Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

View Poll Results: Are all humans equal at birth ? (choose ALL that apply)

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1.1 All human are equal in rights

    16 55.17%
  • 1.2 Men and women are not equal in rights

    5 17.24%
  • 1.3 Some races have more rights than others

    4 13.79%
  • 1.4 Some individual have more rights than others

    10 34.48%
  • 2.1 All humans are born intellectually equal (only education and experience differenciate them)

    2 6.90%
  • 2.2 Men and women's brains differ considerably

    11 37.93%
  • 2.3 Intelligence varies considerably across races

    6 20.69%
  • 2.4 Every individual is born with a unique intelligence

    14 48.28%
  • 3.1 All humans are born with equal physical strength and abilities

    0 0%
  • 3.2 Men and women have considerably different physical strength and abilities

    15 51.72%
  • 3.3 Physical strength and abilities varies considerably across races

    8 27.59%
  • 3.4 Every individual is born with unique physical strength and abilities

    13 44.83%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 57

Thread: Are humans all born equal ?

  1. #26
    目録 Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Index's Avatar
    Join Date
    26-02-05
    Posts
    170


    Country: Poland





    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    In most/all Western countries where there is male conscription, women have the right to serve in the army if they want to (as career soliders). Men are forced to join the army for a certain period of time (like in France), while women have the right not to join.
    I don't see this train of thought going any further than it has so I won't make any more comments, except to point out that the above statement you have made seems to me to be missing the point-I stated that women do not have the right to take part in combat roles in the military, not that women do not have the right to join the military. In any case, in your example, men also have the right not to join, thought they do not have the right to ignore conscription. To talk about women having the right to avoid consription is a moot point by the way, since they are not conscripted in the first place.

  2. #27
    gunjin Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Carlson's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-10-05
    Location
    Tokyo
    Age
    28
    Posts
    50


    Country: Japan



    well thats f*cked up im only 1 to pick All humans are born intellectually equal (only education and experience differenciate them)

    and its true..

    every person on this earth was born the same.. sperm of a father and egg of a mother... when you young the only thing you care about is eating, sleeping, and going number 2...

    when you start adding education and experience... things change... im going to up to strech the meaning of experience a little.. basicaly opportunity..

  3. #28
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    6,578
    Points
    341,419
    Level
    100
    Points: 341,419, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%


    Ethnic group
    Celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Quote Originally Posted by Carlson
    well thats f*cked up im only 1 to pick All humans are born intellectually equal (only education and experience differenciate them)

    and its true..

    every person on this earth was born the same.. sperm of a father and egg of a mother... when you young the only thing you care about is eating, sleeping, and going number 2...
    You are obviously forgetting that no every brain at birth has the same potential (number of neurons, proportion of grey matter to white matter, etc.)

  4. #29
    gunjin Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Carlson's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-10-05
    Location
    Tokyo
    Age
    28
    Posts
    50


    Country: Japan



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    You are obviously forgetting that no every brain at birth has the same potential (number of neurons, proportion of grey matter to white matter, etc.)
    but they are all equal.. say a child has 200% neurons then another child.. it dont matter only thing they can do is be a blob on the floor.. no child is self sufficient at birth. the topic asks if all humans are born equal... not post birth..

    i just like to argue for the sake of argueing...

  5. #30
    DON'T PANIC! Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tsuyoiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-03-05
    Posts
    985


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Carlson
    but they are all equal.. say a child has 200% neurons then another child.. it dont matter only thing they can do is be a blob on the floor.. no child is self sufficient at birth. the topic asks if all humans are born equal... not post birth..

    i just like to argue for the sake of argueing...
    I can see where you are coming from with this argument - I think you are saying that since all babies can do virtually nothing they are all intellectually equal. But I think even at birth babies can do slightly more than nothing, and that what they can do differs between individuals. I can't think of an example though, because as you imply, it is hard to see what a newborn can do intellectually. Still, Maciamo is right that each individual's brain physiology is different, so I think his argument gets my vote.

