Greatest Italian contributions to the world ?

What is/are Italy's greatest contribution(s) to the world ?

• Navigators (Marco Polo, C. Columbus, A. Vespucci, G. Caboto, G. Verrazzano ...)

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Painting & scuplture (Brunelleschi, da Vinci, Michelangelo, Raffaello, Botticelli, Caravaggio...)

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Italian literature (Dante Alighieri, Petrarca, Machiavelli, Eco...)

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Italian food (pasta, pizza, risotto...)

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Italian cinema

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The mechanical clock

• The telephone (invented by A. Meucci, not A.G. Bell)

• Optical glasses

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • The thermometer & barometer

• Musical instruments (piano, violin, cello...)

• Classical music (Vivaldi, Albinoni, Puccini, Rossini, Verdi...)

• Modern music (Pavarotti, Morricone, Zucchero, Ramazzotti,...)

• Italian sport cars (Ferrari, Bugatti, Maserati, Lamborghini...)

• Italian fashion (Armani, Gucci, Prada, Versace...)

• Ice cream

• Carnival

• Tarot cards

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters
Nice thread

Well i could not figure it out which is probably the best Italy has given to world,before reading this post i have never noticed all these achievements from Italy.My knowledge is been restricted to Ferrari and pizza.nice to have this information.please post some more incredible facts from other European countries.

Is difficult to choose one or some as my favorite(s), so many and good contributions to mankind.

I will only add, that although many of the already mentioned painters and sculpturist were or worked as architects, Italian architecture by itself from the Romans to the Reinassece was also very important.

1898098977mmmtr7684.JPG

In the category of sports cars, is mentioned the Bugatti... although the designer and creator of the company was obviously an Italian, it could be also be claimed to be an German-French company... according to you point of view.

Today, Bugatti exists as part of the VW consortium... an produce the - as far as I know - fastest cars avalible today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-WdcolfYsg

... but I have to choose, I will prefer to have this classical beauty...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiPasJztST0

Some things never die?... :unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTDYQkbJ9jc

Music, visual arts and food are at the top of my list.

...but you included the telephone, glasses...etc in the original poll...where do they fit in with your statement?
Meucci only developed an acoustic telephone of short range while Gray and Bell developed proper electro-magnetic telephones.

I think we gave a lot of important things to the world...We are a creative, ingenious people under many aspects but...We give our best not in arts...Not in sculpture...Not in fashion...But in food, that in Italy is an art. =)

What about the Roman Alphabet?

I mean we are communicating with these characters thanks to ancient Italians are we not?

If the contributions are limited to the modern formation of Italy surely alot of the things on the list would have to go?
"The Latin alphabet, also called the Roman alphabet, is the most widely used alphabetic writing system in the world today. It evolved from the western variety of the Greek alphabet called the Cumaean alphabet, which was borrowed and modified by the Etruscans who ruled early Rome, whose alphabet was then adapted and further modified by the ancient Romans to write the Latin language.
During the Middle Ages, it was adapted to the Romance languages, the direct descendants of Latin, as well as to the Celtic, Germanic, Baltic, and some Slavic languages, and finally to most of the languages of Europe." source

I mean we are communicating with these characters thanks to ancient Italians are we not?

If the contributions are limited to the modern formation of Italy surely alot of the things on the list would have to go?
"The Latin alphabet, also called the Roman alphabet, is the most widely used alphabetic writing system in the world today. It evolved from the western variety of the Greek alphabet called the Cumaean alphabet, which was borrowed and modified by the Etruscans who ruled early Rome, whose alphabet was then adapted and further modified by the ancient Romans to write the Latin language.
During the Middle Ages, it was adapted to the Romance languages, the direct descendants of Latin, as well as to the Celtic, Germanic, Baltic, and some Slavic languages, and finally to most of the languages of Europe." source

Surely it is another great Italian contribution. I think we gave a lot of things to the world and we have to be proud of it.

Surely your nation did Riccardo, lot's to be proud of. (y)

I lived 15 months in Italy long time ago, Ostia by Roma, while emigrating from Poland 1987. Met many great people, some friends till today. I have a friend in Milano too.
Now I'm dreaming about a nice house by Mediterranean Sea. Small town, fresh sea food, great weather, people, food, history, architecture. Maybe one day....

I didn't list it because it's already in the poll for the greatest Roman contributions to the world. Besides, the population and culture of ancient Rome being so different from modern Italy I prefer to keep them separate.

shouldn't the italians only count inventions, arts etc etc ftom 1861 . I mean we do not say the Italian Empire, but Roman empire. In the renaissance period, the terminology was either genoese, lombards, venetians, neapolitans, papal states etc etc......but never italians ( unless used for a geografical expression ).

Even in the 1820 , from the Congress of Vienna, all the super powers of Europe said ( after 5 years of discourse) that there where no Italians.
Even in 1861, the first Italian government stated, "we now have an Italy, bt we have no Italians"

So, maybe Marconi should be an italian inventor, then again he did his inventions in London. hmm........is there anyone else who gave the world something special........please enlighten me:unsure:

Painting and sculpture, although this is not an Italian invention the residents of Italy did do a great job of bringing ancient Greek techniques to the attention of many by perfecting it themselves. Bravo!

shouldn't the italians only count inventions, arts etc etc ftom 1861 . I mean we do not say the Italian Empire, but Roman empire. In the renaissance period, the terminology was either genoese, lombards, venetians, neapolitans, papal states etc etc......but never italians ( unless used for a geografical expression ).

Even in the 1820 , from the Congress of Vienna, all the super powers of Europe said ( after 5 years of discourse) that there where no Italians.
Even in 1861, the first Italian government stated, "we now have an Italy, bt we have no Italians"

So, maybe Marconi should be an italian inventor, then again he did his inventions in London. hmm........is there anyone else who gave the world something special........please enlighten me:unsure:

Allessandro Volta?

Well, the Italians did and still do a lot of good things, but often the language is a problem.

I have seen translated theater pieces, that were originally from Dario Fo. A great writer.
And then there is ... Roberto Benigni

He's the modern Charlie Chaplin.

And is there many Italians who feel more Italian than Tuscan, Venetian, Sicilian or Sardinian nowadays ? Italians are the people who live in the Italian peninsula (+ islands). Not many Southerners have ever felt like they were alike to Northerners, or vice versa, today or 2000 years ago.

And is there many Italians who feel more Italian than Tuscan, Venetian, Sicilian or Sardinian nowadays ? Italians are the people who live in the Italian peninsula (+ islands). Not many Southerners have ever felt like they were alike to Northerners, or vice versa, today or 2000 years ago.

I do not know where you are going with this as I do not understand what you mean, but as an example ( i would like to know your thoughts)
The modern sundial was invented in 1000AD ( approx) by the Moors. Should this invention be classified Moorish or Spanish ?

I dislike intensly the system where people who are from one race are reclassified another race based on modern national borders. This system is flawed with problems.

Zanipolo

I do not know where you are going with this as I do not understand what you mean, but as an example ( i would like to know your thoughts)
The modern sundial was invented in 1000AD ( approx) by the Moors. Should this invention be classified Moorish or Spanish ?

I dislike intensly the system where people who are from one race are reclassified another race based on modern national borders. This system is flawed with problems.
Zanipolo... am I noticing some regional pride here?
Son veneto anca mi (originario di Vicenza)....
How would you classify an "Italian" inventor and/or contribiution before 1861?.

This thread has been viewed 439821 times.

Back