European cultures : (1) The French

The thing I find most perplexing about the French is the reluctance to accept new words into the language, or to borrow words from other languages.
This is my first post on the forum. I am the first generation born in the US from a French speaking family from Quebec. I am trying to understand my French heritage and this seems to be a wonderful place to learn. I believe to learn a culture one has to understand their history. Not the history of kings and queens but the history of the people. So I pose this more as a question then a statement. My understanding of Modern French is that in reality it is a relatively new language. Before the French revolution if one left Paris and traveled into the interior of France a person would have a great deal of difficulty understanding the langauge. In fact one village would find it difficult to understand the next village. The French revolution took great efforts to standardize the language and eradicate these dialects. Eventually not speaking proper French was taken as a sign of ignorance and through time generalized to all non french languages. This is just a speculative thought.

The standardisation of languages is a very recent process. It is not until universal compulsory education was introduced in the late 19th or early 20th century that one standard language became spoken by the whole population of large European countries like France, Germany, Italy or Spain. It is only since WWI (when soldiers from all parts of the country met on a daily basis), then with the media revolution (radio from the 1920's, then TV in the 1950's) that people who traditionally spoke dialect started preferring the standard form though.

France was actually somewhat of a pioneer in standardising language in the late 18th century, although modern French is just a slight evolution of the traditional Parisian French dialect of the 17th and 18th centuries. What changed most is the way of speaking rather than the spelling or grammar. It is probably easier for modern French speakers to understand 17th century Parisian French (e.g. Molière) than it is for English speakers to understand 17th-century Southeast English (Shakespeare).

Last edited:
The standardisation of languages

Pity

The joy of finding and listening different languages/dialects with the one language in a country is tremendous. Hope I am not around when everyone speaks one boring same same same old language within a country. yarn....

2) pretentious/arrogant/chauvinist (about their country and culture) => especially Parisians. Many people tend to confuse Parisians for all French people. However, even the French themselves agree that Parisians are much more arrogant and unpleasant than average. Unfortunately, most visitors to France get their first (or only) impression of France in Paris.

Maciamo, like you I traveled quite a bit. I agree that Parisians are more pretentious and chauvinistic than the rest of France. But with regard to other countries, the impression that the French are worse on that front is mostly due to a "first impression"; other cultures for instance (brits and Americans) will put more smiles and nice forms to it, but if you discuss deeply with an American or a Brit you will very quickly come to face with a firm belief that (as Americans put it) "America is the greatest country on Earth".
Same thing with the dutch, spaniards, Italians and Germans.

I once had a conversation with a nice British lady. the convo then fell on Johan of Arc; Within seconds, the Union Jack was brandished up and high and I thought she would burn me to the stake right there!!!
"This delusional slut!!" she went....

Maciamo, like you I traveled quite a bit. I agree that Parisians are more pretentious and chauvinistic than the rest of France. But with regard to other countries, the impression that the French are worse on that front is mostly due to a "first impression"; other cultures for instance (brits and Americans) will put more smiles and nice forms to it, but if you discuss deeply with an American or a Brit you will very quickly come to face with a firm belief that (as Americans put it) "America is the greatest country on Earth".
Same thing with the dutch, spaniards, Italians and Germans.

I once had a conversation with a nice British lady. the convo then fell on Johan of Arc; Within seconds, the Union Jack was brandished up and high and I thought she would burn me to the stake right there!!!
"This delusional slut!!" she went....

Eheh, Italy the greatest country on Earth as firm belief? Good joke! =D xD

Eheh, Italy the greatest country on Earth as firm belief? Good joke! =D xD

Ricardo,
During the final of the world cup 2006 (France - Italy) I was on an italian cruse ship in the Mediteranean.
So I watched and cheered my team (France) alone with my wife in the middle of thousands of Italians. I can tell you, Italians are quite chauvinistic when it comes to their team. When Zidane head quicked the Italian, I thought they would throw me overboard.

Also dont talk to an Italian about Mona Lisa because as a frenchman you might be treated just short of a thief...

I guess in a sense every country wants to be respected; if one country starts to believe that someone else is trying to take over, the locals will draw the claws; the question is how deep is that chauvinism and under pressure how hard will you fight to defend your way of life....

It doesn't matter where in the world there are always some people who are either arrogant, ignorant, superior, chauvanistic, pretentious, or just plain stupid (lol). I don't think these faults are dependent on any one nationality, rather they are human and depend entirely on the mentality or outlook of the individual.

