Nature How aware are you of the State of the Environment?

CC1

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not on here to preach to everyone, but I am curious as to what people know about the state of the environment as we know it.

Do you think the next war will be over oil...or water?

Which do you believe will run out first water or oil?

Can the present day farmers continue to produce enough food to feed everyone in the world? (Please no sarcastic answers on this one, as I realize that there are presently people starving)

Feel free to post your own questions, I am using this as a form of research.

I Find.....

many people my age or older figure we will be dead by the time something gets to critical stage?

Frank

:?

In some ways I feel just a bit cynical about the whole thing. There are definitely some very harmful effects on the animal world, and us, as a result of chemical wastes and other stuffs. But none of this will change until people as a whole see the need for a change.

One goes to the supermarket, and one doesn't have on one's mind which product was made with the least impact on the environment. I don't look at two brands of pens, and think, I wonder whether Bic or Sharp pens were made with less impact, or whether Honda or Mitsubishi were easier on the environment. I simply look at styles, gas mileage, price, and other factors.

This will continue, until the pain of a damaged environment becomes greater than the desire for cheaper, and easier to dispose of products.

The companies, whether they would like to be more environmentally sound or not, must still remain competitive. They cannot offer a TV that is 15% more expensive than the same TV from another company, and hope to do well at all.

One could legislate certain environmental laws, or one could simply make the practice of buying less products, and more environmentally sound products. However, most people hardly have the time or energy, let alone the motivation, to do all that research, as well as that no one wants to pay extra for the same product made with little impact on the environment.

I read an interesting book on the effects of chemicals on the animal world, and how that eventually all make their way into our bodies. People are more often being born with defects that make it harder for them to reproduce, or just health problems of some sort. I can't remember the name of the book, if I remember, I'll ask my friend what the title of that was again, since he recommended it to me.

Anyways, I'm sure one won't find this book on many conservative bookshelves.

I try to keep up with this as much as time allows. Based on what I've read in several science magazines and newspaper and magazine articles, the next major war may well be over water, rather than oil, but the oil will probably run into short supply earlier than the water. The quality of water supplies may well put pressure on some major industrial nations, however, and one good candidate is this group of islands, Japan, itself.

As far as the decline in nutrient value of vegetables, the degree of damage caused by various consumer products (other than PCBs--which are causing havoc already in the polar zones, esp. Artica area) in our immediate environment, the jury still seems to be out.

What human activity has done to the animal kingdom seems to be largely uncertain but some studies argue that a lot more than meets the eye is and has been underway in a very silent, almost undetectable way.

A lot more study seems to be needed in this area to make some universally accepted consensus possible, kind of like what Revenant said, because there are still a few powerful folks who are arguing that global warming is not a man-made thing for the most part, or that most scientists who make efforts to warn about it, are in the wrong. One day there may well be that 'wake-up call', but then it may already have become irreversible.

Revenant said:
One goes to the supermarket, and one doesn't have on one's mind which product was made with the least impact on the environment.
I'm sure some people do. In the UK organic food is becoming very popular, and although health is the main reason for that, environment is an important concern for a lot of people. Also, in the UK we receive a tax incentive to run cars with smaller engines. I don't think it makes a lot of difference, but it is a tiptoe in the right direction.

I don't think it will be long before we reach crisis point, but when we do I am absolutely confident that we will find solutions - let's face it, we already have the technologies, it's just economics preventing us from using them. So when things get so bad that we have to put economy second, we will start to use those technologies. It has already happened with CFCs and leaded petrol - we were able to take action before things got too bad.

I try to be aware of the environment when possible, although I've got to admit I'm not big on doing detailed research into how products were made etc. etc. I don't have a car, so I don't worry about causing pollution in that way. I just do basic things, really; using our local recycling facilities for as much as possible, not using too much electricity and water, buying organic (and fair trade) produce as much as possible, not taking unneccessary wrapping/bags... that sort of thing. But when it comes to the real knowledge... no... I don't have any. :sorry: And I use a hosepipe in summer. :buuh: (It's very entertaining for onlookers - that's my excuse!)

I think we will run out of oil first, but before then I'm pretty sure electric cars will dominate before war breaks out over oil but who knows. Maybe we can produce crops, however if everyone produces crops and gets paid for it, I'm sure we will have enough food for the poor

This thread has been viewed 12862 times.

Back