Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite quotations

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Anglo-Irish-Norse

Here's a gloomy one .... but classic ...

"... ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee ...!" (John Donne)

ジョン

1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Russian

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuikan San
    Here's a gloomy one .... but classic ...

"... ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee ...!" (John Donne)
    but it loses it`s charm without "No man is an Island...."

1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Anglo-Irish-Norse

Agreed!

(..... but that was gonna make it a tad long ....!):)

ジョン

1 year registered

"It is good to be wise, but not too wise--for a wise man's heart is seldom glad." -- The Elder Edda. (Basicly the viking equivalent of the bible)

"Being human is a mistake we all have to make in order to learn from it in the next life" -- me

And my personal favorite:

"A facillity for quotation covers for the absence of origional thought."

DON'T PANIC! Achievements:
    1 year registered

Douglas Adams was a great bloke. Not only was he one of the funniest people who ever lived, he could be quite profound at times too. Even funny and profound at the same time.

• If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat. Life is a level of complexity that almost lies outside our vision; it is so far beyond anything we have any means of understanding that we just think of it as a different class of object, a different class of matter; 'life', something that had a mysterious essence about it, was God given, and that's the only explanation we had. The bombshell comes in 1859 when Darwin publishes 'On the Origin of Species'. It takes a long time before we really get to grips with this and begin to understand it, because not only does it seem incredible and thoroughly demeaning to us, but it's yet another shock to our system to discover that not only are we not the centre of the Universe and we're not made of anything, but we started out as some kind of slime and got to where we are via being a monkey. It just doesn't read well.
    • The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful.
    • I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.
    • I've heard an idea proposed, I've no idea how seriously, to account for the sensation of vertigo. It's an idea that I instictively like and it goes like this. The dizzy sensation we experience when standing in high places is not simply a fear of falling. It's often the case that the only thing likely to make us fall is the actual dizziness itself, so it is, at best, an extremely irrational, even self-fulfilling fear. However, in the distant past of our evolutionary journey toward our current state, we lived in trees. We leapt from tree to tree. There are even those who speculate that we may have something birdlike in our ancestral line. In which case, there may be some part of our mind that, when confronted with a void, expects to be able to leap out into it and even urges us to do so. So what you end up with is a conflict between a primitive, atavistic part of your mind which is saying "Jump!" and the more modern, rational part of your mind which is saying, "For Christ's sake, don't!"

(I actually think that's true. I get vertigo, and that's exactly how it feels to me - I'm afraid that I won't be able to stop myself from jumping.)
    • If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.

Please click the link, or I will go on forever!

1 year registered

Haha, those are still awesome even all these years later--I really need to go back and read the rest of the books.

My personal favorites?

• If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat.

• It takes a long time before we really get to grips with this and begin to understand it, because not only does it seem incredible and thoroughly demeaning to us, but it's yet another shock to our system to discover that not only are we not the centre of the Universe and we're not made of anything, but we started out as some kind of slime and got to where we are via being a monkey. It just doesn't read well.

• So what you end up with is a conflict between a primitive, atavistic part of your mind which is saying "Jump!" and the more modern, rational part of your mind which is saying, "For Christ's sake, don't!"

• If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.

And of course:
    • "So long and thanks for all the fish!"

Compulsive Writer Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Mostly European

I have one, I can't remember where it's from, but I'll never forget it, because my family has been touched with this kind of thing...

"Don't complain of growing old ~ it is a privilege denied to many."

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791)
    • "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius."
    • "A man of ordinary talent will always be ordinary whether he travels or not; but a man of superior talent (which I cannot deny myself to be without being impious) will go to pieces if he remains forever in the same place...."

Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)
    • Anyone who tells a lie has not a pure heart, and cannot make a good soup.
    • What you are, you are by accident of birth; what I am, I am by myself. There are and always will be thousands of princes, but there is only one Beethoven.

Marie Curie (1867-1934)
    • Be less curious about people and more curious about ideas.
    • You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful.

Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)
    • "Life has no meaning a priori … It is up to you to give it a meaning, and value is nothing but the meaning that you choose."

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

Just one I heard today that I found quite funny : "Helping people is never so rewarding than when it's in your own self-interest."

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

"I love humanity, it's people I can't stand"

I think that this quotation is attributed to more than one person. I personally told myself something very similar many times before I heard it on TV.

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

"It is a beautiful world with people blissfully living in abject ignorance."

Travel memoirs, Maciamo

The enigma. Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Chinese

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there." - LP Hartley, 1953

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by Supervin
    "The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there." - LP Hartley, 1953
    I suppose that this LP Hartley is American. This just sounds so typically American. When I go to France or Luxembourg, it doesn:t feel like a foreign country at all. Things are done pretty much the same way. I guess that Scandinavians have the same feeling among them.

