What do you know about Poland?

oh there was sth like that..... yes you must be right
i don't like this period in polish history, so i think thats why i didn't remember this thing about flag...

i have been checked the website about Warsaw Uprising... i also watched the Pianist... It was very a hard time... I could not imagine how coull we live such condition.. live with terror everywhere.. BTW it is over... i hope.. i will never happen again

you should read "Diaries" by Tadeusz Borowski or "Diaries from Warsaw Uprising" by Miron Bialoszewski - there's everything about ww2 - how Poles live there, how strange was world then and how this everything changed people
it's a lot a lot better than Pianist, these books are not hiding anything, there's no idealizing, they're worth reading

i dont exactly know how to spell it but bigosz is a great dish!

for all the people who dont know it: its kind of like a stew: sauerkraut with tomato (so its red and very tomato-y (no ketchup though (YUCK!)) with plums, raisins and a lot of meat. it is cooked very long so it has a very special taste. hm

sound kind of gross but tastes SO GREAT!

other stuff i like is (please excuse my spelling. even though im half polish i dont speak it (what a shame!))

- kamicky (candy, peanut covered with some kind of stuff. hm)
- pierogy (giant ravioly)

hmmm

i got to learn at least some polish though, since i can practice it at home with my mom (shes polish)

You mean bigos. But with raisins? Wow. Old style bigos has a few different kinds of cabbage and meat mixed in. Sometimes add red wine, or beer.

kamyczki-it means 'stones'.
pierogi

Last edited:
well the tomato is what makes it red and hearty in my opinion. it's a great meal though when its cold outside!

one more thing i like but can't spell: barscz (cz sz complicated spelling! barschtsch :)

Shas said:
one more thing i like but can't spell: barscz (cz sz complicated spelling! barschtsch :)
Perhaps you mean Borschtsch (German spelling, kind of soup), but AFAIK that's of Russian or Ukrainian origin, not Polish.

Yesterday there was an article in the German newspaper FAZ, which said that anti-German resentment is on the rise in Poland. Polish nationalists are said to claim that Germany wanted to rewrite history regarding WWII. Allegedly, history textbooks were to be changed in a way that the start of WWII in Europe would be blamed on Poland. Do people really believe that? & if so, how many do?

Shas, anyway, I don't find it too delicious.

The soup spelling is barszcz. :) I don't care what origin it is. (most Polish probably too). The first recipe for barszcz in Poland dates to XVI century. It's like with tempura in Japan. It's Japanese dish, even if the origins were Portugal.

Bossel, there is some guilt on the German's side. Lately, Germans made a game about IIWW where it was clearly said that Poland attacked Germany and started the war. And it went to the world as far as I know, that game I mean. (There was such a big fuss over it that even person who doesn't watch TV/read newspapers like me, knows about this. But it lasted for a couple of days, I'm not sure anybody - besides nationalists - remembers about it now.)

I'm not defending the nationalists. I don't know whether scholars wanted to change the textbooks or not. Nationalists' word means nothing to me.

I wouldn't say that there is a rise of anti-German resentment. Of course, there is some, but there are old people who lived during the war, and they do not love Germans at all, there are some people who fear that Germans will take away their homes. Sadly there are some politicians who stir up the people, and make a big affar about every little thing that is said in Germany no matter how marginal the person/group might be.

So yes, there are some people who do believe it. But there are many more people who doesn't believe/care about it at all.

Thanks for the info.

Kama said:
Bossel, there is some guilt on the German's side. Lately, Germans made a game about IIWW where it was clearly said that Poland attacked Germany and started the war. And it went to the world as far as I know, that game I mean.
Can't say I ever heard of that particular game. It's most probably not a commercial one, since it would be forbidden to distribute it in Germany (elements of offence being Volksverhetzung ~ incitement of the people).

But I don't doubt that it would be possible for a game like that to be created in Germany. There are still enough neo-nazi freaks here who would program such a game. IIRC some of those idiots created a shooter some years ago, where you had to shoot as many Turks as you could. Was (& would be) illegal, though.

