Do we have to phonetically convert each foreign word into our native language?

Zauriel

The Angel of Justice
Reaction score
Northeast Greenhills, San Juan, Manila, Philippine
Ethnic group
Chinese
English= "computer"
Tagalog= "kompyuter"
Arabic= "kombyuter" (Arabic phonetic alphabet doesn't have the sound "P")
Japanese= "konpyuta" (Japanese phonetics dictate that "M" can't come before "P")

Arabic also converted the word "piano" to "biano".

English=television
Tagalog= telebisyon (Tagalog phonetics do not include "SH", "V" and "F"
Arabic= telefizion (Arabic phonology doesn't use the sound "V" so Arabic converted the word "television" to "telefizion".)
Japanese= terebi ("L" isn't a Japanese phonetic sound)

Furthermore, "si" isn't a Japanese phonetic sound, so it would be "shi".

For example, flower of Nadesico means Nadeshiko.

Tagalog phonetics doesn't include "sh", "th", "ch", "v", "f", "j", "z", "c", and "x" so we had to convert the words to fit our phonetics.

English: Tagalog
Chocolate: Tsokolate (ch is converted to ts.)
Manager: Manadyer (the sound of "j" is converted to "dy" or "h")
Janitor: Dyanitor
General: Heneral
Filipino: Pilipino (f is equivalent to "p")
Television: telebisyon ("V" is "B" and "Z" is "s")
Driver: drayber

Tagalog has also incorporated Spanish words into its language due to 300 years of Spanish occupation.

Spanish: Tagalog: English
Coche: Kotse: car
zapatos: sapatos: shoes
chismes: tsismis: gossip
chinelas: tsinelas: slippers
reloj: relos: watch
jabon: sabon: soap
silla: silya: chair
barrio: baryo: village

my country to use a lot of enlgish words,, computer is computer in dutch, same as lamp is a lamp, and bed is a bed....

lots of words are simualar,,, what is the reason of this? why does english have such a mayor influance,, and from when did it started?

btw what is Tagalog ( dont want to sound stupid,, just i dont know)

English has become such a major language for a couple of reasons. The first was the British Empire. At its height Great Britain was the world superpower of the 19th century. If any countries really wanted to do business with them they would use English. As the britsih Empire waned the next country to become dominant was the US, an English speaking country. Again to do business, everyone used English. The Britsih alson left a lot of countries with a unifing language. With India it has a lot of languages in the country. English was adopted so everyone could one language to communicate with other parts of the country that would usually speak a different language.
The language of commerce is English, once again due to the Empire and then to America. With the internet really taking off in the US the first web sites were in English to the point where 90% of the web is in English. US commercailism and the British Empire have made English into the force that it is now.
Another reason is that English is a very flexible language and will willing borrow other words from other language and turn them in English words. Unfortunately other languages suffer and some will virtually dissappear.

i notice in my country, english words are being used more and more.. dutch language is starting to get more english...

one way i think its good other way, im afraid the dutch language will disapair in maybe 50 years... they are thinking of letting young dutch children learn english when they are around 5 years old.. i think they shouldnt do this, because im afraid, and because its not nesacery,, dutch is ( for as far as i know) the worlds best non native GOOD english speaking country... ( i dont say it includes me...)

i like the english, more then dutch, but i wouldnt like my own language to disapair.. and im afraid that will happen in the years that coming up

dutch baka said:
my country to use a lot of enlgish words,, computer is computer in dutch, same as lamp is a lamp, and bed is a bed....

lots of words are simualar,,, what is the reason of this? why does english have such a mayor influance,, and from when did it started?

btw what is Tagalog ( dont want to sound stupid,, just i dont know)
Everything you need to know about Tagalog

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Philippines is a Southeast Asian country of some 7,100 islands and islets off the southeast coast of mainland China. It is populated by about 70 million Filipinos. It is said that there are as many as 300 languages and dialects in these islands which belong to the Malayo-Polynesian family of languages.

