Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

View Poll Results: What is the greatest empire that ever existed?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ancient Rome

28 35.90%
  • Alexander the Great's Empire

4 5.13%
  • Byzantine Empire

2 2.56%
  • Ottoman Empire

3 3.85%
  • Safavid Empire

0 0%
  • Genghis Khan empire

4 5.13%
  • Mughal Empire

0 0%
  • Han China (202 BC to 220AD)

4 5.13%
  • Ming & Qing China (1368 to 1911)

1 1.28%
  • Aztec Empire

0 0%
  • Inca Empire

0 0%
  • Holy Roman Empire

1 1.28%
  • Spanish Empire of 16th to 19th century

4 5.13%
  • Napoleon's empire

0 0%
  • British empire of 17th to 20th century

18 23.08%
  • The Third Reich/Nazi Germany

0 0%
  • Imperialist Japan (1940's)

1 1.28%
  • Other empire

8 10.26%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the greatest empire ever existed?

The Angel of Justice Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Northeast Greenhills, San Juan, Manila, Philippines

Ethnic group
    Chinese

What is the greatest empire ever existed?

Please enlighten me with your opinions why the empire you voted for is great.

I would probably vote on Khan empire (founded by Genghis Khan) because it encompasses most of Asia and had a lasting impct on the civilization. However, it didn't live long.

But I was thinking about Spanish empire or British empire. Spanish empire covers most of the New World. Britain had its share of territory in Asia, Africa and Americas. Britain also became a naval superpower from 1692 to 1940, but Britain's power had waned in the 20th century and Spain's power declined in late 19th century due to the revolutions and independence declarations from their colonies. So England's glory lasted for two or three centuries since 17th century and Spain's glory lasted for three centuries since 16th century.

Ancient Rome is also a great empire which had influenced the Western civilization.

Mughal empire had significant influence on Indian history as well.

Ottoman empire lasted for more than 600 years from 1299 to 1908 and had quite many achievements but Ottoman power waned in 1683 after the Battle of Vienna. It continued to live even after its decline but grew weaker.

Byzantine Empire and Alexander The Great's Empires were pretty great empires.

I would hardly consider Holy Roman Empire, Louis XIV's empire and Napoleon Empire since they were either weak, decadent or lasted shorter than a dog's life.

Southern Sun Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 0%

Ethnic group
    Albanian

I would say the Roman Empire..... it spread european civilization in our continent and is the foundation of evropa.

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 81.0%

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

In matter of size, population, administration, durability, cultural tolerance and long-term effects, the British Empire was the greatest. The Roman Empire comes second. How comes the Chinese Empire (at least Han to Tang period, or Ming to Qing) is not in the list ?

Southern Sun Achievements:
    Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 510

Ethnic group
    Albanian

True the british empire was greater however one ponders about the positive effects it had upon human civilization. We need only to look at the middle east conflicts, kashmir, Africa and what not to get a feel about the british legacy in the world they conquered ;)

Horizon Rider Achievements:
    1 year registered

I'm torn between the Ancient Roman empire and the British empire, for different reasons; however, I'm not going to vote for anything because I simply don't know enough about the other empires mentioned to make a reasoned decision. *contemplates how long it would take to read enough history books to get a balanced knowledge*

目録 Achievements:
    1 year registered

What about Pax Americana?

MYV Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Miyavizm

The Romans THE ROMANS! They really had it all: Fine arts, culture, war tactics, knowledge and science. Besides, they had such an interesting religion...

Happy Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    China

Empire ?It must have emperor! And who is the emperor now! I think no empire existe now!

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by 4321go
    Empire ?It must have emperor! And who is the emperor now! I think no empire existe now!
    Japan has an emperor, but interestingly it's not an empire anymore. Anyway, the topic is about historical empires, which have all disappeared.

Horizon Rider Achievements:
    1 year registered

I have an empire!

Nuff said.

The Angel of Justice Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Northeast Greenhills, San Juan, Manila, Philippines

Ethnic group
    Chinese

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    How comes the Chinese Empire (at least Han to Tang period, or Ming to Qing) is not in the list ?
    My knowledge of world history sill leaves a lot to be desired.

DON'T PANIC! Achievements:
    1 year registered

How about Ancient Egypt? They were responsible for innovations in writing, art, engineering (including architecture and irrigation), mathematics, agriculture, medicine and international relations.

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel
    Please enlighten me with your opinions why the empire you voted for is great.

I would probably vote on Khan empire (founded by Genghis Khan) because it encompasses most of Asia and had a lasting impct on the civilization. However, it didn't live long.

But I was thinking about Spanish empire or British empire. Spanish empire covers most of the New World. Britain had its share of territory in Asia, Africa and Americas. Britain also became a naval superpower from 1692 to 1940, but Britain's power had waned in the 20th century and Spain's power declined in late 19th century due to the revolutions and independence declarations from their colonies. So England's glory lasted for two or three centuries since 17th century and Spain's glory lasted for three centuries since 16th century.

Ancient Rome is also a great empire which had influenced the Western civilization.

Mughal empire had significant influence on Indian history as well.

Ottoman empire lasted for more than 600 years from 1299 to 1908 and had quite many achievements but Ottoman power waned in 1683 after the Battle of Vienna. It continued to live even after its decline but grew weaker.

Byzantine Empire and Alexander The Great's Empires were pretty great empires.

I would hardly consider Holy Roman Empire, Louis XIV's empire and Napoleon Empire since they were either weak, decadent or lasted shorter than a dog's life.

