What do you like about your first/native language?

Mycernius

The Hairy Wookie
Reaction score
Ethnic group
English
What do the forum members like about their own language? Some people are complaining about foreign languages and which parts are difficult or it sound horrible, but to the person who speaks that language it could be beautiful to them. The things I like about English is the fact that we don't use gender in objects, unlike other european languages, and it is an adaptable language and will quite happily use foreign words and anglify them (A bit like Japanese and the foriegn word they use).

i like my language because it is not spoken that widhtly in the world, and i think we have a lot of FUNNY words... also i like it because it is pretty simuliar ( ???) to german, scandinavian. so it makes it easy to understand them better!!!

I kind of dislike Dutch because not many people can speak the language or are willing to study it.That means we have to study another language, for people to communicate with.English is convenient because English speaking natives don't have to adjust to others, but others have to adjust to them as their language is worldwide spoken.Also these days 'Dutch' gets raped by foreigners who talk their own 'Dutch/their language' babble :eek:kashii: The bad part is people start talking like idiots and use too much slang.Kinda like English actually :souka:

Hey, Rock people do that to English, too. That's why I hate Ebonics. It's broken English, butchered. You what annoys me to no end is when immigrants live an a country for so long and they still can't use complete sentences. It drives me crazy. :mad:

Korean has many monophthongs, with two u's and two o's.

i...u..u(rounded)
e.....o(high)
ae...o(low)
a

Flexibility in word order made possible due to sizeable number of noun & verb particles to express almost any logical relationship expressible.
Can get away with subjectless sentences, can be logically confusing, but good for jokes. :p
The many dialects add to the spectrum of sounds and words, and of course provincial humor. :p
Flexibility in handling loan words to make new nouns and verbs.
No stress pattern, no long-short syllable distinction make learning easy.
Orthogrphy and pronunciation is consistent and hence predictable.
Polisyllabic words, few syllable forming restrictions allow great number of combinations.

The writing system with two kinds of kana, kanji and punctuation marks is one of the things I like about Japanese.
I think how they are used to differentiate the meaning of words and to make sentence structure easier to understand make a lot of sense.

I also like the fact that there are so many distinctive dialects in many regions.

to rocklee. GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGoedenavond ( ... the dutch G is really dificult to pronounce and when foreigners say it, it is just sooo funny!!!)

my girl ones made a joke to me she said she talked dutch in her sleep! i was so happy to hear that and i asked her what she talked then in her sleep and she said : gggg pfff ggggg pfff ggggg pfff gggggg pffff

I like Finnish because I can make up funny words I couldn't come up with any other language. My Finnish can sometimes be slightly obscure even to native speakers because I make up words all the time ^^;

I like my native language cuz it's special, it's an indo-european one but has no other relative languages, it's a branc of it's own. Plus i love the cuss words, amazing stuff, so creative, really great cuss words, and i love the different dialects and like to make fun of them and stuff, and i love about it that we have 36 letters in the alphabet and many sounds not common in other languages and a huge variety of sounds that allows us to learn foreign languages in an easier manner than most.

Hoahaooaha, SUKAZZZZZZZZ :p

Mycernius said:
What do the forum members like about their own language? Some people are complaining about foreign languages and which parts are difficult or it sound horrible, but to the person who speaks that language it could be beautiful to them. The things I like about English is the fact that we don't use gender in objects, unlike other european languages, and it is an adaptable language and will quite happily use foreign words and anglify them (A bit like Japanese and the foriegn word they use).

With regard to English - I think Mycernius has said it all!

?W????

miu said:
I like Finnish because I can make up funny words I couldn't come up with any other language. My Finnish can sometimes be slightly obscure even to native speakers because I make up words all the time ^^;
Finnish was one of J.R.R.Tolkiens favourites languages along with Welsh. He used both of them to base his Elvish languages on.

English isn't my first language, but I'd like to add the many productive rules of word formation using prefixes and sufixes to make all kinds of words; nouns (-ness, -hood, -ship, -ry, -s, -er, -ee, -ling), adjectives (-ie, -ish, -ly, -some), verbs (-ize, -fy, -ate), adverbs (-ly).

Last edited:
Most of the time, I do not like the complex structure of Japanese language, but at the same time, I find that to be interesting sometimes.

In my opinion, Japanese is excellent language to express indirectly, hide the true meaning, or describe a subtle thing.

English is pretty much the very opposite; very expressive, direct, straight or blunt. I like English for those reasons, too.

So what did I learn?

To be sensitive but speak the truth!

Neologisms (did I spell that right?). They are a great thing in English (and Japanese). Unlike French, which tries to preserve a 'pure' language. Our philosophy is if we haven't got a word to fit, just nick someone else's!

thing that i like 'bout my native languange is .. well, we have tons of local dialects that influence our languange, and this makes indonesian is .. not really easy to learn .. hahahaha i saw an australian trying soooo hard to say an indonesian word correctly, and that makes me feel better hahahahaha cos that's how i feel bout my english hahahahahaha ...
i'm sooo mean
sorry ...

If it is spoken with a beautiful accent (and by a woman with a sensual voice) it sounds more delicate and refined that any other languages on earth.

What language am I referring to ?

French !

It is not my favourite language, though, as it sounds too feminine and the grammar and spelling are much too irregular and complicated.

My favourite language from an esthetic and emotional point of view is Italian. My favourite from a practical point of view (easiest to express one's ideas, communicate with people, etc.) is English.

There are languages that are better to listen to than to speak. French is one of them. Japanese is even more so. It sounds quite nice without beat French or Italian, but it is the most impractical language I have ever learned. French is annoying to use because of the "tu" vs "vous" distinction and a few other stuff, but Japanese is a pain not just for the various politeness levels (which are more flexible than in French anyway), but because of its extreme ambiguity (lack of subject, no future tense, thousands of homonyms...) and the clumsiness of its sentence structure. I may dislike Dutch for the way it sounds, but practically it isn't bad. Japanese is just the opposite.

I'm there with you about Italian, i simply love it, I think it's better than french. French sure has its good attributes, but the grammar of it simply annoys me to no end. Dutch is weird for me as wel. But I donna Italian is just so great, the expressions of it are golden, the regional phrases and jokes and what not. The way that comedians twist the words and so forth, ahhh I can't compare it :p
I think if a nice feminine voice spoke it softly it would also be quite sensual

French is, by far, my favorite language. Beautiful, it is. It makes me weak in the knees to hear it. For me, it's also a challenge to learn, without being overly challenging, like Japanese... :p

Anyway, what I like about my native language? Well, I certainly don't like the sound of it, but I guess that could be because I am used to it. I do agree with Mycernius, though. I do like that we don't have to worry about what's feminine and what's masculine and I like that it is very adaptable.

....but Japanese is a pain not just for the various politeness levels (which are more flexible than in French anyway), but because of its extreme ambiguity (lack of subject, no future tense, thousands of homonyms...) and the clumsiness of its sentence structure. I may dislike Dutch for the way it sounds, but practically it isn't bad. Japanese is just the opposite.
Japanese has great flexibility to jump from vague or precise/complicated or simple as any particular situation requires. The one thing I dislike the most and that can't be altered is its illogical structure -- having no appreciation of how things ended up the way they are, it just is. Plus you feel half the time like you're trying to translate everything that is non-verbal in English (intonation, emphasis, rhythm....) into actual particles and words in Japanese. :bluush: Understandable once you decipher the native code but next to impossible to explain objectively and learn.

This thread has been viewed 21234 times.

Back