It doesn't matter where in the world there are always some people who are either arrogant, ignorant, superior, chauvanistic, pretentious, or just plain stupid (lol). I don't think these faults are dependent on any one nationality, rather they are human and depend entirely on the mentality or outlook of the individual.

We this kind of attitude we are never going to be able to discuss cultural differences between countries, and specificities of regions like Paris. I do believe it makes a big psychological difference to be raised in in a proud and beautiful city like Paris, once the centre of the Western world, and still the global capital of fashion, gastronomy, etc. It's not that difficult to imagine why individuals who are used to the Parisian lifestyle since their childhood could be tempted to look down on country backwaters or less gorgeous or exciting parts of the world. City people have always had a tendency to feel superior to country people. The apotheosis of city life resides in Paris, London and New York more than anywhere else on Earth. However, Paris is special by being more elitist than London or New York in many respects. London and New York are overwhelmingly populated by outsiders who moved in and created cosmopolitan cities. Paris was built by the French elite for the French elite, and looks down on outsiders.

We this kind of attitude we are never going to be able to discuss cultural differences between countries, and specificities of regions like Paris. I do believe it makes a big psychological difference to be raised in in a proud and beautiful city like Paris, once the centre of the Western world, and still the global capital of fashion, gastronomy, etc. It's not that difficult to imagine why individuals who are used to the Parisian lifestyle since their childhood could be tempted to look down on country backwaters or less gorgeous or exciting parts of the world. City people have always had a tendency to feel superior to country people. The apotheosis of city life resides in Paris, London and New York more than anywhere else on Earth. However, Paris is special by being more elitist than London or New York in many respects. London and New York are overwhelmingly populated by outsiders who moved in and created cosmopolitan cities. Paris was built by the French elite for the French elite, and looks down on outsiders.

What is being discussed is snobbery, which is not a cultural difference. That, unfortunately, is to be found (in one form or another) everywhere. Personally, I haven't found Parisians to be any worse than in other places like London or Athens.

I agree that city dwellers look down on country people, but the sentiment is also returned. Country people are also quite disparaging about city people and find endless source for amusement in the (supposed) ignorance of city dwellers to the country and it's way of life. It is all very silly really and has been going on as long as I can remember, more than likely since man first began to live in towns and cities as opposed to those who farmed the land.

Maciamo,
I will first clearly state that I am French although I am not living in France anymore and being married with a German.

Well, I read the whole thread and I am pretty amazed by several things :

1/ Talking about "the french culture" you stated almost only negative things (the first 6 points you mentioned are critics more or less disguised).

2/ Your reference and therefore your "analyse" is not neutral but based on anglo-saxon books. Therefore, your way of talking about "French culture" is a comparison with the anglo-saxon one. Is the anglo-saxon THE culture we (human beings) have to refer to juge another one ?

These 2 points are related as these kind of english books treating about French culture are almost only critical or often simply the evidence of a lack of sensitivity (is that an english word?) and comprehension of another culture as theirs. Everyone could personnaly juge what culture is the most arrogant...
These 2 points have also in common to seem to be neutral or innocent although there are not. Maybe (and that's what I think) you didn't even notice that they were ideologically charged.

3/ Getting more specifics. I agree with some points. The 1st 3 for example. The 4th and 5th ones sound a little bit more problematic to my ears because there are a bit big (english) clichés that are mostly not true.

4/ The english language. Well, except that is again a typical pro-english motivated refraint, as someone said before me: French don't speak english to tourists cause they mostly cannot. As simple as that. And the explanation lies principaly in the way we learn foreign languages at school : "never speak, but listen and write". People don't trust themselves. beside, I'd like to add that : a/we don't have to speak english and it's disturbing to take that lack of knowledge (or lack of envy) as a reproach. No one has to to tell us we have to speak english (as harsh as it sounds). b/ other european countries don't do better. Spain, Italy for example. And young people in GB or Ireland can also only one language. For me it's basically the worst.

