Do You Have a Favorite Painting ?

davinci.jpg

3304849.gif

this one. it's called "small piece of paper used to stop the bleeding after cutting oneself shaving"

"The Wounded Angel" by Hugo Simberg (June 24, 1873 - July 12, 1917, Finland)

The Treachery of Images (La trahison des images) by René Magritte

By William-Adolphe Bouguereau
----------------------------
The Birth of Venus
A Young Girl Defending Herself Against Eros
Tricoteuse
The Little Knitter
Not To much to carry
Elegy
Biblis

The Treachery of Images (La trahison des images) by René Magritte

By William-Adolphe Bouguereau
----------------------------
A Young Girl Defending Herself Against Eros
The Birth of Venus
Tricoteuse
The Little Knitter
Not To much to carry
Elegy
Biblis

I am so lucky to be a painter myself, and, although I am deeply affected by the work of many great and well known artists,
my own work elicits my strongest responses, both positive......and negative.
I do like Rembrandt, he was VERY good.

Any painting painted by GianBatista Tiepolo

I want the painting of Van Gogh's self portrait with the bandage on his ear (after he cut it off!)
Not so much for the painting itself, but for the story behind it

Van Gogh was crazy as hell!

.....and of course his "Starry Night"

Last edited:
My favorite painting is by a Canadian artist named Alex Colville, and it hangs in the art gallery in Hamilton, Ontario. It's a painting of a horse raising down a set of railway tracks at night towards an oncoming train. We can easily imagine what the results will be if the horse continues on its current course.

Among the various paintings or masterpieces that I have seen, I still like [FONT=arial, sans-serif]the [/FONT]"The Last Supper" oil in canvas of Jacopo da Ponte detto Bassano.

ebFBiu9.jpg

One of my favorite paintings.

The School of Athens

By Raphael

aE0aOIy.jpg

Here are annotations naming who the figures were. (Leonardo depicted as Plato, and Michelangelo depicted as Heraclitus )

That's a really good question. I don't know if I have just one.

Da Vinci:Lady with an Ermine
leonardo_cecilia_gallerani.jpg

Francesco Hayez: The Kiss
francesco-hayez-italian-1791-1882-il-bacio-1867.jpg

Giotto: The Kiss
mdgister-giotto_1.png

Wheat field with Cypresses in Provence-Van Gogh
wheat-field-with-cypresses.jpg

I had no appreciation whatsoever for Van Gogh until I saw his work "in the flesh": the paint is caked on, making them almost three dimensional, the colors are so bright they wound the eyes. They're all spectacular.

Picasso: Portrait of a woman with folded arms: one of the saddest paintings I've seen.
Woman+with+Folded+Arms+1902.jpg

That's a really good question. I don't know if I have just one.

Da Vinci:Lady with an Ermine
leonardo_cecilia_gallerani.jpg

Francesco Hayez: The Kiss
francesco-hayez-italian-1791-1882-il-bacio-1867.jpg

Giotto: The Kiss
mdgister-giotto_1.png

Wheat field with Cypresses in Provence-Van Gogh
wheat-field-with-cypresses.jpg

I had no appreciation whatsoever for Van Gogh until I saw his work "in the flesh": the paint is caked on, making them almost three dimensional, the colors are so bright they wound the eyes. They're all spectacular.

Picasso: Portrait of a woman with folded arms: one of the saddest paintings I've seen.
Woman+with+Folded+Arms+1902.jpg

Great choices! I don't have one single favorite either, when it comes to art, or most other things like music. There's so many great works to choose from.

SGhx7ke.jpg

Saint Jerome Writing

by Caravaggio

I really like his work as well.

When I was younger I had thought of pursuing art in school. It was one of my favorite subjects. Though I never advanced past pencil drawings.

That's another great one.

I've always liked this John Singer Sargent "Portrait of Lady X". It has the distinction of being a portrait where the artist begged leave to paint it, and strangely for modern sensibilities, caused a tremendous scandal. Yes, it's obviously portraying a woman who uses her sexuality, but it is such a distant, elegant, aristocratic sexuality, that I wonder if it's even recognized today. Anyway, I like it mostly for the modeling and the contrasts.

John-Singer-Sargent+-+Tutt%2527Art%2540+-++%2528106%2529.jpg

I have to agree with all of you that said there are so many... Depending on my mood, museum, it is always the one that touches me at the moment.

This thread has been viewed 64516 times.

Back