Kama said:
Who drank ZUBROWKA? It's a vodka with grass. Once, i found there was a Japanese band calle like that. :p

I once had a bottle of something like that with me to a music festival. It had a twig in it. From a spruce, I think. I got it from my sister, and I don't remember from where exactly it was. I'm pretty sure it was either polish, slovakian or czech. I think the bottle said something about it having the taste from the fruits of the forrest, and if you drink this you will die a pleasant death. Ok, maybe not - but it was strong enough and tasted a bit unusual but still pretty good I guess (the glasses that still tasted anything that is). Got me through the cold first night.

:)

I'm sorry to say I don't know much about Poland, even though we're neighbours. Not more than the little I remember from swedish history (we had a lot of dealings in the 16th-17th century IIRC), aswell as common knowledge about WWII. But I have long thought about doing a trip by car through germany, poland, czech and slovakia, and back, and say hello. Just need the time and some cash to spare.

:wave:

4 years after the last post in this thread, can you say you know more about Poland?

I dont know how to be diplomatic on the subject but ..... I find that the majority of Poles one meets in western Europe do not represent the wonderful Poles one meets in Poland.
Ive been to - and through - Poland many times and the people always amaze me how friendly, intelligent and hospitable they are. Those I meet in the west however ....... But Im sure theres a good explanation for it.

Well, fist post here, so this one is as good as any other thread to answer =)
What is known about Poland? Good question. About the history I know Poland in combination with Lithuania has been a major power in the east in former times. Together with the holy roman empire they formed an alliance to beat back the turks. The Poles did a very good job at the siege of Vienna, where they took command of a polish/german army and beat back the turks.
Earlier the Polish King asked the teutonic knights to drive the Prussian people from the lands at the baltic coast, which got them in trouble later on, when the polish nobility was so busy with fighting itself and conspiring with foreign powers that Russia, Prussia and Austria occupied Poland and made it parts of their countries. It should not be forgotten that Poland-Lithuania managed to beat the teutonic knights at the battle of Tannenberg some time before, however.

With this a once proud and very brave Nation nation sized to exist for around 200 years. When it reemerged after WW1 it directly started a war with Russia and occupied parts of the Ukraine and Belarussia, which were incorporated into polish territoriy. They also took part in the occupation of Czechoslovakia after Munich 38. In these years polish foreign politics was kinda agressive. Nevertheless it was Germany that attacked Poland out of the blue and caused the most destructive time in polish history (up until 41 joined by the russians who did pretty much the same in their zone). In the later war years it got even worse, then by Germany only. The Warsaw uprising needs a special mention here. When then after the war the Russians came they liquidiated the few isolated remnants that managed to survive the german onslaught.

I think what happend in the cold war is widely known by now. It should be recognized that it was mainly the Poles reponsible for the end of the cold war, the first Nation that really managed to get rid of communism and influental in similiar movements in east europe, including eastern Germany. I do not think Poland has recieved the propper credits fo this yet.
Today I consider the Poles with mixed feelings. On the one hand Poland is vastly underrated, it managed to get back on it's feet several times in history, despite beeing completly shattered. This tells me the Poles are a brave and determined people fighting for their independence and the Poland-Lithuania time period shows it also the has the capabilities to become a major power. Poland also produced quite some famous ppl, scientists, polititans, poets.

On the other hand Poland appears to be broken at times. Many slash out at everything not supporting Poland. I remember that Poles especially blamed Germany for rewriting history, which can't be more away from the truth. Atm Germany is trying to come to terms with it's history. But it appears Poles do not want germans to mourn their own dead for the odd reasoning by doing so we automaticly forget what we did to others, which is a strange way of thinking. This caused some friction as expecially younger germans didn't kill anybody and have zero urges to do so. So it appears Poland has grown kinda paranoid (then again, given the polish history, that is no wonder, and we need to take the responsebility for that). Nevertheless, even those that have a very positive attitude to Poland feel irritated by this behaviour. I can't remember how often I was attacked by Poles in discussions without any other reason then beeing german and not showing complete subjugation to their blames.