The greatest Empire for me is my future,as it is mine

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuyoiko
    How about Ancient Egypt? They were responsible for innovations in writing, art, engineering (including architecture and irrigation), mathematics, agriculture, medicine and international relations.
    Egypt was a kingdom. It's best compared to England or France before having their colonial empire. Empires are usually kingdoms that extend by taking over many other countries/kingdoms and create a vast, multicultural political entity. A great empire would be one that manage to keep this multicultural entity long enough and manage it well. The British Empire wins in that sense, as it has so to say survived to this day with the Commonwealth of Nations, and played an important role in asserting English as the world's lingua franca.

Wanderer Achievements:
    1 year registered

Does the Civilization games' empires count?

Happy Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    China

How about Arabian Empire! It was an important intermediator of east and west  ^_^
    As to "British empire of 17th to 20th century " It is reason to why we use English here , too large colony it been have! so English become universal language now!

Happy Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    China

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mamoru-kun
    Does the Civilization games' empires count?

"Civilization games' empires ?" you make a joke ! ^_^ .

I think the "Civilization" is a difficult game for play ,It needs patient. However,It is very popular!

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

How about Arabian Empire! It was an important intermediator of east and west  ^_^
    As to "British empire of 17th to 20th century " It is reason to why we use English here , too large colony it been have! so English become universal language now!
    Maybe you mean the Ottoman Empire that ruled the Middle-East from the 15th century to 1918. The Arabs took over a lot of land in their jihad, creating a Muslim world from Spain to Central Asia, but it was not politically unified, and thus was not an empire.

The Hairy Wookie Achievements:
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Level
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 58

Ethnic group
    English

Egypt was a kingdom. It's best compared to England or France before having their colonial empire. Empires are usually kingdoms that extend by taking over many other countries/kingdoms and create a vast, multicultural political entity. A great empire would be one that manage to keep this multicultural entity long enough and manage it well. The British Empire wins in that sense, as it has so to say survived to this day with the Commonwealth of Nations, and played an important role in asserting English as the world's lingua franca.
    Egypt did have an empire. During the reign of Ramases II it stretched almost all the way to the Hittite empire, which is modern day Turkey, and covered where Israel and Lebanon are now. Over 3000 years of the ancient Egyptian civilisation, this was when it was almost at it's maximun size. Ancient Egypt was also a very multicultural society. Like most empires/knigdoms it will wax and wane.

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by Mycernius
    Egypt did have an empire. During the reign of Ramases II it stretched almost all the way to the Hittite empire, which is modern day Turkey, and covered where Israel and Lebanon are now. Over 3000 years of the ancient Egyptian civilisation, this was when it was almost at it's maximun size. Ancient Egypt was also a very multicultural society. Like most empires/knigdoms it will wax and wane.
    Yes, but that was an Empire hardly bigger than Egypt itself. Then, I don't see how it could be greater than Alexander's Empire or the Roman Empire, which were both bigger, more developed and more muticultural. Among the two best remembered structures in Egypt (the Pyramids and the Pharos/Lighthouse of Alexandria), one was built under Greek rule, which did not last a tenth of the length of the Egyptian rule (300 year against over 3000 years).

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

I think the "Civilization" is a difficult game for play ,It needs patient. However,It is very popular!
    I played Civilization since the first version, and especially at the time of Civilization II (only a bit Civ III). It's the only game I have played seriously in the last 10 years ! I would rank it as the best game ever made.

DON'T PANIC! Achievements:
    1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by Mycernius
    Yes, but that was an Empire hardly bigger than Egypt itself. Then, I don't see how it could be greater than Alexander's Empire or the Roman Empire, which were both bigger, more developed and more muticultural. Among the two best remembered structures in Egypt (the Pyramids and the Pharos/Lighthouse of Alexandria), one was built under Greek rule, which did not last a tenth of the length of the Egyptian rule (300 year against over 3000 years).
    I suppose it depends how you define 'greatest'. If by 'greatest' you mean most widespread, then Maciamo is right. But if you define 'greatest' some other way, then Egypt is definitely a contender. It is my favourite ancient civilization, probably because I know more about it than any of the others. But if you want more objective reasons, how about these:
    - the world's first known peace treaty was between the Egyptians and the Hittites
    -the world's earliest historical document tells of the unification of upper and lower Egypt
    -international trade; Egypt was exporting wine to Israel over 5000 years ago.
    -there is some evidence that the Egyptians traded with South Americans; cocaine, which is indigenous to the Andes, has been found in Egyptian mummies.
    -Pharoah Sahure is a good example of Egypt's international interests

I've just mentioned stuff about Egypt as an empire, although it was great for many other reasons.

Happy Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    China

Maybe you mean the Ottoman Empire that ruled the Middle-East from the 15th century to 1918. The Arabs took over a lot of land in their jihad, creating a Muslim world from Spain to Central Asia, but it was not politically unified, and thus was not an empire.
    Not Ottoman Empire. It is more early! Which (632—1258)at the same time of Tang dynasty of China.

"Arabian nights" tell the story of that time!

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%98%...B8%9D%E5%9B%BD

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

Not Ottoman Empire. It is more early! Which (632―1258)at the same time of Tang dynasty of China.

"Arabian nights" tell the story of that time!

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%98%...B8%9D%E5%9B%BD
    There was no Arab Empire. There were just many Caliphates (Damascus, Baghdad, Cordoba...). They were all Arabic-speaking and Muslim, but it was not politically unified.

Happy Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    China

Em~ I see ~ only unified in culture and religion.

One question to ask: Does the Arab people speak and use the same language or letter
    till now? If it does, I think the Arab country will have the chance to became one country.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast