If you want to learn another, NEW language, which & why?

What a fine suggestion ! Not the first time I've heard, but ...

Are you also suggesting that's how languages attract, talk, court, propose, wed, mate, and breed, and thus converge, merge, or spread, dutch baka ......

Last edited:
I always wanted to learn Navajo Indian language because I heard it was used as basis of the CodeTalker for the U.S. marine corps.

I have wanted to study some Philippine languages such as Ilocano, Cebuano, Bisayan, Bicolano, Pampangano, etc so I'd compare them with Tagalog.

I also wanted to study Dutch, Portuguese, and Arabic.

I am interested in Chinese because I am an ethnic Chinese.

I always wanted to try an African language like Swahili.

lexico said:
Are you also suggesting that's how languages attract, talk, court, propose, wed, mate, and breed, and thus converge, merge, or spread, dutch baka ......

... i dont understand this so good..... sorry lex

well when you want to learn a language, its easy to find somebody who you can talk with a lot, you can find friends, but with friends you wont talk that much... with a girlfriend you will talk a lott, and can learn easyer.

.... grrrrr...

... i think everybody know this already :souka:

I want to learn Italian, both because I'm going there in the summer (and I hate going to places that speak another language and can't speak any of it, it's ignorant and makes me feel bad), because it sounds beautiful to me and because I'm a Lacuna Coil fan and some of their songs are in Italian (since it's their native language)

im half polish and i cant speak polish and that's a shame! somebody told me that a russian would be able to understand polish because the languages are so close to each other? i dont know if i wanna learn polish (same alphabet (no cyryllic stuff), my 'native' language) or russian (many people talk it)

i can practice both by talking to my mum because she talks both so what do you recommend?

What a lovely state of indecision !

Shas said:
im half polish and i cant speak polish and that's a shame! somebody told me that a russian would be able to understand polish because the languages are so close to each other? i dont know if i wanna learn polish (same alphabet (no cyryllic stuff), my 'native' language) or russian (many people talk it)

i can practice both by talking to my mum because she talks both so what do you recommend?
How wonderful it is to have a Polish mother who also speaks the language ! Who also speaks another Slavic language !
Instinctively I would say go with your mother's mother tongue. Another thought would be to ask which language she loves best; in that language that your mother loves, everything would come alive for you. Whther the alphabet is Roman or Cyrillic really isn't a big issue. Within days, you should be able to get used to even Cyrillic, and using the Roman alphabet doesn't make it any easier with the new Polish sounds in my opinion. Yet another thought is your idea of blood-obligation. It sounds like your Polish heritage is something that you value, and is something that you are proud of in a good way.

To keep it short (already too wordy, I know) just talk to your mother, and get her opinion since she's the one to guide you, feed you all those lovely words that will help your language part of the brain grow. :)

dutch baka said:
hehe, date with an irish girl i would say sensuikan san....

Have you seen Irish (Or English, American, German, French ... even Dutch...)"girls" of my age "Dutch Baka" ?

You Bad !

(That'll get a response from the ladies .... !)

Regards,

?W????

dutch baka said:
... i dont understand this so good..... sorry lex

well when you want to learn a language, its easy to find somebody who you can talk with a lot, you can find friends, but with friends you wont talk that much... with a girlfriend you will talk a lott, and can learn easyer.

.... grrrrr...

... i think everybody know this already :souka:
I was just kidding you because that was one idea that a lot, I mean a lot of people were saying. I never had trouble understanding it, so don't worry; I wasn't too serious, just pulling your leg as you were pulling Sensuikan-san's.

At the same time, anthropologists would talk about daughters in tribal societies being exchanged to maintain social bonds, so I was also making a little fun of that sexist idea. If that theory has any historical substance, inter-clan, inter-tribal marriages may well have contributed to the development of cultures & societies (example: knowledge of fire, agriculture, cooking, medicinal herbs, folk-lore, & even translation ?) in prehistorical & historical times.

Another idea that I was entertaining was the analogy of languages and species. Langauges in history evolve, split, and become two different languages after separation. So does species. The only difference is that langauges can borrow words, sound habits, grammatical habits from a neighboring or domineering language. That seldom happens in a species.

Also some living things have sexuality, increasing in number of individuals by sexually reproducing. What can be found in languages that parallels sexuality ? Therefore I posed a riddle to think about "langauges having a sexual relationship." Funny idea, I admit. There are so many interesting things about languages that I don't know, and this little truism in langauge learning of yours gave me something to think about. For the interesting idea, a :balloon: for you.

Last edited:
phantasmagoria said:
I want to learn Italian, both because I'm going there in the summer (and I hate going to places that speak another language and can't speak any of it, it's ignorant and makes me feel bad), because it sounds beautiful to me and because I'm a Lacuna Coil fan and some of their songs are in Italian (since it's their native language)
How about learning your native Scots Gaelic? There are various plans to try to revive it the way Welsh has in Wales.

Mycernius said:
How about learning your native Scots Gaelic? There are various plans to try to revive it the way Welsh has in Wales.

That surprises me - although I've been out of the UK for many years, I always thought that the Gaelic was "alive and well" - particularly in the Western Isles.

I even have a personal friend, here in Canada, (...hailing from the Hebrides) who's first language is Gaelic... !

Regards,

?W????

I would like to choose Korean, cause:
1. I have two Korean friends, learning a little Korean would be interesting
2. China, Korea, Japan, are in the same cultural circle so I'd like to know more about the other two countries.

Tounges. I've forgotten it. J/K. Chinese. Global economic takeover estimated within 20 years.

lexico said:
I want to learn Chukchi so I can talk about salmon with the Chukchas. :clap:

what does Chukchi look like? Is it a friend you have....:D :D

I would take German, because I (maybe it's just me) find that it sounds similar to Cantonese, which is my mother tongue.

And I am already learning French and Japanese.

This thread has been viewed 27832 times.

Back