  6. #31
    Horizon Rider Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Kinsao's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-05-05
    Location
    England
    Age
    35
    Posts
    596


    Country: United Kingdom



    Well, for example, some babies show more "activity" of their brain shortly after birth than others. Like, some would react to a noise, turn their head in the direction of the noise, others maybe not (if their brain/hearing wasn't so sensitive to it). But it's hard to tell without measuring their brain waves because it might just be their physical reactions that are fewer (i.e. not turning their head) and no difference in the way the brain received and processed the sound (they heard it just as clearly).

    Also, development speed changes... a baby who is slow at learning things for 2 years (for instance), might learn very quickly from ages 5 to 7... it's difficult to predict...

  7. #32
    gunjin Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Carlson's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-10-05
    Location
    Tokyo
    Age
    28
    Posts
    50


    Country: Japan



    Quote Originally Posted by Kinsao
    Well, for example, some babies show more "activity" of their brain shortly after birth than others.
    does it really matter?


    what were we talking about again...

  8. #33
    もうすぐ卒業するんだ! Achievements:
    1 year registered
    ragedaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-02-03
    Location
    The Midwest
    Age
    35
    Posts
    30


    Ethnic group
    Polish/Slovakian/Irish
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Carlson
    well thats f*cked up im only 1 to pick All humans are born intellectually equal (only education and experience differenciate them)

    and its true..

    every person on this earth was born the same.. sperm of a father and egg of a mother... when you young the only thing you care about is eating, sleeping, and going number 2...

    when you start adding education and experience... things change... im going to up to strech the meaning of experience a little.. basicaly opportunity..

    Are you are saying that you are intellectually equal to someone who is born with a mental handicap at birth? There are numerous diseases that already affect one's mental capacity at the time of birth. Also, look at geniuses, the majority of these people inherit their intelligence through genes as opposed to studying hardcore. I don't think one can say that everyone is born intellectually equally, but that's just my opinion.

  9. #34
    DON'T PANIC! Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tsuyoiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-03-05
    Posts
    985


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by ragedaddy
    I don't think one can say that everyone is born intellectually equally, but that's just my opinion.
    I would go further and say it's a well-established fact.

  10. #35
    Banned Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    13-12-10
    Location
    Brabant
    Age
    61
    Posts
    768

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a2* SNP P312

    Ethnic group
    Proto Celtic
    Country: Netherlands



    Hmm.. The man/woman discussion is not relevant. Statistically, women are more social in their behaviour, and that is natural. If you say man are better in maths, I know some women who are very clever in maths too.

    Every human being has a unique set of talents. By education you can learn to use these talents in a useful way.

    And of course children may have an advantage in the genes from their parents, but without a good education that advantage doesn't develop.

    So I only voted for..
    All humans are equal in rights.

    Every human being deserves a shelter, food, drink, teaching, freedom, and safety.

    It isn't hard to do.
    Just Imagine..
    A world without religion, without war.

    John Lennon, thank you.
    I may be a dreamer too..
    But I detest the piggies who abuse this world, just like you did.

  11. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    25-11-11
    Posts
    6


    Ethnic group
    African (aren't we all?)
    Country: Singapore



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    ok here is my humble opinion, very afraid to voice out really, you guys here really seem to know your stuff. and my internet-forum experience has been absolutely horrifying thus far, filled with ******, flamers and the likes. i can't believe such a polite and open minded forum like this exists!!! this is only my 2nd post here, and coming from a ***** filled background, please pardon me if don't live up to the standards. anyway, here goes.

    i believe the human mind is inherently incapable of quantifying and appreciating the concept of "equality". let me elaborate. we all know 1=1. and a=a, b=b. but is 1 apple = 1 orange? or we need not go that far even, we can't even say for certain if ANY apple is equivalent to ANY OTHER apple in absolute terms. if i were to task anyone, to find 2 apples of equal value, can anyone do it? ok here comes my opinion, i DO believe that there ARE 2 apples of equal value, just that we lack the ability to make that judgement. because we cannot quantify the value of ANY apple in the first place. so how are we to find another apple (or orange) of equal value? in short, we cannot place an absolute value to objects. not because there isn't a value, but we are INCAPABLE. what we ARE capable of, is placing a RELATIVE value to objects, and if i have myself clear, i think my point is obvious now already.

