You Killed A Child, Now What ?

UFSI

Reaction score
You left a candle burning and a fire started, someone's child burns to death. You're talking on your cellphone while driving, not paying attention, and you run over a child at the side of a road. You let the neighbor's little kids use your pool, go to the store for some beer, and one drowns.
Do you just say, "accidents happen" and try to forget about it? Do you let it eat away at you till it destroys your life? Do you find a way to "pay back society" by dedicating your life to doing some kind of "good deed" till the day you die?
How would you handle it?

:? :clueless:

And it seems you're a serial child killer, and you wanna know how not to feel guilty.

If there was nothing you could do about it or it was nothing but an accident then I would say "accidents happen".

Beating yourself up for the rest of your life will do you no good.

Wow !!

wonderpt said:
And it seems you're a serial child killer, and you wanna know how not to feel guilty.

That's an answer I NEVER would have thought of ! Actually this happened to someone I work with, and he is not dealing with it too well. I wanted to say something to help him out.

That's a sad story... I think we must bare the responsability of our actions... there is no just accidents happen... that is the biggest BS i ever heard... we are responsible for our actions... and must bare the guilt... but the point of life is to live on so we must move on and learn from it.... as harsh as the lesson or experience may be.

it seems to me that things do happen. good and bad. everyone should be held accountable for there actions. but some things you just can not control. It depends on the situation to what i might do. or think i might do. You never know tell it happens.

like wat carlson said...it depends on what the situation...

You left a candle burning and a fire started, someone's child burns to death.
-it's not your fault. you couldn't control what the fire was capable of. don't let this ruined your life but let it be a lesson and do not just forget about it.

you're talking on your cellphone while driving, not paying attention, and you run over a child at the side of a road.
-you should not be taking on the phone cause it destract you from the road...well, you should feel guilty because it was your fault. best off to be in prison than suffer through life knowing you killed someone because of something foolish you have done.

You let the neighbor's little kids use your pool, go to the store for some beer, and one drowns.
-you was in charge of the kids. responsibility. this is just like driving...when a person is in your car and you're driving, you are responsible for that person's life. well...i dunno what you should feel...

UFSI said:
You left a candle burning and a fire started, someone's child burns to death. You're talking on your cellphone while driving, not paying attention, and you run over a child at the side of a road. You let the neighbor's little kids use your pool, go to the store for some beer, and one drowns.
Do you just say, "accidents happen" and try to forget about it? Do you let it eat away at you till it destroys your life? Do you find a way to "pay back society" by dedicating your life to doing some kind of "good deed" till the day you die?
How would you handle it?

:? :clueless:

Given the circumstances in the original question ....

.... they all appear to be quite common examples of negligence ... usually of little consequence ... of which I would venture, we have all been guilty.

Therefore ....

... yes! It would eat at me forever. Deep down.

How would I handle it?

Dunno!

.... Not very well, for a loooong time, I suspect.

I've had the very unfortunate experience of hitting (but not killing) a dog with my car, once. That was bad enough. Later that same day I revisited the home (thank God ... I was well received!) to see if the pup was OK. It was.

...but during the day, whilst in some discomfort ... the dog had bitten the family's eighteen-month old child in the face ... an injury that required about ten stitches to the child! (Her face was a mess!)

The family said it was OK, not my fault, the pup was their responsibility and shouldn't have been on the street etc. etc. They didn't blame me at all, but ...

... it still haunts me!

It happened in 1966.

I just try to be more observant now ... that's all I can do!

ジョン

WOW! that was long ago...but you can't just get rid of those kind of things...i wonder if the kid is alright...

This thread has been viewed 9338 times.

Back