ASD Autism epidemic ?

I have noticed that a number of "geeks" that I work with definitely have symptoms of Asperger's. Most of these geeks are chemical, electrical and computer engineers and three different sets of engineering couples (both the husband and wife are engineers) that I know have had children that suffer from full blown autism. One couple has 3 autistic children 2 of them are girls which is fairly unusual from what I have read.
I think the up surge in autism is from our recently found equality in education and work opportunities. 40 years ago, at least in the United States, very few women sought higher education in highly technical fields. Teaching, nursing and social work were about the only fields open to them. Over the last generation that has changed, technical schools are flooded with women, seeking jobs in technical fields. When they enter those fields they meet men who are also highly technically oriented. They marry and the children inherit the geek gene from both parents.
Up until this current generation women and men with the gene either did not marry or married people that they met at places other than work or university.
So for you young men and women who are mathematically and technically astute, seek mates from men and women who are artistic and literary in nature.

I agree, except with art and literature being non-autistic, because many of these can be performed in solitude, thus often representing a refuge for autistic personalities. For instance Michelangelo is often mentioned as a famous suspected AS person. Einstein was also likely autistic and he still was a talented violinist. Non-autistic individuals are most likely to be found in jobs which require team-work, official representation, masquerade, flexibility, socialization and volatile environments, for instance sales, marketing, management, fashion and politics.

A notable and reasonable reason for the apparent increase in autism today, is the quality of diagnostics and awareness today compared to yesteryears.
Another reason proposed for the increase in autism rates is epigenetic influences on the embryo, a very interesting research project I was involved in.
Latest rates sit at 1 in 50 to 1 in 88 individuals diagnosed with ASD.

Yes, given that individuals with autism have highly focused interests, have higher systemizing skills and lower empathizing skills, and social impairments, professions that lend themselves to such criteria, will prove more suited to those with autism

The MMR vaccine controversy has been investigated, clearing the vaccine of any etiological role in autism, and the Wakefield study implicating the vaccine has been closely examined and the analyses declared fraudulent.

It's cause that strong indipendent woman wait to have kids when their eggs are of low quality.

This thread has been viewed 25844 times.

Back