5/ Arrogance ? Actually, I never fully understood that point. But as a French abroad I often feel the arrogance of the others. Well, I guess, you never see "arrogance" in your own culture but it's basically in diverse forms in every culture. I lived in Germany and in many ways there are arrogant (well, problems come always from the others...). Not talking about the Danish with their national flags everywhere (even on the birthday cake!) and their anti-european tendancies (well Danemark is better...), Italians and so on, it's endless...
One thing : "service" is different in France and in the US. The feeling that the french taxi driver or waiter is arrogant come often from the fact that he doesn't want to take the time to be polite and helpful with the american tourist.
And the last thing about that : how contradictory to say that the french dont show off with big cars/money and that they are arrogant ? In Germany cars are a very strong status symbol (as in the US), is that not a kind of arrogance (I have money and I show it to you/you don't have this car so you're poor ...) ?

6/ However, I would add : the need for being independant (well, contrary to Germans we never considered ourselves "inferiors" to Americans). Which can been seen as "arrogance".
Also : as the British (we have many common points to my opinion), we had an empire, we lost it and our prestige, we are very critical towards ourselves and tend to dislike us a lot as in the same time we love ourselves and are secretely very proud of being what we are. Hence, like the British we are in a kind of "identity crisis".

7/ Playing with our language is very important. There is a lot of humour in the french society. Words are often used in 2 different meanings at the same tme which lead to ambiguity. We play (I mean the ones who can and care for that) a lot with it. Hence, our society is very "sexualised". Language play a strong part in this sexualisation of the society. That is very french !

8/ Down on earth. As the Germans and unlike the British, French generally don't like to spend the money they don't have on their accounts.

9/I disagree with your sentence : "France is a very vertical society, where people look up to the boss, and speech is very formal and distant. It contrasts with the much more egalitarian approach of Germanic people". Actually I agree with the part about France but it's the same or worse in Germani countries such as Germany, Austria or Switzerland where titles are eveywhere in the public life (on the ring bell you are Dip. Ing. etc) and where hierarchy is as strongly seeable as in France if not worse sometimes. Scandinavians are much more informal. And of course THE reference : the US and the Brits...

10/ you wrote : "The French take cheating more lightly, almost as an inevitable part of life". Wow. Yes and now. Reading that could lead to believe everyone is cheating all the time. It's a very serious question and a source of broken families and divorces. That is not taken lightly, there is simply less hypocrasy than in the anglo-saxon societies and less puritanism and morality. And as you added : "It's interesting that in that regard the French are culturally closer to the Japanese". Well, maybe because as the Japanese, French are pretty much laics. Well, I guess that's again a very positive french thing you failed to notice.
But this is huge boll***s : "with the notable difference that the French are less scrupulous about dissimulating their affairs (the French would have sex with their extra-marital lovers at work, in a car or even in the conjugal bed)". This is an americanised view of France. Ridiculous.

2/ Your reference and therefore your "analyse" is not neutral but based on anglo-saxon books. Therefore, your way of talking about "French culture" is a comparison with the anglo-saxon one. Is the anglo-saxon THE culture we (human beings) have to refer to juge another one ?

My point of view cannot be an "Anglo-Saxon" one since I am a native French speaker with relatives in France. I have met French people from all parts of France, studied with French people, worked with French people, frequented French expat communities abroad (e.g. in Japan), and watched French TV since I was a child like any French person. It's not because I am critical that I am biased. On the contrary, I believe that the only way to truly understand one's own culture is to distance oneself from it by living far away from it and embracing another culture for long enough to see things completely differently once you go back home. I did it several times, since I have lived in 6 non-Francophone countries and learnt the language and culture every time. Each of these experiences brought me new insight into my native culture. I did quote the work of two English writers here, but only because I agreed with these specific passages. It's really not much among all the books I have read, and sometimes English people can be right about the French, especially if like Richard Hill they have lived abroad most of their lives and a long time in France or Belgium.

It also made me realise that Francophone Belgium is really just another region of France, with its small regional peculiarities, but on the whole is overwhelmingly part of the French mainstream culture and way of thinking. In fact, southern regions like Auvergne or Languedoc are less similar to Parisian and North French culture than French-speaking Belgium is. Before living abroad, like most Belgians, I would never have agreed that the Francophone Belgians are so similar to the French, but viewed from a distance (be it India, Australia or Japan), it is painfully obvious.

As for the rest of your comments, it looks like you haven't been much out of France, except on holiday to neighbouring European countries. You keep comparing the French to the Brits, the Germans or the Italians, but I don't see any reference to the Indians, Thais, Chinese, Papuans or whatever other truly different culture. For example :

9/I disagree with your sentence : "France is a very vertical society, where people look up to the boss, and speech is very formal and distant. It contrasts with the much more egalitarian approach of Germanic people". Actually I agree with the part about France but it's the same or worse in Germani countries such as Germany, Austria or Switzerland where titles are eveywhere in the public life (on the ring bell you are Dip. Ing. etc) and where hierarchy is as strongly seeable as in France if not worse sometimes. Scandinavians are much more informal.