    Humans can ONLY place value to objects, subjects, situations, in RELATIVE terms. It is hardwired into us. If i ask u, how important is your watch, or your father, how do you answer? On the other hand, if i ask you which is MORE important, watch or your father, the answer is plainly obvious and without a single doubt. The habit of prioritizing, organizing and arranging based on RELATIVE value is simply ingrained into us. We simply HAVE to do it. It is human nature. And also a human flaw. I believe a computer for eg, if intelligent enough, would be able to place absolute values, maybe. but definitely NOT humans. and for this reason, humans can NEVER be equal, at least not in each others' eyes. I think i have a theory as to why we are so incapable, but this post is long enough already i think.

    Please critique. I can take any criticism, even flaming; what i cant take is being ignored lol.

  12. #37
    Elite member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Antigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-02-11
    Posts
    451
    Points
    4,192
    Level
    18
    Points: 4,192, Level: 18
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Greece



    Welcome rotunjere, I think it is a bit of a silly topic actually. It goes without saying that all humans should have equal rights and opportunities under law but on an individual basis, are all humans born with equal talents and abilities? No. If that were the case we'd all be millionairs, or great artists, or mathmaticians, or scientists, or electricians or even just toilet cleaners. But we are not, each and every one of us is different.

  13. #38
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    LeBrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-09
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    4,510
    Points
    29,131
    Level
    52
    Points: 29,131, Level: 52
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 619
    Overall activity: 99.1%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

    Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world
    Country: Canada-Alberta



    Quote Originally Posted by Antigone View Post
    Welcome rotunjere, I think it is a bit of a silly topic actually. It goes without saying that all humans should have equal rights and opportunities under law but on an individual basis, are all humans born with equal talents and abilities? No. If that were the case we'd all be millionairs, or great artists, or mathmaticians, or scientists, or electricians or even just toilet cleaners.
    We are lucky we are not born equal morons. We would have been stuck in caves or on trees for ever, lol.

  14. #39
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    LeBrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-09
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    4,510
    Points
    29,131
    Level
    52
    Points: 29,131, Level: 52
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 619
    Overall activity: 99.1%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

    Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world
    Country: Canada-Alberta



    Quote Originally Posted by rotunjere View Post
    Humans can ONLY place value to objects, subjects, situations, in RELATIVE terms. It is hardwired into us. If i ask u, how important is your watch, or your father, how do you answer? On the other hand, if i ask you which is MORE important, watch or your father, the answer is plainly obvious and without a single doubt. The habit of prioritizing, organizing and arranging based on RELATIVE value is simply ingrained into us. We simply HAVE to do it. It is human nature. And also a human flaw. I believe a computer for eg, if intelligent enough, would be able to place absolute values, maybe. but definitely NOT humans..
    Values as hierarchy for classifications are only a human and other mammals, or birds and some other animals. They don't exist in physics, or let's say beyond life. As you said it is hardwired into our brains by millions of years of evolution. Surely it is important to life on earth, and probably is related to making choices or more precisely the right choices to survive, find food and make offspring.
    If it come to AI/computers, any values would need to be set by humans. Otherwise for (not caring - from lack of emotions) computer there is no need for values, values or priorities wouldn't exist. For AI all things are equal, and it wouldn't even care for its own existence, unless people created value for AI life and programed it in. For AI the value of human life is the same as value of bacteria, or existence of grain of sand.
    However, one can argue that lack of values in AI would give any value value of 0, therefore making them all equal, as 0=0 and make all values absolute. But who would care if it doesn't exist, lol.

