Who invented what ?

Maciamo,
How does a new thread get to the top of the list? I just posted one but it is lost in the boonies....
Shouldn't the last contributed thread get to the top of the list?
By the way, congrats on this site... very good and a lot of great info. You probably spend most of your time on it.

@bertrand
For some reason the section 'History&Civilisations' is sorted by thread-rating and not by thread start time. You can change this below in 'Thread Display Options'.
But me aswell would be glad if this could generally be changed to thread start time from the beginning.

Fixed that for you. No need to thank me.:grin:
I'm afraid modern inventions come from lands other than Scotland or China.

In 2003 patents issued simultaneously in the USA, Japan and Europe gave:

USA - 37pc
Japan - 26pc
Germany - 14pc
France - 5pc
UK - 4pc
Others - 14pc

I'm afraid modern inventions come from lands other than Scotland or China.

In 2003 patents issued simultaneously in the USA, Japan and Europe gave:

USA - 37pc
Japan - 26pc
Germany - 14pc
France - 5pc
UK - 4pc
Others - 14pc

Sorry, but these figures don't say anything about the quality, only about the quantity.

For instance this British patent for a dog carrier.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/djj_pictures/4178848145

Inventions

A few British inventions to add to the list are the vending machine, caterpillar tracks, the artifical hand, the heavier than air flying machine and golf.
One false discovery attribution seems to be Edward Jenner's smallpox innoculation. He was preceeded in the endeavour by Benjamin Jesty of Dorset (whose work was later acknowledged by some award), by the Welsh doctor Wright, by the American Cotton Mather, by attempts at perfecting the method in Germany, Denmark, Holland, Italy and France, plus, naturally, the Chinese, who were already trying this method of averting smallpox in the millenum BEFORE the last.
Jesty and Wright had also both commented that it was well known by country people that if cowpox could be induced in an individual that person would generally become immune to smallpox. Jenner just seems to have picked up the ball and run with it.
You can say that inventions come along in their proper time, but I find it interesting how some original ideas and unexpected inventions arose at precisely the same time in places far apart, whose inventors had proceeded upon their own lines of enquiry in isolation and were unaware of other investigations - the 'theory of evolution' from Alfred Russel Wallace and Charles Darwin is one, Walsharts and Heusinger steam locomotive valve gear is another, the theory of heredity is another.

Bundle of thanks for this sharing and information.That is really useful and let me tell you one thing that please stay in touch and keep sharing because i have remembered this information here and want to know more.

Well, you'd better say the English could and did "nick" more than any other people on Earth. :LOL:
BTW, there is no British people. There are English, Welshmen and Scots.
The Irish aren't even British at all!
If anyone in Great Britain 'nicked' inventions it was the Scots. The English were the ones that gave away inventions like STDs at the end of the world.

This thread has been viewed 285466 times.

Back