You are comparing neighbouring countries with a common history going back to the Paleolithic (let's say 40,000 years ago), and that only split from each other in the Middle Ages (about 1000 years ago, although Alsace and Lorraine last switched in the 20th century). From a genetic point of view many North and East French people are nearly undistinguishable from West or Southwest Germans and the Swiss. When you know that a substantial part of the character (including national character) has its roots in our genes, it's pretty evident why the French and the Germans aren't that different, apart from their languages.

And of course THE reference : the US and the Brits...
This is an americanised view of France. Ridiculous.

Why would you think that I take the USA as a reference culture ? I personally never mentioned the US or Americans once ! (I did quote a passage of EuroManagers comparing the Americans and French, but the author is neither).

My point of view cannot be an "Anglo-Saxon" one since I am a native French speaker with relatives in France
Oh please Maciano, you take UK as a reference, it's obvious. You like France but not the French, that all...

Same conclusion with the threads "Greatest contributions to the world", you forget to mention a lot of French "contributions", but the English one is full...

Oh please Maciano, you take UK as a reference, it's obvious. You like France but not the French, that all...

Same conclusion with the threads "Greatest contributions to the world", you forget to mention a lot of French "contributions", but the English one is full...

The problem is not the "Greatest contributions..." thread but the sociological threads like "Do the French lack humour" that are only made on Maciamo's personal impressions

That's not true at all. The list of French contributions is the longest (along with the British) of the 16 lists I have made. I have used all the 20 fields available in the poll and had to pack as much as possible into each category. What would you have added to the list, and instead of what ?

The problem is not the "Greatest contributions..." thread but the sociological threads like "Do the French lack humour" that are only made on Maciamo's personal impressions

So mistaken again. I thought I was clear at the beginning of that thread when I wrote "I admit that I prefer the French style of witty humour and wordplays to the light-hearted and self-derisory British humour." I was actually contesting what the Economist wrote.

Anyway, I think that the reactions of the French members to this thread have shown another facet of the French mentality : they cannot accept criticism of their culture because they see it as superior to other cultures.

So mistaken again. I thought I was clear at the beginning of that thread when I wrote "I admit that I prefer the French style of witty humour and wordplays to the light-hearted and self-derisory British humour." I was actually contesting what the Economist wrote.

Anyway, I think that the reactions of the French members to this thread have shown another facet of the French mentality : they cannot accept criticism of their culture because they see it as superior to other cultures.

Why should anyone accept criticism, if one knows that an opinion is valid and true.
Americans and English often offend the French, I don't understand why.
The Belgians, are a bunch of imitators of French and Dutch culture, or even German!!!
Goddamn! Be proud of your own culture!

My ancestors are Celts, and come from Belgium and Northern France for sure!
I am proud of it, NOT to be Dutch or Belgian, but CELTIC!

If there is one country in Europe that wounded continental Europe with many wars over and over again, it's the English. Or the Normans. The Vikings and the Saxons.

Did you ever read some history? :useless:

Ricardo,
During the final of the world cup 2006 (France - Italy) I was on an italian cruse ship in the Mediteranean.
So I watched and cheered my team (France) alone with my wife in the middle of thousands of Italians. I can tell you, Italians are quite chauvinistic when it comes to their team. When Zidane head quicked the Italian, I thought they would throw me overboard.

Also dont talk to an Italian about Mona Lisa because as a frenchman you might be treated just short of a thief...

I guess in a sense every country wants to be respected; if one country starts to believe that someone else is trying to take over, the locals will draw the claws; the question is how deep is that chauvinism and under pressure how hard will you fight to defend your way of life....

Riccardo*
You made a typical Spanish mistake, they use to call me Ricardo. xD
Anyhow, if we're talking about football ok, you're right, and add that there's a BIG rivalry beetween Italy and France. But it's really rare to find a chauvinist Italian! The most of us think that Italy is full of problems and Italians are full defects, on the contrary of many people that I heard from other countries.

