Greatest Dutch contributions to the world ?

What is/are the Netherlands' greatest contribution(s) to the world?

• The microscope and the telescope

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • The mercury thermometer

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • The pendulum clock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The colony of New Amsterdam (which later became New York)

• Paintings (Rembrandt, Vermeer, Van Gogh, Mondriaan...)

• Gouda cheese

• Heineken

• Liberal laws (about cannabis, abortion, gay marriage, euthanasia...)

• Electronic media (audio tape, video tape, CD, CD-ROM)

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters
You know, I actaully had the smallest glimmer of hope that we could have had a dialogue here that did not devolve into the usual.

I guess that it is my fault for dreaming.

Just stop your spamming. This BS from you doesn't contribute anything.
All I said is people from abroad have a wrong view on The Netherlands.

I know Americans don't do a gunfight in cowboy style anymore..
But Americans still keep talking about free cannabis and such nonsense.

I repeat... Amsterdam is NOT The Netherlands.
In Amsterdam some things are tolerated, just because tourism brings profit.
But the rest of the country isn't like that.

Drug trafficking is mainly a problem because of the transito transport.
Tons and tons of goods pass through the Dutch harbor of Rotterdam, the roads and air. It's estimated that only 10% of the weapon shipments are checked by the authorities.

The Netherlands are the gateway to Europe, but don't blame us we can't check everything that passes. :innocent:

van Meegeren, who cocked a snook at the stuffy world of art and showed that Vermeer wasn't the only one who could paint a Vermeer - but had to demonstrate it to the experts of the day before they would believe his claim.
I have an especial affinity for snook cockers.

van Meegeren, who cocked a snook at the stuffy world of art and showed that Vermeer wasn't the only one who could paint a Vermeer - but had to demonstrate it to the experts of the day before they would believe his claim.
I have an especial affinity for snook cockers.

+1 on van Meegeren. He was not an especially creative artist, but was extremely talented at copying the style of others. His life story is always a fun one to tell.

Of course, after his death, fake van Meegeren paintings have popped up... fakes of fakes, you could say.

Liberal laws (first country to legalize same-sex marriage and to tolerate cannabis use etc)
CD, CD-ROM, audio tape, video tape etc
Paintings (from van Eyck, van der Weyden, Pieter Bruegel the Elder and Hieronymus Bosch through Rembrandt van Rijk, Johannes Vermeer and Frans Hals to Piet Mondria(a)n and Vincent van Gogh).

Also great philosophers like Desiderius Erasmus and Baruch Spinoza.

About same sex marriages, I am not very keen on that. There were already methods to make a "living together contract". The scene made it even further into a total recognition of official state marriage of the same sex, what is ridiculous in my eyes.

What people have withe each other, is their own choice.
It's ridiculous that the state should make a ceremony of it.

Get marriages out of the town hall !!!

Why marry today anymore?
It's useless.

About same sex marriages, I am not very keen on that. There were already methods to make a "living together contract". The scene made it even further into a total recognition of official state marriage of the same sex, what is ridiculous in my eyes.

What people have withe each other, is their own choice.
It's ridiculous that the state should make a ceremony of it.

Get marriages out of the town hall !!!

Why marry today anymore?
It's useless.

I am proponent of free love concept and I think marriage shall be abolished, so that state has nothing to do with it, that it de jure doesn't exist at all. If they want to marry in church, they will, but there should be no registration or anything.

However, I am pretty sure that will never happen, so I think that as long as heterosexual couples enjoy right on marriage, LGBT couples shall not be discriminated in any way.

I don't really think you can credit anyone but the Americans for New York City.
Dutch are marvellously liberal thinking people though.

I don't really think you can credit anyone but the Americans for New York City.
Dutch are marvellously liberal thinking people though.

Hmm

Both wrong. I can't help it, but the Dutch were the founders of the city later named New York. Capitalism with stock markets and so on (Wall street is a translated Dutch name), is a protestant Dutch invention.
And the problem is in fact, that the system is bad.
People can get rich with selling hot air.

The other misconception is that the Dutch would be a liberal thinking people. Well, that's absolute nonsense.
The majority of the Dutch are conservative, and rather socially stupid.
They vote for right wing parties, that cost them a fortune in their wallets, but they never learn.

I am from the south, and we are working our backs off to finance the rest of our kingdom.
That's why I am thinking that in a couple of months we will have some clashes in politics.

@Rastko

John Locke, René Descartes, Gabriel Fahrenheit, Baruch Spinoza... not enough?

None of them are Dutch from origin. And also not Catholic.

I have to complain my friend Stella didn't make the list, she's Dutch and she's great...

As a whole, I'll say Dutch-Flemish painting is part of the European canon of arts. Banking in its modern form has its roots in Netherlands too, not to be too proud of, but it definitely shaped life as we live it today.

I have to complain my friend Stella didn't make the list, she's Dutch and she's great...

As a whole, I'll say Dutch-Flemish painting is part of the European canon of arts. Banking in its modern form has its roots in Netherlands too, not to be too proud of, but it definitely shaped life as we live it today.

Stella Artois is Belgian beer.

And the modern banking system and especially speculation is proven to be very bad.

article-1278969157259-0A67CA02000005DC-707537_636x363.jpg

Kung-Fu?:rolleyes:

Stella Artois is Belgian beer.

And the modern banking system and especially speculation is proven to be very bad.

Stella is actually a woman, a good friend of mine... Stella Artois, I don't know, I only drink beer :LOL:. As for the banking system, you have a point, but it is to finance what democracy is to politics, it's the best compromise we have found so far...

Greatest Dutch contributions to the world ?

Reinaert :)

i hear a lot of people saying Heineken sucks, but it is still the second biggest brewery in the world * as far as i know, if i am wrong tell me*

so it means, it doesnt sucks hahaha

The fact that it sells, doesn't mean it doesn't suck.
Many people in the world don't know how real beer really tastes.

I guess Heineken is a chemical waste product.

And to be honest, Heineken isn't even beer, it's pilsner. A kind of lager.

Better pilsners from the Netherlands are Grolsch and Bavaria.
Or even Dommelsch, the taste of that lager is a bit sharp.

I prefer Belgian and German beer though.

They taste much better than the Dutch variations.

Hey, I know about it. I brew beer myself, and even my brother works at a beer brewery.
Their beer is still questionable.
(Not the brands I mentioned)

Well... Here is another case not to be proud of..

gouden-koets.jpg

The Queen reads the State of the Union, after she arrived at the Parliament in a Golden Coach.
It is depicting the honoring towards her from the colonies on one side. In fact, it is seen as a symbol of slavery by the Royal Family and the Dutch Government in the past.
On the other side the honoring of the Dutch is depicted. The people who also suffered under the colonialist and conservative Orange regime.

Nearly a year ago, a protesting man threw a candle towards that "Golden Coach" and was arrested and is still in prison after a year!!!

So.. A question.. Do you think this painting is racist or not?

No, I dont think it is racist. I think such drawings were pretty common when people of conquered countries greeted their conqueror with presents, including slaves.
At least I have such impression from ancient art. Some art experts here might correct me.

Thanks the laugh... "little parasites". . . ;) I am surprised you can't hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth all the way from Chicago! They're such babies.

I have added a new poll as the old one got deleted during the move from vBulletin to Xenforo.

This thread has been viewed 192822 times.

Back