Reputation points

I Got A New Idea !!

Lets have the number of balls based on the number of threads the person has started. They would have to count the chit chat section for me to get any though.

Frank

:blush:

Index said:
Perhaps we could change the colors of rep points, not just green and red. If each user could change the color of their rep points pre-judgement could not be done, to borrow alexriversan's interesting phrase.
well multi-color abberates sometimes.

what i have in mind:

************ counter (including numeric display)
******* entertaining
*** negative
*********** good language
*** disagree
* bad post
********* good quality
** annoying signature

just 1 line (1 or 2 pixel height) for each of the counters
same color for all lines (customizeable)

Yes, I"m just going to proceed to disable my reputation points. You know this wouldn't be so bad, if people didn't have to be so well oppressive about it. I felt alot of pressure when I posted messages when I first came to the forum. I almost didn't want to post anymore in fear of making myself look bad on this internet forum. Now that I think about it, it was stupid of me to think that way. People will sometimes think like that still, so yeah. This is my last post for this thread, I guess it's up to the admin team.
Goodluck guys. lol :relief:

dutch baka said:
i think it is nice to get some kind of respect in this way, and when you get a bad rep,, you can think about what you put wrong in that post... i dont think rep points are that bad, and if you dont like it, just disable it!!!

i agree, you dont want rep then dont have it enabled, simple enough!
everyone knows you cant repeatedly give rep to the same person, so its not like you get spammed with it, is it?

I like the rep system, even if I get a few red cards. I can know what others thought of my posts, even if it's negative feedback. Anyways, I'll continue posting with the same opinion, despite continued negative feedback. I'm just that way, and have accrued a total of eight for a couple of posts, just cause the liberals weren't understanding my argument (they agreed with me later). This of course took place at another forum.

Others can honestly give their true opinion without fear of someone getting angry, or upset at them. Sure, it would be better if people could actually articulate their disagreements in posts, but some won't bother.

I also like to let other people know that theirs was a good post, and occasionally that theirs was bad. I usually never sign either good or bad reps though, just so that people remain objective when they read my posts, and disagree when they disagree (I've noticed on other boards that people stopped disagreeing when I had given them some signed positive rep). I put my opinion/beliefs down, and I hope people can actually challenge me to look at it differently.

Last edited:
I can't believe people would give negative rep just because they disagree with you. I have always understood that it was for if someone says something personally offensive or prejudiced. I have given positive rep to people I disagreed with before, if they make a clear point. I have never given negative rep, and I doubt I ever will - gotta think about karma! :)

Yeah, I agree with Tsuyoiko.

Also I have never given negative rep. If I disagree with someone, that's no reason to bad rep them, especially if they made their point well, indeed like Tsuyoiko I sometimes gave them good rep in fact! The world is full of people who disagree with me!

If someone is really ignorant and offensive, I didn't even give bad rep, because I just feel sorry for them. If someone be that awful, well, IMO they are missing out on a lot of things and making themself very unhappy. I'd rather argue with them properly - a snappy bitchy comment from me isn't exactly going to make them change any!

Not only have folks given me bad rep points because they disagree with me, but they don't have the backbone to sign their name to it. That's really cowardly.

Have you ever noticed that when you put your cursor over the green points that a message pops up? What's up with that? Is it like a futune cookie???

Pararousia said:
Have you ever noticed that when you put your cursor over the green points that a message pops up? What's up with that? Is it like a futune cookie???

Wow! I hadn't noticed that! *dances off, checking everybody's messages*........ :happy:

Pararousia said:
Not only have folks given me bad rep points because they disagree with me, but they don't have the backbone to sign their name to it. That's really cowardly.
That's usual, and actually, people do it far less often here than at other places. I just don't worry about it, and I must also admit to never leaving my name in the rare bad rep I give, but then I usually never leave my name in good reps either. I used to get one bad rep for every good rep I recieved, and I was one of the people with top rep for a while (at another forum)
Pararousia said:
Interesting, the titles seem to be different here. At another forum, it says things like, 'Jack is a glorious beacon of light', or 'Jack is a name known to all'.

EDIT: Actually, mine says 'Revenant is a name known to all', and Tsuyoiko's says 'Tsuyoiko is a glorious beacon of light'. Pararousia and Kinsao's are however different from the other forum.

