Do You Have a Favorite Painting ?

Sensuikan San

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Anglo-Irish-Norse
Just occurred to me ....

Everybody has to have a favorite painting ... one that they would actually die for to have hanging on their wall...!

Personally, I end up plumping for Vermeer's "The Girl with a Pearl Earring" ... love it !

What's yours ?

Any period, any style, any genre any artist .... any value ...!

Just curious...

Regards,

?W????

I'd be spoilt for choice - too many fantastic paintings in existence! :D

I really like 'jeune homme assis au bord de la mer' by Hippolyte Flandrin... but I already have a print of that, so I could live without the original :)

I'm tempted to opt for 'the raft of the Medusa' (Gericault) if someone would give me a big enough house to hang it in :cool:

On the other hand, there's one in the National Gallery of Judith beheading Holofernes, and, dammit, I can't even remember who it's by, :sorry: but it's really good!

One of my all-time favourite is 'Europe after the rain II' (Max Ernst).

(Hmm, sounds like I only like older paintings, but I really love contemporary stuff too!)

But, if it really came down to it, there's a Francis Bacon painting, I think it was called 'two figures at a window' (or something like that), I saw it in a commercial gallery in London years ago and I wanted it soooo much and never saw it again. So I think that would be my final choice.

I love looking at paintings. My favorite is this one.
picasso_three_musicians_moma.jpg

Three Musicians by Pablo Picasso

I like many of Salvador Dali's paintings, too.
Salvador%20Dali%20Prints1.jpg

dali_on_canvas.jpg

Cool question! but difficult.

Probably something by Rene Magritte, but I can't decide which one
He's a Belgian Surreralist painter, a bit like Dali but less hectic!
If I was still 16 years old, I might have said H.R.Giger but I don't know if I would want one of his paintings on my wall now...Rich

I love the paintings from Herman Brood, a dutch guy who did suicide a couple of years ago ( whats up with all the dutch artist do suicide btw????)

this guy did drugs, alcohol sex,,, his paintings are famous in the netherlands, before he died and even more after he died, about being famous in the world i have no idea, so tell me if you know him

here are some of his work:

herman_brood.jpg

freepop3.jpg
Brood1a.jpg

beside being a painter, he was also a rock and roll singer

I love the Sistine Madonna, dont know that I would die or kill to have the original on the wall though... as there are so many prints.
H.R. Geiger's art always fascinates me too... its a bit too risque having guests over with some of his work on the wall though, we will keep that in 'coffee table book' form.
There is a New Zealand artist that I particularly like also, but im not sure that anyone else would know her... perhaps in years to come?

GROWING UP PLAYING COWBOYS & INDIANS.....

I have always loved Fredrick Remington's works. I think that's his name; always western theams.

Frank

:blush:

guernica.jpg

This is Guernica by Pablo Picasso. :wave: (This is about the Spanish civil war)

how to pick just one? this is only little part :)

Alma said:
how to pick just one? this is only little part :)

Th last one of Van Gogh I totally agree with Alma!! What I like about Van Gogh is that it is jibberish when you look at the paintings from standing too close, but when you look at it from distance, it is art!

Mycernius said:
One of my favourite pictures is 'ophelia' by John Everett Millais. It isn't what you would call a happy picture, but it always reminds me of Albinoni's Adagio in G minor.

This is a sad painting Mycernius...I don't like Shakespeare's Ophelia depicted that way....
I must say, not one of my favourites, it is too sad to have it on my wall, but beautiful it is.

:) it is actually allways on my desktop background . more i see it, more i like it.

also, i love guernica :) it is quite interesting story behind that one

:wave:

Wow, I can't pick just one.

Botticelli - The Birth of Venus
Gustav Klimt - The Kiss
Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec - La Toilette
Modigliani - Nude Sdraiato
Jan Vermeer - The Love Letter

SO MANY!

I have many paintings I love and many artists, and they are as random as my taste in music! :p

Hi folks ! Wonderful response ! Great choices ! - keep 'em coming !

Excuse me but I just couldn't resist .... I, too, love "Guernica" - with a passion - but I do have to say .... You'd need a bloody great wall to hang that one ! :biggrin:

Great ! Carry on ..... ignore me .... I'm gone .....

Warmest Regards,

?W????

Mycernius said:
One of my favourite pictures is 'ophelia' by John Everett Millais. It isn't what you would call a happy picture, but it always reminds me of Albinoni's Adagio in G minor.

Ah, somebody else know's Albinoni's Adagio in G minor! It's the first 'proper' piece of music I taught myself to play on piano (oh, OK, on keyboard; I can't afford a piano :( ) I'm not particularly well up on classical music (despite playing the flute for 8 years, lol!) and had never heard of it.

I bought myself a book of over 100 classical pieces and started at the beginning, with that one... this was, erm, early March-ish (?) and I'm on, hmmm, piece number 3... :p I have to memorise too, otherwise I can't learn (don't know why, maybe something to do with playing guitar for ages...?).

This is completely off topic :sorry: :sorry:

Sensuikan San said:
Hi folks ! Wonderful response ! Great choices ! - keep 'em coming !

Excuse me but I just couldn't resist .... I, too, love "Guernica" - with a passion - but I do have to say .... You'd need a bloody great wall to hang that one ! :biggrin:

Great ! Carry on ..... ignore me .... I'm gone .....

Warmest Regards,

?W????

:D :D :D One can always buy a framed poster-version of it!!! :blush: ! :blush
Great in my living room!!

10000755.jpg

I have this one by Salvador Dali on my wall atm.

I could never choose just one artist or one painting,

but I am a big fan of Alphonse Mucha. Although most of his works weren't exactly paintings, they were lithographs, I believe.

mucha.jpg

This thread has been viewed 64509 times.

Back