Maciamo

I said that your point of view is anglo-saxon because YOU started this thread by quoting english or american writers. Because wherever you come from, YOUR guideline is definitely an anglo-saxon one. And I stand by my previous comment or please just bring anything serious to discuss this point of view, anything else that "I come from Wallonie..."
Beside, that only answer you gave leads to the question of your own identity. And the fact that you discovered very late and painfuly (I quote you : "I would never have agreed that the Francophone Belgians are so similar to the French, but viewed from a distance it is painfully obvious") that your culture was also (well actually it's "mainly" and not "also") French gives some answers to why these contradictions toward the French culture. You're just pissed to be so French ! So be Belgian. Maybe it's impossible... but that's another question.

I've been out of France in many countries. I lived outside Europe. Maybe not as often as you. Maybe, but who cares. It's not a contest. Everyone has his own experiences but it doesn't seem that everyone has the same abilities to analyse a culture...
Ah that's just rich to say that I didn't quote Indians, Thai, Chinese or Papuans because ...you did not either, as far as I noticed you 're good at quoting english books, not much more.

You seem to stress one needs to have a critical point of view but your only words about French culture are negative ones. I started to give some positive aspects of the french culture without denying the negative ones. You can go on if you are of goodwill and are as neutral as you claim...
Don't pretend to be surprised if people react with criticism toward you. 1/Because it's unfair from your part to stress only the negative aspects. Or just rename the thread, please. 2/Because your critics are typical anglo-saxons ones that are to be read in every (bad) book about France written from an English journalist or a pseudo-neo-ethnologist traveling from Saint Germain des Près to Provence to buy overpriced wine and complaining about the coffee (yes, there are not many Starbucks in France, dear !).

All your text about my so-called comparison between France and Germany is totaly irrelevant. 1/ I never said that French and Germans are the same. 2/ your point about Paleolithic times is just pedantry that doens't bring anything intelligent to this conversation. And I don't even talk about your pseudo ethno-genetic analysis cause it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about.
You are able to start a thread about "the French culture" and then say : 'it's pretty evident why the French and the Germans aren't that different'.
Well, in my opinion, that seems enough to disqualify you for talking about the whole thread.
3/ well, you simply contradict yourself. I quote you again : "France is a very vertical society, where people look up to the boss, and speech is very formal and distant. It contrasts with the much more egalitarian approach of Germanic people". I replied saying : it's not true, France has similarities to "Germanic" countries. And now you tell me that: "it's pretty evident why the French and the Germans aren't that different". ... Well make up your mind !

So, what I don't like is :
- that you present and insist only about negative trends.
- that you try to pretend things are simple when they are actually much more complex.
- that you adopt a strong anglo-saxon point of view (you quote only english books). And the fact you don't really now what your own culture is gives some answers.
- that you pretend to have a "neutral" approach when you are biased and that "criticism is healthy". That is true but only when it's constructive but that's not your case.
- so I feel you are simply not honest. Maybe you're not even honest with yourself, first.

Last thing :
Maybe French people tend to see their culture as superior. Maybe I do in some extend. Maybe I am just honest and know what the good sides and the bad sides of my culture are. Maybe it's just my culture and I can't change it anyway. And I am very critical toward the French culture.
But to see it's own culture as superior is the case of every country in this world, dear. (Did you really travel with open eyes/ears and brian and met anyone) ? What is typical French for me is to think that "it's typical French to be proud of our own culture". In other terms, French are proud but tend to be the only ones to be ashamed to be proud. And then tend to be very critical towards themselves, wich is a kind of auto-destructive culture. This is the French culture we're living in.

Thank you

Maciamo

I said that your point of view is anglo-saxon because YOU started this thread by quoting english or american writers.

I didn't quote any American writer. Anyway I had to quote something in English for the purpose of this forum, as it is in English only. Stop wasting my time.

You're just pissed to be so French ! So be Belgian. Maybe it's impossible... but that's another question.

I am fed up with this kind of petty behaviour. I see myself as European and I am proud of my multicultural background (genetic, linguistic or other), be it French, German, Dutch or English. But you just got yourself banned for pissing me. Next time think before attacking the admin of a forum in your second post.

Ah that's just rich to say that I didn't quote Indians, Thai, Chinese or Papuans because ...you did not either, as far as I noticed you 're good at quoting english books, not much more.

Have you read all my posts on the forum, and my articles outside the forum (including the France Guide) and my other forums in link (Japan Forum and China Forum) ? Once you have read everything come again. I don't know you as you just signed up here, but you can know me and my opinions very easily. So before you make stupid assumptions about me, just read a bit of context before.