One of the factors that complicate the language situation in the Philippines is diversity. Linguists say there are 75 to 150 native languages spoken by Filipinos. The latest estimate is 109 languages, or 110 if Chavacano is included (McFarland 1994: 83). Although these languages are in some ways grammatically and lexically similar, they are mutually unintelligible. Furthermore, each of the major languages has several dialects that differ, especially at the phonological and lexical levels. Depending on their region of origin, Filipino immigrants will speak at least one dialect of one of these mutually unintelligible languages.

On the basis of a probable 75 mother tongues according to Weber (1989), six are classified as major languages (the percentages indicating the number of native speakers of each language): Tagalog (25%), Cebuano (24%), Ilocano (9%), Hiligaynon (9%), Bicol (6%), Waray (5%), and other (22%). Because of immigration, these major languages as well as Pampango and Pangasinan are represented in America.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tagalog, Pilipino, Filipino

Following the mandate of the 1935 Constitution, President Manuel Quezon proclaimed Tagalog as the basis of the national language in 1937. To free the Tagalog-based national language from its ethnic ties and therefore to facilitate its acceptance, Tagalog was renamed Pilipino in 1959. However, the 1973 Constitution rescinded the choice of Tagalog (Pilipino) as the basis of the national language (Gonzales, 1977). Pilipino was established as one of the two official languages of the Philippines under the 1973 Constitution -- the other being English. The 1987 Constitution stipulates that the National Assembly is to take steps toward the formation of a genuine national language to be called Filipino, which will incorporate elements from the various Philippine languages. Philippine language experts predict, especially after the 1987 Constitutional deliberations, that Pilipino will be renamed Filipino characterized by an openness to borrowings from the other Philippine languages as well as from English, Spanish, and other foreign languages (Gonzales 1991: 126).

The 1980 Philippine census indicated that close to 75 percent of Filipinos speak a variety of Pilipino, especially in the urban areas. Gonzales (1987: 212) estimates that by the end of the century, 97.1 percent of Filipinos will speak a colloquial or conversational form of Filipino.

Linguistic Features of the Language

Filipino (Tagalog) has been influenced, principally in vocabulary by the languages with which they have come into contact: Sanskrit, Arabic, Chinese, English, and Spanish.

Some of the grammatical features of the Philippine languages are the complex system of affixes, especially of verbal affixes,which denote a special relationship between the verb and a particular noun phrase in the sentence often referred to by Philippine linguists as "topic" or "subject." This relationship as actor, goal, or referent in the sentence is usually marked by an affix in the verb. There are other prominent feautres of the language such as; the use of markers in a sentence, the reduplication of a syllable in a word, and the use of particles between words and phrases.

Filipino in the United States

Filipino (Tagalog) is the national language of the Philippines and the cultural thread that keeps Filipinos all over the world in touch with their roots. To promote cross-cultural and transnational understanding and mutual appreciation, wide access to the Filipino language is essential.

Philippine history has strong links with the United States. The country was an American colony from 1900 - 1946. Cooperation between the Philippines and the United States had continued through World War II, in the post-Independence period, and well into the present global economy. In part, because of this strong ties, Filipinos comprise a significant minority in the United States.

Currently, there are about a million Filipinos in the US, and more are coming every year. This increase in the number of Filipinos (predicted to exceed the Chinese by the year 2000) is likely to have a greater impact on American politics and social concerns. This trend therefore requires educating Americans about the Philippines in general and, more specifically, providing our schools and community organizations with materials that help the Filipino-Americans to participate more easily and widely in the life of our nation.

According to the 1990 United States Census, Tagalog is the second most commonly-spoken Asian language in the United States, and the sixth non-English language spoken in America. Tagalog is the lingua franca of the Filipinos anywhere in the world. Most Southeast Asian scholars use Tagalog as the tool for research in the Philippines. It is the language of major works in literature and that of Philippine films and songs.

