Greatest Ancient Roman contribution(s) to the world

What is/are the greatest Roman contribution(s) to the modern world?

• The Julian Calendar (including current names of the months)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • The Roman alphabet (the world's most widespread writing system)

• Latin language and descendants + influence on other European languages

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • The Roman legal system (basis of many European legal system to this day)

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • The Republic & Senate (inspiration for modern democracies)

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Architectural styles (arches & columns, domes, sculptures, frescoes, mosaics...)

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Aqueducts and viaducts (the world's first bridges to cross valleys)

• Concrete/mortar/cement

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Efficient highway system (still followed today by modern roads)

• Thermal baths, central heating and floor heating

• Mass entertainment : stadiums & amphitheatres (ancestors of modern stadiums)

• Festivals (Carnival, Christmas, etc. all have Roman origins)

• The 3 course meal (starter, main dish, desert)

• Wine-making (creating a lasting tradition in Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Romania...)

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters
Why didn't you stop after first paragraph? It was a good answer based on knowledge. That's what these discussions should be about, right?

What is the purpose of second paragraph?
This is a simple character assassination. The only purpose of it is to shame the person and hurt his feelings, and in process feel better yourself. In fact it doesn't say much about the subject, but it shows author's character.

Hope this explains. ;)

In fairness, I think the person who wrote the discussed codswallop was being provocative. He likely has no accurate idea about what the term "Moor" means. It's quite a complicated construct.

Oh, and just for the record: The word "moors" is used as an insult towards the muslims since the Middle Age. That was the main reason for me to correct Roni.

The fact that you think that I was trying to offend Roni just shows how ignorant you are.

Hope this explains. ;)

Oh, how logical and noble,......at first glance. I wish you could get out of your Ibero-centric world for a moment and check what the rest of the world thinks of it.
Word moor in Spanish is Moro. And surely Moro in Iberia is an insulting word, for known reason of long conflict with Moors.
The rest of the world uses words Moor, Maur, Mauri and their derivatives. For the rest of the world these words don't convey derogatory meanings and are not insulting. There are just names. Surprised?

Therefore there wasn't even a need to correct Roni, was it?

Secondly, if you corrected Roni using Arabic name Al Andalus, shouldn't you also use Arabic name for Moors? That would be very nice of you.

Good try lynx, but you have to do much better to convince me of your good intentions, and caring nature.

Ignorant? You couldn't resist calling names again. You're trying to hurt me, do you?:rolleyes:

Cheers

Secondly, if you corrected Roni using Arabic name Al Andalus, shouldn't you also use Arabic name for Moors? That would be very nice of you.

1) Arabs weren't the only muslims to invaded Iberia, there was also berbers and other ethnicities.

2) Andalucia isn't a translation of Al-Andalus, these are different things: Andalucia is a region of modern Spain. Al-Andalus coveraged part of Portugal and Spain (just ask Cambria Red). There are a few theories about the meaning of "Al-Andalus" (check it out)

I use to call things for its real name... and yes, you are showing to be an ignorant, again. And an a**hole I can add now.

Greetings.

PS: Next time you meet a morrocan or algerian, call him "moor", it should be fun. :)

And for the record (again) berbers don't speak arab, they (most of them) speak tamazight.

The original Berbers were not Arabic in any way. They became part Arabic when they mixed with the Arab invaders who advanced across North Africa in the 600s.

1) Arabs weren't the only muslims to invaded Iberia, there was also berbers and other ethnicities.

2) Andalucia isn't a translation of Al-Andalus, these are different things: Andalucia is a region of modern Spain. Al-Andalus coveraged part of Portugal and Spain (just ask Cambria Red). There are a few theories about the meaning of "Al-Andalus" (check it out)

I use to call things for its real name... and yes, you are showing to be an ignorant, again. And an a**hole I can add now.

Greetings.

PS: Next time you meet a morrocan or algerian, call him "moor", it should be fun. :)

In Portugal, Al-Andalus is generally interpreted as meaning land of the Vandals. The Vandals had control of Southern Iberia for a time, until they were driven out by the Visigoths.

And for the record (again) berbers don't speak arab, they (most of them) speak tamazight.

Yes, many Berbers speak tamazigh but only about 30% or so of "Berbers" descend from the original Eurasian stock. Those that are Eurasian continue to practice endogamy to protect their tribal lineage.

Even today some still fighting for the recognition of their identity:

marrakech%201er%20mai%202006.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo7Lc3frtH0

In Portugal, Al-Andalus is generally interpreted as meaning land of the Vandals. The Vandals had control of Southern Iberia for a time, until they were driven out by the Visigoths.

Yes, I am aware of this theory. Some claim that the arabic "Al-Andalus" came from the amazigh "tamort uandalos" which means Land of the Vandals indeed. I support this theory.

By the way, I voted for the Julian calendar, the roman alphabet and aquaduct in the poll.

Let's back to topic.

Oh, no!! :petrified:

Maciano... THEY VANDALIZED your thread !!

The thread was to talk about Roman culture!!

Don't worry, Maciamo already had to close several threads due to your obnoxious harassment toward Iberians, remember?. I don't think he gives a d*mn about this off-topic.

Greetings and Happy New Year. Be careful tonight in the streets of your city.

But apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Monthy Python, Life of Brian.

Yep it was a great line. Love the movie.

Well I'm no fan of the Romans... so I would point out that few of the advances mentioned were first to appear among the Romans. Harappan urban design was far superior, plumbing of course existed among many civilizations, including the Aztecs, who also had water-delivery systems bringing fresh water to their island capital from the hills.

Roman social organization has affected Europe quite negatively, being the basis for the aristocratic class structure and slave/serf economies which were disastrous for European people and have inflicted much pain upon the world generally since Columbus.

What is more generally overlooked is the great contribution of not only "Celtic" but also more indigenous European societies. Too often the schools pretend that European roots are all in Greece and Rome, and ignore the rest... this is not accurate... any more than are the Greek and Roman disparagements of the Celts and other "barbarians".

Rome was just an unfortunate burp between the Hellenistic and Byzantine civilisations.:LOL::LOL:

Well, I have just returned from a trip to China yesterday, and as is usually in alll real Chinese restaurant around the world, the Chinese indeed eat many dishes (sometimes called "course", although this is misleading here), which they all bring at the same time on a revolving table and are shared by al the guests.

QUOTE]

Agreed. I have spent quite a bit of time in Japan and Korea and the style in much the same. Koreans could look at a very large turkey, heaping bowls of potatoes and vegetables, and still view the table as not having a lot of food. They like to have many different things from which to choose, from early appetizers/condiments (some are both) to the main parts of the meal. It looks to me that the addition of some sort of dessert is a more modern thing that may have come from western influence.

An interesting note is that Koreans (in Korea) view going to Chinese restaurants much in the same way as do we.

PLEASE feel free to move this post- man, am I WAY off-topic!

I think that their Republican form of government was by far their greatest success.

But apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Monthy Python, Life of Brian.
The Romans can thank the Greeks and Near Easterners for all these gifts.

This thread has been viewed 577325 times.

Back