Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bombs In London? Hope All Our English Members Are Ok !

Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered

You both make good arguments, but I don't tend to believe that it is a government conspiracy to keep power.
    Last edited by CC1; 08-07-05 at 05:10.

I jump to conclusions Achievements:
    1 year registered

Unhappy

I just want to echo Frank's concern; I hope all of our members are safe.I found out about this last night just as I was going to bed, it was awful. My heart goes out to the victims. I hope these kinds of attacks will stop someday.

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

I don't want to be cynical, but the likelihood of a JREF member being harmed by the bombs in London is extremely low. London is a city of 12 million people (+ tourists and othe people passing throughbut not living there, so probably over 15 million). 37 people died so far, which means 0.00005% of the resident population (less if we count non-residents). There were 700 people injured, or 0.005% of the population.

Considering that only 59 JREF members have chosen England as their country of residence, and 49 have chosen London as their city of residence, the chances that they are among the casualties are another 250,000x lower (as they only make up 1/250000 of London's population).

This gives us 0.00000002% of chance (in other words, one chance out of 5 billion) of them even having an injury. For death, there is only one chance out of 500 billion. I am not even considering in which part of London they live and whether they usually commute to work by bus/underground at the same time using these lines. That means that there is a higher chance that some JREF members anywhere in the world be in a car accident or fall down the stairs at the same moment than be injured or killed in that terrorist attack.

That doesn't mean I do not feel sorry for the victims.

1 year registered

Don't worry, you're not being cynical.

(Just realistic.)

Still, emotions are irrational, and I get emotional sometimes.
    This kind of violence really gets to me.

Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by mad pierrot
    (Just realistic.)

Still, emotions are irrational, and I get emotional sometimes.
    This kind of violence really gets to me.

Yeah, I am also very sensitive to violence but somehow I don't have a special attachment to Jref members I've never met as opposed to any other innocent victim. And not only in London of course, since bombings and terror like this happen with clockwork regularity....somewhere in the world nearly every day.

Conspiratorialist Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1 year registered

Ethnic group
    French/Irish

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    Sometimes I wonder if these attacks are not organised by our dear leaders themselves. In the US it is clear that 9/11 helped Bush stay president when his victory at the elections was being investigated for cheating. Then it helped him become Commander in Chief (quite a lot of power) and attack Iraq (his ultimate goal, to continue his father's work). It again helped him get re-elected, helped him pass the Patriot Act to increase the government's power and reduce citizens' rights. Whatever angle you look at it, 9/11 was good for Bush and his pals. More power, stay longer in power. And who knows what will happen next ? A dictature ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Duo
    You know, I have wondered the same thing about 9/11. Maybe not that it was the gov itself that organized it but that perhaps they knew about it and let it happen. Some say Roosevelt knew about Pearl Harbor as well but let it through so that the USA could enter WW2. Could 9/11 have had such a similar function, to allow the gov support for its plans on reshaping the middle east?
    I mean what about all those reports warning about suspected individuals going to flight schools and what not.... why were they discarded that way ? You make very valid points about Italy.... I'm not familiar with the politics in Japan so I can't agree or not but Italian politics sure are some of the most chaotic here in Europe.
    I don't have the time now, but I'll post more on this at a later date. For now, does anyone remember the AP reporting and CNN and Fox news saying that the Isralie PM Netanyahoo(sp) was warned BEFORE the first explosion took place to stay in his hotel room and not venture outside? I heard it on the news reports and noticed it on the scrolls at the bottom of the scrren of these networks. Just something very curious that I took notice of right away.

1 year registered

And not only in London of course, since bombings and terror like this happen with clockwork regularity....somewhere in the world nearly every day.
    Sucks, don't it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12