Smoke-free Belgium

Tsuyoiko said:
Brooker - I understand what you're saying, but how would you like it if I sat next to you and farted all through your meal?

I wouldn't like it, but I'm not talking about restaurants. There haven't been many restaurants that allow smoking around here for a while. I'm talking about bars. When I go to a bar, I do it with the intention of partaking in various (legal) drugs that are bad for my health. I accepted all the other bans, but I think non-smokers are the greedy ones. Why couldn't they have left one last safe haven for people to go and have their vices? There are non-smoking bars. But non-smokers want everything. How about a few bars where people could go BECAUSE they want to smoke. Smokers can't even do that. There's no compromise here. It's all one sided. I don't even smoke all that often, but I like to have one when I'm out drinking. And I don't think a few smoking bars is too much to ask. If they were to open a few of those around here, I'm sure they'd be pretty popular.

Brooker said:
I'm talking about bars.
I agree with you. It would be a good niche market for some bar owners, provided anyone applying for a job there knows up front they are going to be working in a smoky atmosphere.

"It's good thing,cause since a lot of people aren't alowed to smoke ,They might aswell smoke less"

Brooker said:
How about a few bars where people could go BECAUSE they want to smoke. Smokers can't even do that. There's no compromise here. It's all one sided.

That's a good idea to have "smokers' bars", where people are warned on the door that this is a "smoking-friendly" environment.

In Tokyo, smoking has been banned in the street, but they have since established "smoking cubicles" such as this one (I have only seen them in Roppongi Hills and Akihabara) :

english-sign1c.jpg

Spain has already introduced a ban on smoking in restaurants since this January (2006), preceding Belgium by 1 year. Ireland, Norway and Sweden have also banned public smoking.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 21647 times.

Back