  15. #40
    Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    edao's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-02-10
    Location
    Britain
    Posts
    439
    Points
    14,047
    Level
    35
    Points: 14,047, Level: 35
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 3.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Country: UK - Scotland



    Quote Originally Posted by rotunjere View Post
    Humans can ONLY place value to objects, subjects, situations, in RELATIVE terms. The habit of prioritizing, organizing and arranging based on RELATIVE value is simply ingrained into us. We simply HAVE to do it. It is human nature.
    I agree as soon as you attribute value you create hierarchy as values are compared to each other. This is why socialist ideas of a removal of hierachy have never worked because it opposes our fundamental human nature. Capatalism on the other hand accepts hierachy. Even in our democratic systems we still create the one leader the king, emperor, lord, prime minister, president, we change the rules, the system, the name but our fundamental animal nature comes through every time.

    You will never remove the hierarchy unless to change the beast itself, perhaps genetic engineering will allow us to create pure equality, but we would cease to be human as we know it. The best human society can hope for is to make the hierarchy fairer with less of gap between the top and the bottom.

  16. #41
    Regular Member Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

    Join Date
    08-02-12
    Posts
    14

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    IDK, What to know!
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Yup what to knowalso

    Country: Bosnia & Herzegovina



    2.1 All humans are born intellectually equal (only education and experience differenciate them)



    Totally agree with this.

  17. #42
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Templar's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-10-11
    Posts
    575
    Points
    3,991
    Level
    18
    Points: 3,991, Level: 18
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Overall activity: 5.0%


    Ethnic group
    Paleolithic European
    Country: Bosnia & Herzegovina



    It is no coincidence that Black people excel in some Olympic sports (e.g. sprint)
    West African Bantus excel at sprinting, but are horrible at long-distance/endurance running, while East Africans excel at long-distance/endurance running and are pretty bad at sprinting. I think it is important to separate these two groups because they are different in far too many ways to be considered members of the same race. Just because they both have the same skin color doesn't justify it. Physiology is much more important when categorizing humans into races, rather than mere skin color.

  18. #43
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Riccardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-03-11
    Posts
    220
    Points
    3,309
    Level
    16
    Points: 3,309, Level: 16
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Italy



    I'd rather say that we are all equal at death. That's why I find power-obsessed people ridiculous, they are just living bad their life after their hidden pathology. And so worse people that envy them.
    Some kind of hierarchy is normal, of course. This doesn't mean that we shouldn't have the same opportunities and the same basical rights. I think it's stupid not to accept differences, but I think it's more stupid to use these differences to discriminate other people.

  19. #44
    Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

    Join Date
    21-11-11
    Posts
    3


    Ethnic group
    Balkan Mutt
    Country: USA - Washington



    No, people are not born equal, nor live as equal. There are several types of un-equalities we are subjects to:
    - biological - people are born with different physical capabilities, plus some are born with deficiencies, medical conditions etc that influence their whole lives and their performance.
    - social - peopel are born in different social conditions, in families that can range from rich and functional to very poor and disfunctional, with myriads of combinations and levels of functionality and standard of life.
    - political - people are born in a different political situations, in minorities or majorities, with myriad combinations of unequalities and different abilities to give chances to the kids born in them.

    Lastly, there are myriads of combinations between those 3 types of unequalities, that affect the life of each one of us. Being equal is a dream, not a reality, and most probably will always be only a dream. But this is what makes us human, no - that we dream and try to counter in some way those inequalities and level them a bit 0 but this is just human effort, not how we are born. We are born in random-ness, unequal, unpredictable, unknown - and most unfair.

  20. #45
    Junior Member Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points

    Join Date
    04-07-12
    Location
    New Rochelle,NY
    Posts
    5


    Ethnic group
    Ukrainian Jew
    Country: United States



    All people DESERVE equal rights, though unfortunately this has never been the case anywhere in the world because of prejudice and bias, which are universal phenomena .
    Not all people have equal intelligence, but intelligence is a very difficult thing to measure as far as I am
    concerned . I'm very skeptical about IQ measurements and don't believe you can measure intelligence
    with numbers . Some people have mental retardation , and others are geniuses who are brilliant in science, mathematics , music and other fields .
    One person can show brilliant intellectual ability in one field yet foolishness and stupidity in other areas .
    Intelligence has nothing to do with skin color . Brilliant intellects have come from all races and ethnic groups , as well as mediocre or stupid people . Nor does it have anything to do with gender .