I think Poland has a place amongst the great powers of Europe, one level with France, the UK and Germany. That, however, will only happen if Poland manages to free itself from the past and look into the future. I know this is dangrous to say coming from a german, but I am trying to be objective here. At the moment Poland reminds me a bit of the inter war years, very agressive in foreign politics, not interested in solutions that serve all countries in Europe but only their own. The kind of politics that brought war to Europe for centuries. Given often Poland was betrayed and treated in the worst ways in her history, I can understand these guys now do not trust anybody anymore. But without trust there won't be a future.

Poland is a terrific country. I have found most Poles to be very friendly, decent people.

when I think about Poland I remember the stories of the holocaust... I think I have Polish roots in me...

I've been to Poland a couple of times. Our Scout district has been exchanging camps for several years now with a district by Krasnystaw. I have been to Cracow and Warsaw and visited the camps at Auschwitz. Climbed the Tatra mountains and swam in the Baltic. I can remember a lot on the news when Poland fianlly became a democratic country. The only problem I have with Polish is how to pronounce the language. I know a few words, especially how to order Piwo. I also got my taste for Vodka from my visits to Poland. I know that the Polish regard their vodka superior to Russian vodka. I like Bison vodka. I like the country. A lot of churches and some pipe their sunday services outside. Is this enough for general info? I could name names, but I have problems spelling Polish names, except Chopin. Great composer.
:wave:

Winston Churchill once said about the Polish 'There a few virtues that the Poles do not possess and few mistakes that they ever avoided' :D

I was in Poland too, I saw the same places that you. I was in Krakow exactly I saw the old town, Wieliczka Salt Mine and what more important I visited the Auschwitz Museum (I think the terrible place in the world). In future I want go to the Warsaw to Museum of the Warsaw Uprising (I heard it's very different museum with movies and some 3D special effects) Maybe someone of that was there? Can you tell me what is the best way to go there? I mean: airport transfer, accommodation, pick up to and from hotel, some tour services? Last year I used the Krakowdirect, maybe You know like website?

thanks in advance

I was in Poland too, I saw the same places that you. I was in Krakow exactly I saw the old town, Wieliczka Salt Mine and what more important I visited the Auschwitz Museum (I think the terrible place in the world). In future I want go to the Warsaw to Museum of the Warsaw Uprising (I heard it's very different museum with movies and some 3D special effects) Maybe someone of that was there? Can you tell me what is the best way to go there? I mean: airport transfer, accommodation, pick up to and from hotel, some tour services?
thanks in advance

ps. in last year I used Krakowdirect, I am looking for exactly the same website in Warsaw

I'm curious what do people know about Poland. Like facts/history/politics/famous places/famous people/customs etc.

Yes, it was partly Maciamo's post that inspired me to write this, but also some people on the other forum.

Sometiems I have a feeling that Japanese know more about Poland than Europeans. :D
We know a lot about Poland since Poland is part of Europe. Almost everyone knows Maria Curie, Shopen, Pope John and a lot of jokes about Poland. Myself I know many Polish ladies I met in New York. I wish somebody pay for me so I can visit the country since I am short of money

when I think about Poland I remember the stories of the holocaust... I think I have Polish roots in me...

Ancestors of nearly all Ashkenazi Jews at one point in time or another lived in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (Russia, Prussia/Germany and Austria acquired vast majority their Jewish populations only as the result of partitioning Poland-Lithuania).