3/ well, you simply contradict yourself. I quote you again : "France is a very vertical society, where people look up to the boss, and speech is very formal and distant. It contrasts with the much more egalitarian approach of Germanic people". I replied saying : it's not true, France has similarities to "Germanic" countries. And now you tell me that: "it's pretty evident why the French and the Germans aren't that different". ... Well make up your mind !

It's hardly a contradiction. It's because you are uneducated. Germanic countries are essentially Scandinavia, the Netherlands and North Germany. Most of Germany was originally Celtic, and it is now Celto-Germanic, like Britain or Belgium or Northern and Eastern France. Simple people are easily deceived by words. It's not because a country is called Germany that it is the source of Germanic people (not any more than France is populated in majority by Frankish people). You cannot possibly understand anything I write if you make this kind of mistake. See things for what they truly are, not what people call them. To illustrate this, it's not because I write in English and quote works in English that my point of view is English (or "Anglo-Saxon" as the French stupidly insist on saying, although the Anglo-Saxon where an ancient tribe from North Germany/Netherlands, not any modern group of humans ; that is a term that annoys me every time I hear it).

So, what I don't like is :
- that you present and insist only about negative trends.

You will note that I have so far only written threads about the French and the Belgians (in this series) because they are the two cultures that I know the most intimately. That's also why I am more comfortable criticising them. But I don't understand how you can perceive everything I wrote here as negative. You are oversensitive. Saying that the French are râleurs or like complicated things (and actually that also applies to French-speaking Belgians - same mindset) is not exactly a well guarded secret, nor a personal opinion - it is more like a well-accepted truth among French speakers themselves. No administration is more complex than the French and Belgian ones. No people on earth are more ready to complain about work or go on strike than French speakers.

- that you try to pretend things are simple when they are actually much more complex.

Do you want me to write a book ? How many of my threads or articles about France have you read ? All of them ? Have I been less critical of other countries ? You should try reading some of my articles about Japan or the USA ! I don't write enough positive stuff about France ? What about the list of greatest French contributions (all of them my suggestions), or when I earnestly defended the French when the Americans accused them of being cowards because they opposed the war in Iraq ? You are the kind of person who judges a book by opening a page in the middle and quote things out of context, except that here the book is Eupedia and the page is this thread. How do you expect to be taken seriously ?

Last edited:
Je continue en Français, après tout le linge sale se lave en famille^^

Tout d'abord je tenais à te préciser que nos remarques ne contiennent aucunes agressivités d'aucunes sortes, du moins je n'ai pas l'impression qu'il y en ait dans nos messages respectifs.
Ensuite ce n'est pas que l'on refuse d'être critiqué mais je trouve personnellement que tu nous charges énormément, pour toi nous sommes:
Arrogant
Fier
Chauvin
Feignant
Râleur
Condescendant
On est intolérant envers ceux qui parlent mal notre langue
Même tarif pour les étragners aux forts accents
Elitiste
On rigole des gens dans leurs dos
On est trop formel
Notre langue est trop rigide
Etc...

Ca fait beaucoup quand même, non?
En plus tu nous dis ici même que l'on n'accepte pas les critiques, or on ne rejette pas TOUTES les critiques (oui on est chauvin/râleur/fier), mais certaines d'entre elles me semblent injustifiées et d'autres sont de vieux stéréotypes.
A la limite si tu faisais subir le même traitement de faveur aux autres pays je ne dirais rien, mais ce n'est pas le cas. La France est le seul pays pour lequel tu as créé autant de sujets aussi critiques.

Et concernant les topics "Greatest contributions..." tu t'es parfaitement appliqué pour celui de l'Angleterre et j'approuve tout ce que tu y mentionnes, c'est un très grand pays et tu as parfaitement choisi leurs plus beaux cadeaux, mais ce n'est pas la même chose pour nous, désolé.
Tu listes "la pétanque", "teffal", "la chanson Française" ou "la mongolfière", pourquoi?
Pourquoi ne pas avoir cité le système métrique, la chimie avec Lavoisier qui a découvert et listé presque tous les éléments connus, la médecine en générale (surtout la vaccination avec Auzias-Turenne et Pasteur), l'organisation des premières coupe du monde de rugby et de football, les innovations sociales ou encore l'encyclopédie?
C'est quand même plus valorisant qu'un sport marginal ou qu'une invention obsolète.

Enfin, ce n'est que mon avis^^

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 123192 times.

Back