Happy Anniversary, Portugal

lexico

Chukchi Salmon
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Paleo-Asian
on your 95th Implantation of the Republic.
May she contribute to the ever-growing EU community, and enjoy many years of peace and prosperity as a nation.

Last edited:
Thank you for remembering, lexico... :cool:

Though when I saw the title, I thought you might have known that the 5th of October is not only the anniversary of the Republic in October 5th, 1910, but also of the Monarchy, because the Kingdom of Portugal was (at least officially, though historians now think otherwise) proclaimed on October 5th, 1139.

This odd coincidence comes from the fact that, in 1910, the republicans had decided to stage their anti-monarchist coup during the celebrations of the day of the Kingdom, thus surprising the Kings' forces.

It turned out to be a bloody stupid idea, mostly because the Royal Army was out in force in the streets that day, in order to take part in the ceremonial parades.

So, the republican forces soon found themselves outnumbered 4 to 1 and quickly surrounded in a famous location in the city, and by midday their position seemed hopeless. Losing all hope, one of the main republican leaders (Admiral Cândido dos Reis) committed suicide.

Then something happened that nobody expected.

The German ambassador, afraid of the potential danger posed by the combats to the german citizens living in Lisbon, asked the Royal commander for a small truce, during which the germans could be evacuated. The general agreed.

But the republicans also had to be informed. So, the ambassador ordered a rider to go and meet them in order to arrange the truce. To show his intentions, the rider should carry a large white flag.

To reach the republican positions, however, the rider had to go from the royal HQ to their location, which implied moving up all the way through one of the main - and longest - streets.

When everyone saw a large white flag moving from the royal side, the citizens - who were 80% pro-monarchy - started to say: "the Army is surrendering!". And these cries reached the royal soldiers, who thought "looks like we surrendered".

By the time the rider reached the republican positions, their soldiers were saying "they've surrendered! We won!", and without stopping for consultation, their commander led an advance directly to the royal HQ. They were not stopped by the royal troops, who were putting down their weapons, convinced that a surrender had been ordered.

It was quite a surprise for the royal general to see the republicans burst into his HQ less than an hour after he had gently offered a truce. He still tried to protest that it *wasn't* a surrender but a truce, but it was too late - he was captured.

Seeing the debacle of his troops, the King hurriedly left the Palace and the capital, and later that day the Republic was proclaimed.

And we owe it all to Germany :relief:

Keoland, is you story true?! I mean, wow, I never heard about such a way of winning a war in the past! If only all wars could be finished that way, without fighting...

Great Chapter of History

That is a truly amazing story, Keoland. I was not aware of the history of the traditionally accepted inauguration of the monarchy on Oct. 5, 1139. Again the historical lesson is a humbling one, but fortunately it sounds like there was little bloodshed for a revolution from monarchy to a republic. It also shows how orderly the majority of the royal forces were of that time, remaining flexible to either change or non-change. Thanks for sharing your great story, Keoland ! :bravo:

Mamoru-kun said:
Keoland, is you story true?! I mean, wow, I never heard about such a way of winning a war in the past! If only all wars could be finished that way, without fighting...

Yes it is - any serious top notch history book tells it (the schoolbooks and the lesser books only mention that the 'monarchy was overthrown on October 5th, 1910).

Note that there *was* fighting before the white flag showed up... and it wasn't a war, just a coup. It's just that things there tend to be VERY odd from time to time.

lexico said:
That is a truly amazing story, Keoland. I was not aware of the history of the traditionally accepted inauguration of the monarchy on Oct. 5, 1139. Again the historical lesson is a humbling one, but fortunately it sounds like there was little bloodshed for a revolution from monarchy to a republic. It also shows how orderly the majority of the royal forces were of that time, remaining flexible to either change or non-change. Thanks for sharing your great story, Keoland !

It's more like they didn't care what would happen after - mismanagment by mismanagment...

Though the start of the monarchy on Oct.5th is now contested - the historians say that it is doubtful that the mythical Parliament at Lamego even convened to proclaim the Kingdom and that King Afonso the First merely decided to start calling himself King the night after his victory at the Battle of Ourique in August 1139 - the fact remains that the monarchists celebrate the day as their own. Which just compounds to their misery :D

This thread has been viewed 8903 times.

Back