Last edited:
I have only given bad rep to one person. Shortly afterwords he was banned, because of the rather offensive threads he started, also removed. Apart from that I have never felt the need to give bad rep. If I find the post offensive I will ignore it or try to find a valid discussion point with them. If they don't want engage in a decent discussion then they go into my "He's/she's an idiot" box and I will not continue to try to talk to them. If a post is well written and the views are well put forward, even if I do disagree with what is being said, I will give good rep. Unfortunaltely I forget about it sometimes and go days without posting any rep as my mind can be like a sieve.

Pararousia said:

I always thought it correlates with post count since it's right next to it, but I guess it's more to do with reputation now that I look at some other of those points.

edit: I wonder what those with a lot of bad rep points would get.

Donate!

Mycernius said:
I have never felt the need to give bad rep. If I find the post offensive I will ignore it or try to find a valid discussion point with them. If they don't want engage in a decent discussion then they go into my "He's/she's an idiot" box and I will not continue to try to talk to them. If a post is well written and the views are well put forward, even if I do disagree with what is being said, I will give good rep. Unfortunaltely I forget about it sometimes and go days without posting any rep as my mind can be like a sieve.

Tsuyoiko said:
I can't believe people would give negative rep just because they disagree with you. I have always understood that it was for if someone says something personally offensive or prejudiced. I have given positive rep to people I disagreed with before, if they make a clear point. I have never given negative rep, and I doubt I ever will - gotta think about karma!

Kinsao said:
Also I have never given negative rep. If I disagree with someone, that's no reason to bad rep them, especially if they made their point well, indeed like Tsuyoiko I sometimes gave them good rep in fact! The world is full of people who disagree with me!
My thoughts exactly. I would not give a bad rep to someone for stating their opinion on a particular subject.

Pararousia said:
If you want to see who is giving reputation points all you have to do is donate to Jref through Paypal. It is an added benefit for donators that surprised me. Any amount you could afford would be gladly accepted, and appreciated, I'm sure, as it costs money to keep a great site like this going. With so many members who participate on a regular basis, I'm surprised there aren't more.

lastmagi said:
I wonder what those with a lot of bad rep points would get.
Their little boxes are red.

rep points is just a way to try and control what we post on this forum. the people or person who leaves negative rep points because of a clash in beliefs is well...some words wont post because they will give me negative points

duff_o_josh said:
rep points is just a way to try and control what we post on this forum. the people or person who leaves negative rep points because of a clash in beliefs is well...some words wont post because they will give me negative points
Not really as you could always disable the rep points so it just shows a gray square. This way if someone gives you a bad rep point it would be the same as receiving a PM from them and nobody would know.

I don't think it's a form of control as, if someone is so squeamish (easily offended) about receiving a bad rep point that they won't post because of fear of it, they don't need to be posting on a mature forum. I think one should be able to defend one's opinion if they truly believe in it.

Mycernius said:
Unfortunaltely I forget about it sometimes and go days without posting any rep as my mind can be like a sieve.

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most. :D

NovaTeacher said:
It seems like people who are honest on all topics don't have lots of green lights. That's cool.
I don't know about that. Certainly, people like MikeCash and a few others are dead honest, and have no qualms about saying they disagree. They have a lot of good rep as well.

There are people who are honest but just come across the wrong way to people at the other end of the opinion spectrum, and I can understand them not getting a whole lot of good rep.

from the moment i came here, i just recieved 2 neg rep from people, one ... well i dont know why she did, other one was from somebody who was a bit drunk, and wanted to have fun....

am i this nice? or should i open my mounth more ? mmm well i like the idea of getting BLUE balls in here... and that there will come an award for best poster or something, as it might give some more quality to some people ... like me hahahaha.....

btw, who can see who gave them neg rep points? or is that only when you are a donator?

Just like being Japanese

Revenant said:
I don't know about that. Certainly, people like MikeCash and a few others are dead honest, and have no qualms about saying they disagree. They have a lot of good rep as well.

What I meant to say was,
If people have only a few green lights, I assume they speak their mind, direct and not scared of confrontation (or a troll).

I haven't been on this forum long but I can feel some differences.
I think maybe people who care about the green lights talk like those managers who want to be liked by everyone.
On the other hand it does make people think and communicate their ideas in a more harmonious and understandable way.
It's very Japanese.

This thread has been viewed 60785 times.

Back