Documentary on Jews from Żabno (near Tarnów) featuring Shoah survivors describing their pre-war life and WW2 experiences:
(English subtitles):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2hCH5ANJBE

From this documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2hCH5ANJBE#t=333

"My brother Jolek was a real genius. He studied at the Technical University in Lvov. This was at Mrs Goldman's shop - the Germans came and took 7 people: Ignacy's brother-in-law, Roza's husband and Meszygene Duvett and a few more. Then they went to Jolek. Jolek spoke excellent German. They asked him what he did. He answered: "I'm a student." They asked him where he studied. He told them: "At the Technical University." They said: "You're studying at the polytechnic in Lemberg and still expect to live!?" They came right out with it. We didn't know that. They took him to Dabrowa forest. Him and all the others. Who could imagine they could take strong, young people and shoot them? How do we know he was killed? Because one of them escaped. He came back and told us. They didn't just kill them. I can't even speak about it... They didn't just shoot them, they tortured them. His hands were white. So they broke his hands. They broke his hands. And then they shot him. How can you forget it? (...) The worst thing is we know we're now the last generation of witnesses. (...)"

And another fragment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2hCH5ANJBE#t=768

"(...) They occupied the whole market square and gathered everybody there. What did I see? I saw women wearing just shirts, children, almost naked. The Germans drove them into the market square with their bayonets. I remember one of them hit my Mom in the back with his rifle butt. It caught me, too. Since then I've been blind in one eye. My friend's cousin was in the market square. She held a child in her arms. A baby. The baby was crying, it must have been hungry. The soldier guarding us went over to her. He said something. I saw him approaching. And he suddenly hit the baby in the head with the rifle butt. Blood spurted up. The poor mother didn't know what to do with the baby. The baby was dead. She was holding it. Then she collapsed, holding the baby. You cannot imagine all the crying and screaming. They loaded all those people on trucks and brought them back to the railway station. From that moment everyone thought about escaping from the town. (...)"

=====================================

Lecture "The Whole Jewish History in One Hour" by David Solomon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUlM2a2tsOM#t=3350

=====================================

Today Jews are once again, just like they were doing centuries ago, fleeing from the West to Poland:
(Tsarfat = Jewish name of France):

https://www.facebook.com/yiddele.memory/posts/1189154941109949?pnref=story

Yiddele Memory wrote: Visiting my first apartments in Warsaw (considering leaving antisemite Tsarfat)

Severyn Ashkenazy, Holocaust survivor from Tarnopol, claims: "Poland is the safest place in Europe for Jews today" (23.09.2014):

I survived the Holocaust in a sub-cellar in Tarnopol (Ternopil), a city now located in western Ukraine that once had a thriving Jewish as well as Polish population.

Before coming to the U.S., I grew up after the war in France when philo-Semites like Albert Camus, Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir, as well as Pierre Mendès France, the country’s second Jewish prime minister, were luminaries.

Jewish origins have been an important part of that nation’s genius from Montaigne to composers as different as Giacomo Meyerbeer and Jacques Offenbach; to painter Camille Pissarro; to the inventor of sociology Emile Durkheim; to the writer Marcel Proust; to the philosopher Henri Bergson; to the actor Sarah Bernhardt; to the movie superstar Jean-Pierre Aumont; to the groundbreaking writer Georges Perec; to the multitalented Serge Gainsbourg … to mention only a few.

Today I am under the impression that France has forgotten about its Jewish cultural roots. The televised events from the streets of Paris and Marseilles fill me with sadness and consternation.

In the middle of July 2014, thousands of Muslims, along with anti-Semitic French Catholic demonstrators, walked through the center of Paris shouting “death to the Jews”. They burned cars, vandalized Jewish stores and, as reported by the press, a number of them, armed with knives, threw stones and bottles at the Isaac Abravanel Synagogue not far from the Bastille.

I read that the polls indicate that as many as 40 percent of French Jews hide Jewish symbols. It is not surprising, as so many incidents of anti-Semitism happen daily in France.

It is not better in other parts of Western Europe. A bomb was planted in the new synagogue in Wuppertal, Germany; swastikas were painted on stores in the Jewish quarter of Rome; Israeli soccer players were attacked in Austria. These are but a few examples of the daily realities faced by European Jews.

It is not just a one-time eruption of anti-Semitism by Muslim immigrants caused by the actions of Israel in the Gaza Strip. The hatred of Jews in Western Europe has been growing for many years. More and more, it is expressed by elites and the educated middle class. (...)

This thread has been viewed 51365 times.

Back