Western Europe to face coldest winter in 50 years !

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Severe winter forecast for Western Europe

Expatica said:
Amid forecasts the Belgian Ardennes will be covered in snow by the end of the week, British forecasters have warned of a severe winter across Western Europe, including Belgium.

An old saying suggests that if October is warm and fine, a severe winter will follow and British meteorologists are forecasting the same. The warning has sparked deep concern in Britain where government authorities fear a shortage of gas.

The southern part of Britain is expected to be hit the hardest, along with the bordering area of Europe — including Belgium, Flemish newspaper 'Het Nieuwsblad' reported on Monday. It is being forecast as the coldest winter in 50 years.

That's not good news, as I intend to be in Europe at that time...:atchoo:

Hmm, I don't mind...as long as there is snow :)

Yadder, yadder, yadder. They have been predicting a severe winter in the UK for the past 4 or 5 years and it hasn't happened yet. They'll wheel out all the enviormental scientists and they will tell us about global warming etc, and how the world is getting warmer, so we'll all be getting colder. A strange situation, I know. And when it doesn't happen they will still blame global warming. Call me a cynic, I've heard this too many time before, so I won't hold my breath. Pity, I like snow.

Mycernius said:
Yadder, yadder, yadder. They have been predicting a severe winter in the UK for the past 4 or 5 years and it hasn't happened yet. They'll wheel out all the enviormental scientists and they will tell us about global warming etc, and how the world is getting warmer, so we'll all be getting colder. A strange situation, I know. And when it doesn't happen they will still blame global warming. Call me a cynic, I've heard this too many time before, so I won't hold my breath. Pity, I like snow.
To quote from the original link:
"However, VTM weatherman Eddy De Mey took the forecasts with a grain of salt. "Season forecasts are worthless in our part of Western Europe. Two models are saying that it will be colder, three that it will be a normal winter," he said."

I think, to forecast a whole winter is a bit presumptuous since the reliability of weather forecasts decreases rapidly the further you look into the future. Weather is a chaotic, non-linear system. With current technology you may predict the weather for the next 5 days with an acceptable probability, but beyond that...

For global warming: It's a fact. Questions are whether & in how far is it man-made, & what will be the consequences? Every respectable meteorologist will probably tell you that we don't know enough about climate dynamics yet. & no respectable meteorologist will tell you that one particular weather event is an effect of global warming (alone).

I really hope not... i hardly get through the normal winters here, this would be just one more annoyance

I like wintry weather. Particularly if it snows overnight and I can't get to work. But I am a little worried about Iris if it gets too cold.

It has been snowing a lot in Belgium this December. It's about a week that the landscape around here is under snow, and there were two shorter spells of snow earlier this month. It's a long time I hadn't seen so much snow. There are stalactites at the windows and the sky is as white as the ground, so we don't see the sun very often. What's more the sun rises at 8:45am and sets at 4:45pm. At least it feels like winter, not like in Tokyo where it doesn't freeze, trees stay green and flowers stays in bloom all winter, and hardly snows at all.

So far it's not really the coldest winter in 50 years though. It's -3'C today (about 25'F), and I remember years in which it fell to -20'C.

Western Europe has not been much colder than usual until now. However Eastern Europe is hit hard by the cold wave from Russia. Several people have died from the cold in East Germany (-20'C in Berlin), the Czech Republic, Romania and even in Northern Turkey.

I TOLD YOU, IT WILL BE THE SAME AS THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW.... everyone think the world is warming up... that's true, but in the winter... MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

hey Europe! Give back our weather!
I live in one of the coldest cities in the provinces (not territories) and this whole winter we've had at most -20 degree weather. On average, we get -5 to -10 degrees! Heck we're going to get rain soon! There has been only one snow storm this season and it's January!
Winnipeg will no longer be called winter peg! Without the cold weather, I can't shamelessly flirt my way into getting hugs from cute guys!

It's weird here. At the moment it's about 2 degrees, the forecast says it will drop to -2 tomorrow. I have never known it get below -7. I suppose in Scotland it gets colder, but we seem to have very mild weather in England, thanks to the good old gulf stream. Experts reckon that even if that disappears eventually, the average global increase in temperature will mean that our climate won't really change in the forseeable future.

So if you get fed up of the cold, come and visit me in sunny Stoke!

Tsuyoiko said:
It's weird here. At the moment it's about 2 degrees, the forecast says it will drop to -2 tomorrow. I have never known it get below -7. I suppose in Scotland it gets colder, but we seem to have very mild weather in England, thanks to the good old gulf stream. Experts reckon that even if that disappears eventually, the average global increase in temperature will mean that our climate won't really change in the forseeable future.
So if you get fed up of the cold, come and visit me in sunny Stoke!

The Gulf Stream influences temperatures in all Western Europe. When watching the weather forecast on TV recently, I noticed that it was usually warmer in England than in Turkey in January. Portugal is also much warmer than Turkey in winter at the same latitude.

I just want to say it has been freezing here lately.. one morning even -8. I hear this crazy rush of cold is coming fromthe east... have you other guys felt it as well ?

I was doing some exercise this morning, DAMNNNN COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But yeah we STILL, can do ice skating on nature ice in this area, and as long as that is not possible, I think it is: NOT COLD ENOUGH

silver angel said:
hey Europe! Give back our weather!
I live in one of the coldest cities in the provinces (not territories) and this whole winter we've had at most -20 degree weather. On average, we get -5 to -10 degrees! Heck we're going to get rain soon! There has been only one snow storm this season and it's January!
Winnipeg will no longer be called winter peg! Without the cold weather, I can't shamelessly flirt my way into getting hugs from cute guys!
...OH YEAH!?

Here is a report that says that January 2006 was sunnier but not colder than other years in Belgium : Expatica : January was exceptionally sunny, dry

Expatica said:
The Ukkel-Based RMI recorded 97 hours and 25 minutes of sun in January, which is exceptionally high.

The RMI said such an amount of sun occurs once every 30 years, newspaper 'De Standaard' reported.

The record amount of sun for January dates back to 1954, when 100 hours were recorded. The long-term average is 52.

However, temperatures remained normal. An average temperature of 1.7 degrees Celsius, an average maximum temperature of 4.5
degrees and an average minimum temperature of 0.9 were recorded.

Seems like weather-forecasting isn't much better than astrology. As Flashjeff once said, it's really 'weather-guessing'. :D

According to locals I know it is colder this year than in the last couple of years, but compare to when they were little the weather is warmer now in Europe. There were much more snow back then they said.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 22673 times.

Back