  21. #46
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Overdrive1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    03-07-12
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    268
    Points
    3,028
    Level
    15
    Points: 3,028, Level: 15
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 11.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-m223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H64

    Ethnic group
    Irish, English, French, German, Swedish, and Finnish
    Country: United States



    Allow me to explain my rationale for my choices:

    I decided to vote for every choice excepting the egalitaria 1.1., 2.1, and 3.1.

    For questions of rights: Rights (as politically protected liberties) are exclusive to the given legal framework in which they are formed. As such, it is only natural the rights will differ based on race on a world wide scale, as well as by sex, and amongst individuals. In a given society, however, one could imagine a pure state of legal equality, although the ontological differences between men and women, for instance, ought to be recognized in differing roles in society and rights. Likewise, I see no reason why a nation ought to be compelled to accept diversity of races, excepting when they so choose to.

    For questions regarding intelligence: It is empirically justifiable to say that men are smarter than women and that some races are smarter than others on average. However, each individual does have a unique intelligence, and exceptions are found across the globe.

    For questions regarding strengths and abilities: The same as intelligence.

  22. #47
    Elite member Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1 year registeredTagger Second ClassThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    hope's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-02-12
    Posts
    613
    Points
    6,392
    Level
    23
    Points: 6,392, Level: 23
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 14.0%


    Country: UK - Northern Ireland



    Quote Originally Posted by JFWR View Post
    Allow me to explain my rationale for my choices:

    I decided to vote for every choice excepting the egalitaria 1.1., 2.1, and 3.1.

    For questions of rights: Rights (as politically protected liberties) are exclusive to the given legal framework in which they are formed. As such, it is only natural the rights will differ based on race on a world wide scale, as well as by sex, and amongst individuals. In a given society, however, one could imagine a pure state of legal equality, although the ontological differences between men and women, for instance, ought to be recognized in differing roles in society and rights. Likewise, I see no reason why a nation ought to be compelled to accept diversity of races, excepting when they so choose to.

    For questions regarding intelligence: It is empirically justifiable to say that men are smarter than women and that some races are smarter than others on average. However, each individual does have a unique intelligence, and exceptions are found across the globe.

    For questions regarding strengths and abilities: The same as intelligence.
    I am not sure what you mean by some "races" are smarter than others. Certainly some people in lesser developed countries may not have such easy access to education that we
    take for granted and this may effect their level of knowledge, but that is quite different from intelligence.
    Also in regards to men being smarter than women, mmmm.

    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...elligent-women

  23. #48
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Overdrive1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    03-07-12
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    268
    Points
    3,028
    Level
    15
    Points: 3,028, Level: 15
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 11.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-m223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H64

    Ethnic group
    Irish, English, French, German, Swedish, and Finnish
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by hope View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by some "races" are smarter than others. Certainly some people in lesser developed countries may not have such easy access to education that we
    take for granted and this may effect their level of knowledge, but that is quite different from intelligence.
    Also in regards to men being smarter than women, mmmm.

    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...elligent-women
    It is a matter of empirical science that the races are disparately intelligent. See the Bell Curve and also the work of Dr. Michael Levin of CUNY Grad (whom, to note, I studied under at one time).

    As for men v. women, your link speaks to the fact that men are more intelligent in IQ. As it notes, though, men also are more variably intelligent, with more imbeciles and geniuses than the more consistently average female.

    The talk about "height", however, is probably wrong in more ways than one. It does not at all correlate to racial studies, for instance. East Asians and Jews rank highest in average IQ, but are often short. Contrariwise, Sub-Saharan Africans have statistically the lowest intelligence on a whole and are widely noted as a very tall people. This seems to me like the study did not adequately address a potential correlation does not equal causation confusion, or else another reasonable issue.

    As a historical point, we can also point to the fact that men have a monopoly over intellectual and political achievements in all cultures and all times.

