Marriage

Wow - there are interesting posts here. :cool: I agree with a lot of what Doc and Brooker said. Personally, I think marriage is a good thing. I feel that it is more than just a legal thing with the bit of paper and all. But of course, it depends on the attitude of the people going into the marriage. Some people get married only for the legal reasons, others maybe don't have a very mature idea of what marriage is like but think of some 'ideal' instead, others marry only for the sake that they want their children to have married parents... I don't think these motives on their own are enough to get a marriage to work.

Couples split up all the time, whether they are married or cohabiting or what. Some people perhaps just see marriage as a legal kind of extension of living with someone. I think it's a lot more than that.

Personally, I would only get married to someone if I was certain I wanted to spend the rest of our lives together. Therefore, I would have to trust them 100% (maybe that's not possible, but so be it - in that case I will never get married, I'm not bothered). But to live with someone you don't necessarily have to have that level of trust. (Some couples obviously do, and that's great...)

I think marriage strengthens a relationship. But of course, everything depends on the individuals involved. If people are nagging or selfish or obnoxious or perhaps even abusive, marriage can become an awful trap. But that's the person/people at fault, not the concept of marriage. Well, that's just my view. :)

Kinsao said:
others maybe don't have a very mature idea of what marriage is like but think of some 'ideal' instead, others marry only for the sake that they want their children to have married parents... I don't think these motives on their own are enough to get a marriage to work.

A lot of good points there Kinsao san !! :cool: I think the above one is more common over here in Japan, and in that respect, really stress Marriage Education--along with Sex Education.

I was divorced after a 20 year marriage, now married again for 6 years and the one place where it seems to me most relationships in general fail is communication. Learning how to communicate with your partner constructively can be key to keeping marriage together.

This thread has been viewed 21573 times.

Back