Puff'
Dough as in 'doughnut' or 'donut' or 'doh'
Thoughtful as in 'Port'?
Ploughman as in 'Thou'
Through as in 'too'
Coughed as in 'Soft'

incorrectly:

Scarborough as in 'Curragh
Slough as in 'Buff'
Hiccoughed as in 'Cup'

:relief:

Mycernius said:
A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed.
I got these as in your answers; (but that doesn't mean we sound alike, both sounds may have shifted! :p )
Rough as in 'Puff',
Dough as in 'Oh',
Ploughman as in ' Thou',
Through as in 'too',
Coughed as in 'Soft',
and Hiccoughed as in 'Cup'

These I got different answers;
Thoughtful as in 'Port' --> mine still retains the /r/ sound :p
Scarborough as in 'Curragh' --> mine was /scar-burrow/, I wasn't too sure to begin with, but Simon and Garfunkle had is sung that way. How do you exactly read Curragh ? My dictionary gives me 3 different readings... :clueless:

This I got the same answer, but... my dictionary says Slough is /slau/.??
Slough as in 'Buff',

In England it is like burra. My Canadian cousins say burrow. The 'ow' must be a north american way of saying it. I think the port sound is the same reason. Slough can be said both ways. There is a town in England called Slough as rhymes with plough. The slough, as in puff, in when a snake sloughs its skin. Hope that clears it up for you.

Mycernius said:
Let's see how many of you can say this phrase right first time, including native English speakers, without looking at the answers first:-

Ok, here's my version:
rough with ou as in grow or oh (rhyming with dough)
dough eith ou as in grow
thoughtful with long o as in port
ploughman with au as in now
through with long u as in too
scarborough as in borrow
slough with au as in now - it should'nt be as in buff, I checked my dictionary. With that pronunciation, it has a completely different meaning
cough with af as in enough (e.g. an animal shedding its skin)
hiccough - never heard this weird word before... I think it means "hiccup"

Lina Inverse said:
Ok, here's my version:
rough with ou as in grow or oh (rhyming with dough)
dough eith ou as in grow
thoughtful with long o as in port
ploughman with au as in now
through with long u as in too
scarborough as in borrow
slough with au as in now - it should'nt be as in buff, I checked my dictionary. With that pronunciation, it has a completely different meaning
cough with af as in enough (e.g. an animal shedding its skin)
hiccough - never heard this weird word before... I think it means "hiccup"
Hiccough is the correct way of spelling hiccup or an alternative way. You will usually find older people in England spelling hiccough this way

This thread has been viewed 9311 times.

Back