Greatest French contributions to the world ?

What is/are France's greatest contribution(s) to the world?

• French cuisine

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • French wines

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Cheeses (1000+ varieties, e.g. Comté, Brie, Camembert, Roquefort, Boursin...)

• The hot air balloon, the airship & the parachute (all French inventions)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scientists (Lavoisier, Pasteur, Becquerel...)

• Philosophy (Descartes,Voltaire, Rousseau, Camus, Sartre...)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • French literature (Hugo, Dumas, Verne, Balzac, Flaubert, Zola, Proust...)

• Painting (Renoir, Cezanne, Gauguin, Monet...)

• Photography (invented by N. Niepce)

• French Cinema (including invention of the cinema)

• Classical music (Bizet, Debussy, Rameau, Saint-Saens...)

• Modern music (Aznavour, Piaf, Vartan, Hallyday, Gainsbourg, Goldman...)

• Constitutional separation of State and Religion

• The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

• The metric system

• Modern Olympic Games (initiated by Pierre de Coubertin)

• French fashion, perfumes & cosmetics (Hermès, Chanel, Dior, Chloé, Guerlain, Lancôme, YSL...)

• French cars (Renault, Peugeot, Citroën, Bugatti...)

• The TGV (high-speed train)

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters
Out of the list, I'd have to choose my three personal favourites, wine, French painting, and photography! :cool:

I love the language, croissants, and yes, the baguette! Continental breakfast is the best! :relief:

they did a hell of a job with cheese, so it was chosen by me. cheese, is, good.

I don't know how I forgot this : the metric system (meter, gramme, second, Celsius temperature scale, etc.). It is the most widely used measure system in the world, which only the USA seem to resist (except for hours, minutes and seconds), and can really qualify as THE international measure system. It is the one also used by scientists, even in the USA.

The metric system was developed in France in the 18th century, but savants such as Lavoisier, but didn't become official until the French Revolution (in 1791, to be precise). France and the Benelux were the first regions to adopt it. It had spread to the rest of Europe (except Britain and Ireland) and Latin America by the late 19th century, then spread to the USSR, China and North Africa in the early 20th century, and the rest of Asia and most of Africa by the mid-20th century. Canada, Australia, South Africa and the UK only adopted it in the late 20th century. Nowadays, apart from the USA, only Myanmar and Liberia haven't adopted it yet.

I voted for cinematography, I have always loved the cinema and the technology behind it.

I also love photography...

The other science technologies the French invented are also of great importance today...

Other than that I love French wine and selected French cheese. Besides cheddar and Parmesan I only eat French or Swiss cheese anyway.:blush:

I am also a fan of French fashion, but I used to wear Italian fashion when I was a teen and througout my early 20s. What can I say I was a Benetton fan.

What errant nonsense !
I am truly outraged at both of you ... !
There has always been only one center for men's fashion; one true shrine dedicated to the dressing of the male form in a sophisticated manner, one real source of grace for all men with taste and class :
SAVILLE ROW, LONDON, ENGLAND !
... and I speak to you as an Englishman (.... who generally slops around ... in a leather jacket ... old "dockers" ..... and burnt out cowboy boots - but ... I did have my moments...!!)
(Sniff!) Regards,
?W????

Let me disagree. I think English fashion is not very suitable for East Asian men; it is ok for Indian men I think.

I would think Italian fashion is the most suitable for East Asian men because Italians are shorter and darker.:blush:

hi, :cool:

I am also a fan of French fashion, but I used to wear Italian fashion when I was a teen and througout my early 20s. What can I say I was a Benetton fan.

:relief:

Asterix, Obelix and Prefix.

1. Universal Declaration of Human Rights
2. Constitutional separation of State and Religion
3. Philosophy
4. Photography
5. Painting

Claret, Berlioz, Proust and Boxe Francaise-Savate.

You forgot:
-Modern chemistry (Lavoisier)
-Modern medecine (Pasteur)
-Paid leave
-Music festival (21 june)

...and Daft Punk for the Modern music...:music2:

Definitely NOT modern music or cars. The French have a reputation for really bad music, at least in the Anglo-sphere.
I think their best contribution to the world would be either the city of Paris or denim.

The French have a reputation for really bad music, at least in the Anglo-sphere
This isn't a good idea to associate the word "reputation" with the word "Anglo"...:rolleyes:
You can also make your own opinion:

-Françoise Hardy "Mon amie la rose"...

-Charles Aznavour "Emmenez moi"...

-Serge Gainsbourg "Je suis venu te dire"...

-Renaud "Mistral gagnant"...

I have to agree with Brett about French music. I don't know why but I can't stand most chansons françaises despite being a native speaker of French. It just gets on my nerves... There are a few exceptions. For example, I don't mind Charles Aznavour (just for the record, he is Armenian, not French).

France is a great country for many things (food, wine, arts, architecture, fashion, natural parks, etc.) but personally I would never list French music as one of the best things about France.

You forgot:
-Modern chemistry (Lavoisier)
-Modern medecine (Pasteur)

I added them to the list.

-Paid leave

Most labour laws first appeared in the UK (e.g. minimum wage, limit of working time, regulation of child labour) or Germany (e.g. retirement benefits), not in France. The French didn't invented the paid leave either. In fact, France only adopted the first congés payés in 1936, many years after Germany, Poland, Norway or even Brazil and Chile.

-Music festival (21 june)

That's one festival of of thousands around the world. I am not aware that France had a pioneering role in the matter.

Most labour laws first appeared in the UK (e.g. minimum wage, limit of working time, regulation of child labour) or Germany (e.g. retirement benefits), not in France.
I know that "labour laws" wasn't french...

The French didn't invented the paid leave either. In fact, France only adopted the first congés payés in 1936, many years after Germany, Poland, Norway or even Brazil and Chile.
Yes, I just read it recently...

That's one festival of of thousands around the world. I am not aware that France had a pioneering role in the matter.
I spoke about "la fête de la musique", the first day of the summer. But it is not important...

the champagne coupe?

This thread has been viewed 195352 times.

Back