The enigma. Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Chinese

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    I suppose that this LP Hartley is American. This just sounds so typically American. When I go to France or Luxembourg, it doesn:t feel like a foreign country at all. Things are done pretty much the same way. I guess that Scandinavians have the same feeling among them.
    LP Hartley's British.

I think you were quick to jump the gun there. The quote refers to the past being like a foreign country. The past can refer to one's own past or in generic terms which is opposed to the present and future.

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by Supervin
    LP Hartley's British.
    I think you were quick to jump the gun there. The quote refers to the past being like a foreign country. The past can refer to one's own past or in generic terms which is opposed to the present and future.
    I understand that the past can seem "foreign". I just disagreed with the part "they do things differently [in foreign countries]", hence my examples of foreign countries where culture is very similar. I could also have given examples of a same country where people "do things differently" (=have a different culture) depending on the region : Belgium (Flanders vs Wallonia), the UK (England isn't Scotland not Northern Ireland !), India (can't compare Kerala and Sikkhim), China (Tibet is hardly similar to Hong Kong)... As a Brit, Hartley ought to have known better.

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

Time to revive this thread.

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908-2006)

• "Economic and social behaviours are complex, and to comprehend their character is mentally tiring. Therefore we adhere, as though to a raft, to those ideas which represent our understanding."
    • "It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled sea of thought."
    • "The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."
    • "Humility is not always compatible with truth."
    • "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    • "One of my greatest pleasures in my writing has come from the thought that perhaps my work might annoy someone of comfortably pretentious position. Then comes the realization that such people rarely read."

Horizon Rider Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ooooh, quotations!

"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.” (Michel de Montaigne)

"The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." (John Milton)

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong." (Joseph Chilton Pearce)

"You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through." (Rosalynn Carter)

"Hatred is just a failure of the imagination." (Graham Greene)

"Confidence is the sexiest thing a woman can have." (Aimee Mullins)

"You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough." (Frank Crane)

"Everyone's brains boilin' in turpentine an' their teeth fallin' out all up an' down the street, that'll just suit me fine..." (Woody Guthrie - Mean Talkin' Blues)

Obnubilis Contractum Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 0%

"Kids lie all the time, but a man is only as good as his word."

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

A few quotes about religion :

• "When you understand why you reject all other gods, you will understand why I reject yours as well."
    • "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful." Seneca the Younger
    • "Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable. A man full of faith is simply one who has lost (or never had) the capacity for clear and realistic thought. He is not a mere ass; he is actually ill. Worse, he is incurable." Henry Louis Mencken
    • "Faith and knowledge are related as the scales of a balance; when one goes up the other goes down. "Arthur Schopenhauer
    • "Gods don't kill people. People with gods kill people."

Some other good stuff of the kind to put on t-shirts or stickers here.
    Last edited by Maciamo; 03-11-07 at 23:08.

No Beer No Point Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Irish

Quote:Originally Posted by Maciamo

I think perhaps Hartley was suggesting that a man of 40 may look back at the actions he took when 20 and concider them so strange or out of his present character its as do a complete stranger had done them but a foreign country puts it far more simply and clearly.

Oscar Wilde on his death bed - Either those curtins go or I do.

Voltaire - God is not on the side of the big Battalions but the best shots.

General George Patton - I would prefer 2 German Divisions in front of me than 1 French behind.

1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Polish-Irish-Austrian-English

Smile On the lighter side?

"One inch more, I would be king. One inch less, I would be Queen."
    Shakespeare, or my wife.
    It's a cruel world!

Horizon Rider Achievements:
    1 year registered

One that I'm beginning to empathise with...

"The music business is a cruel & shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free & good men die like dogs for no good reason............there is also a negative side."
    (Hunter S Thompson)

1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Dutch from Indonesia

"Keep your mind busy to accomplish things; keep your mind open to understand things!

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

“Grau, treur Freund, ist alle Theorie, und grün des Lebens goldner Baum” soit « Grise, cher ami, est toute théorie, et vert l’arbre dorée de la vie » Goethe, Faust

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic

Epictetus (55-135)

• ...you consider yourself to be only one thread of
      those which are in the tunic. Well then it was fitting for you to take
      care how you should be like the rest of men, just as the thread has no
      design to be anything superior to the other threads. But I wish to
      be purple, that small part which is bright, and makes all the rest
      appear graceful and beautiful. Why then do you tell me to make
      myself like the many? and if I do, how shall I still be purple?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast