Missing words in English

Superficial: .. American realtors often translate acreage into square feet to make a small piece of land seem larger. Afterall, 800 sq. ft. seems much larger than a plot of land that is 20 feet wide x 40 feet long.

FYI: An American acre is 208.71' x 208,71' (feet). The answer is the number of square feet in an acre. If you want to know the number of yards in a room, do this. Multiply the width by the length and then divide that number by 9 (36 inches aka one yard.)

The word "pique" has many uses, both as a verb and noun.

I think the most common use is in the context of having one's interest piqued.

What a ripper thread this is, I've got a feeling I'm going to return to it time and time again.

I was just on another thread where someone was bandying around a derogatory term which North Italians use against South Italians (indeed, that word might fit into this thread), and I was curious as to whether Sicilian had a cognate (which was likely to have a different meaning, obviously).

I did find a cognate, tirranu, which has a few meanings one of which is to describe a person who walks around dragging his feet.

Do we have a noun in English which could be used to describe such a person?

We can imagine every school yard in the English speaking world where teachers chastise kids for dragging their feet (also used metaphorically in the expression stop dragging your heels). If only those same teachers had a word to fit into the expression: Stop being a _____! (and that word, hopefully, would not be a four letter word).

This thread has been viewed 40372 times.

Back