A growing number of American universities are regularly offering courses in Tagalog. The expansion of the field can be illustrated by the following facts: in the 1960s, only Hawaii and UCLA were offering regularly-listed courses in Tagalog. Today, Tagalog courses are offered every year at the University of California at Berkeley, UCLA, Cornell University, University of Michigan, University of Wisconsin (Madison), Loyola Marymount University, University of Pennsylvania, Northern Illinois University, University of Pittsburg, and San Francisco State University, all of which recently joined nationwide consortium to promote teaching Tagalog.

Filipino/Tagalog as a Heritage Language

It is of interest to note that after almost a hundred years in America, there are now second and third generations of Americans of Filipino ancestry whose command of Tagalog is limited but who desire to access Tagalog language instruction. More and more Philippine language classes are attended by Filipino Americans.

The emergence of Filipino-American students and their growing demands for historical, cultural, and linguistic knowledge that will enable them to reclaim their heritage and ultimately discover their identity have resulted in the increasing need nation-wide for more Filipino language and culture courses in various academic institutions. The university has become the main venue for the articulation of their demands. It plays a significant role in assisting the students to recover their parents' language and culture for psychological, social, and cultural empowerment

I do so hate the way the French pronounce Paris as "Paree".

Paris sounds so much more romantic ....

:giggle:

?W???? :sorry:

Sensuikan San said:
I do so hate the way the French pronounce Paris as "Paree".

Paris sounds so much more romantic ....

:giggle:

?W???? :sorry:
There are differences in the French spoken in Canada and the French spoken in France. There are even people in France that regard Canadian french as impure and rough and not real french.

dutch baka said:
i notice in my country, english words are being used more and more.. dutch language is starting to get more english...

one way i think its good other way, im afraid the dutch language will disapair in maybe 50 years... they are thinking of letting young dutch children learn english when they are around 5 years old.. i think they shouldnt do this, because im afraid, and because its not nesacery,, dutch is ( for as far as i know) the worlds best non native GOOD english speaking country... ( i dont say it includes me...)

i like the english, more then dutch, but i wouldnt like my own language to disapair.. and im afraid that will happen in the years that coming up

We start studying english when we are 5-6 years old here, and we still speak Swedish. So you don't have to worry. ^^

I noticed that French, Italians, Spanish, Japanese, Arabs and Filipinos have either incorporated the English word "Television" into their languages or converted the words to match their phonetics rather than making their own words.

But Germans did make their own word for television. And it is called "Fernsehen".

Yeah, we took the word "television" too.

I like the word "fernsehen", cause that is what you do. :)

Mycernius said:
There are differences in the French spoken in Canada and the French spoken in France. There are even people in France that regard Canadian french as impure and rough and not real french.

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Only too true, mate !

I must confess that after managing quite well in France for years, one trip to Quebec left me .... speechless !

From then on ... I simply apologise for not speaking French ! They seem to understand me OK - I simply can't 'hear' a word that's coming back to me.

I believe that the problem arises from Quebec French being, essentially, a variety of French that is more seventeenth than twenty first century in its basis. (It sounds like Portuguese spoken through a mouthful of cheese sandwich to me !}

I do apologise to my French Canadian amis out there - they have a problem with my accent too !

Regards,

?W????

Hey dutch baka, try Suriname for a change(official language=Dutch). Kids here can speak English at elementary school age(6-12) and often even younger. 80-90% of TV programs is in English here, you know.(Dutch stuff uses PAL, the format here is NTSC)

on topic:

If the writing system is the same words should be spelled as they are in the original language.(english, dutch, german, french etc)
In Dutch for example, they have changed french loan words into dutch spelling, and I find that annoying(cadeau=kado, blouse=bloes, boutique=boetiek)
I'm scared that that's gonna happen to English loan words too.

Just think about it...computer=kompjoeter blech

If the writing system is different, they don't really have a choice(japanese, Arabic etc) Japanese for instance is incompatible with english spelling, so go katakana!!!

This thread has been viewed 14824 times.

Back