  24. #49
    Elite member Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1 year registeredTagger Second ClassThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    hope's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-02-12
    Posts
    613
    Points
    6,392
    Level
    23
    Points: 6,392, Level: 23
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 14.0%


    Country: UK - Northern Ireland



    Quote Originally Posted by JFWR View Post
    It is a matter of empirical science that the races are disparately intelligent. See the Bell Curve and also the work of Dr. Michael Levin of CUNY Grad (whom, to note, I studied under at one time).

    As for men v. women, your link speaks to the fact that men are more intelligent in IQ. As it notes, though, men also are more variably intelligent, with more imbeciles and geniuses than the more consistently average female.

    The talk about "height", however, is probably wrong in more ways than one. It does not at all correlate to racial studies, for instance. East Asians and Jews rank highest in average IQ, but are often short. Contrariwise, Sub-Saharan Africans have statistically the lowest intelligence on a whole and are widely noted as a very tall people. This seems to me like the study did not adequately address a potential correlation does not equal causation confusion, or else another reasonable issue.

    As a historical point, we can also point to the fact that men have a monopoly over intellectual and political achievements in all cultures and all times.
    You will forgive me as , for now, my reply must be brief.
    Firstly I am not a great lover of the Bell Curve, and I believe it was a study based mainly within Americas populations. It also stated, correct me if I am wrong, "whether" and "how" genes and environment had on ethnic differences remained "unsolved".
    As for dominion of men in politics, this is a completely different study more I feel inclined to the differences in society of the sexes rather than intelligence between
    the sexes. As we know women in history have never been urged on to be politically engaged. In fact women have had to struggle to be "engaged"
    in many power positions.
    As for sub-saharans lower intelligence, as you state, let us remember these countries have for a very long time been either under colonial dictatorship, capitalist abuse , poverty and disease. None of these factors make for good education.

  25. #50
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Overdrive1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    03-07-12
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    268
    Points
    3,028
    Level
    15
    Points: 3,028, Level: 15
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 11.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-m223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H64

    Ethnic group
    Irish, English, French, German, Swedish, and Finnish
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by hope View Post
    You will forgive me as , for now, my reply must be brief.
    Firstly I am not a great lover of the Bell Curve, and I believe it was a study based mainly within Americas populations. It also stated, correct me if I am wrong, "whether" and "how" genes and environment had on ethnic differences remained "unsolved".
    As for dominion of men in politics, this is a completely different study more I feel inclined to the differences in society of the sexes rather than intelligence between
    the sexes. As we know women in history have never been urged on to be politically engaged. In fact women have had to struggle to be "engaged"
    in many power positions.
    As for sub-saharans lower intelligence, as you state, let us remember these countries have for a very long time been either under colonial dictatorship, capitalist abuse , poverty and disease. None of these factors make for good education.
    Your reply was hardly brief and it is quite okay. I am busy, too! A brief one before I go for a while.

    I do not believe the Bell Curve study was able to address the precise mechanisms of why the races have disparate intelligence, only that it was seen to be the case. Joining that study (which as you said was American-focused in large part) with more broad studies, however, makes the findings even more convincing. IQ and the Wealth of Nations, for instance, finds that the lowest IQ nations are predictably in the areas from which the less intelligent races derive from.

    Also: As a note for the Bell Curve, the American focus on the test actually is really useful as it allows one to bypass arguments that there is a different culture, different backgrounds, et cetera. Americans of different races are more alike than different.

    In regards to women: Yes, women have never been encouraged, and have even had to fight for the ability to be, politically engaged. But this doesn't address the deeper issue of how this is almost universally found in populations. The predominance of male-dominance is a historical fact across cultures and times, to such an extent that it is impossible to conceive that there is not in some sense a "natural" cause for this. Matriarchies are few and far between (in fact: there are no pure matriarchies on record, though matrinlineal societies are found in some areas).

    I agree that Sub-Saharan African countries have faced a slew of problems, but this does not change the genetic aspects of intelligence. There is an improvement when conditions are better, but not a complete one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Are men and woman equal
    By deborah gormley in forum Psychology
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 11-02-14, 19:51
  2. Nine months later, Leterme I is born
    By Maciamo in forum EU politics & government
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-03-08, 21:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •