Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
BBC News : Montenegro 'chooses independence'

BBC said:
Montenegro has voted for independence from its union with Serbia, according to unofficial projections.

If confirmed, the vote would erase the last vestige of the former Yugoslavia.

I am in favour of the independence of Montenegro, the same way as I am for the independence of Kosovo.

New country for Europe

It looks like Europe has gained yet another independant state in the Balkans as Montenegro has voted for independance from Serbia. Serbia has accepted the referendum see here for more
Fair enough they want independance, but the next thing they'll want to do it join the EU. Leave a small union to gain their own government and then try and join a larger union, which will end up dictating on how to run your country on various matters.

It's different....with serbia they were not equal...pretty much never have been. They don't really have any benefits from being with Serbia as opposed to joining the EU. Serbia has abused the former yugoslav republics too much for any of them to wish and have to be under their dominion. I'm glad that montenegro will get independence and i hope kosovo shall get its soon as well. It would be a nice ending in the sad 90's chapter of Balkan history.

I recognize this country name through my lifetime hobby of stamp collecting,it was once categorized as " dead nation " in the philatelic world for over a century.

It's interest to read more and more formerly dead nations or territories swallowed up by powerful neigbors gradually regain their sovereignty.

I recognize this country name through my lifetime hobby of stamp collecting,it was once categorized as " dead nation " in the philatelic world for over a century.
It's interest to read more and more formerly dead nations or territories swallowed up by powerful neigbors gradually regain their sovereignty.
Are you talking about about Montenegro or Kosovo ? When was either of them independent before (to print stamps) ?

Are you talking about about Montenegro or Kosovo ?

When was either of them independent before (to print stamps) ?

Montenegro,not Kosovo.

I've vague memory now since many years passed I last saw postage stamps imprinted with Montenegro,were issued as either a nation or a territory.I have to look that up in next copy of subscribed weekly Linn's stamp newspaper,then I can confirm it.

I totally agree wit Duo's post. My country gained independance from former Yugoslavia 16 years ago and it was the best decision me coult have made. Too much money went to Belgrade with no apparent benefit. We are now EU members and on 1st January Eurozone members.

Things are really complicated, politicaly, in Serbia. kosovo independance is pending and Serbia won't, in my opinion, let that happen. The radicals threatened armed conflict if Kosovo secedes.

As for Montenegro, I'm sure that there will not be any conflicts. Serbs have other problems and Montenegro was never percieved as part of Serbia, wheres kosovo is a birthplace of Serbian nation.

Serbia won't have the choice but let Kosovo gain its independence. The Eu will pressure them on that issue. What could be worse for Serbia but be isolated within Europe ?

As for Montenegro, I'm sure that there will not be any conflicts. Serbs have other problems and Montenegro was never percieved as part of Serbia, wheres kosovo is a birthplace of Serbian nation.

Says who ? Is funny like other slovenes i've talked to are quite not so enthusiastic about Kosovo being independent. THey still tell me that Kosovo was Serbian when there are enough historical facts to disprove that. It's just weird cuz slovenians started the whole break up of yugoslavia yet they dont seem so keen on this particular independence. Coherent thinking would let me to beleive that knowing what rule under Belgrade was there would be a bit more assistance or rather support for this particular issue.

Serbia won't have the choice but let Kosovo gain its independence. The Eu will pressure them on that issue. What could be worse for Serbia but be isolated within Europe ?

And even just as important Serbia doesn't control the territory anymore. There is not much they can do about it. Try an invasion and a fight with NATO forces?
Just as the big powers granted Kosovo to Serbia they are taking it away again

It's done. Yesterday was Kosovo's turn to split from Serbia, almost 2 years after Montenegro.

This makes of Kosovo of one the smallest European countries (3x smaller than Belgium in land area and 5x less population-wise). If Belgium splits in two, Wallonia and Flanders would still be bigger. ;)

Let's see now if they will merge Kosovo with Albania. That seems like the most logical thing to do, but I am not an expert on the matter.

Kosovo is not the smallest in Europe,Liechtenstein,Luxembourg,San Marino,Holy See,Monaco and Andorra are smaller.Kosovo is about 11000 km2 but Andorra is less than 1000.
I trully believe that Croatia will found the way to recognize Kosovo.

Kosovo is not the smallest in Europe,Liechtenstein,Luxembourg,San Marino,Holy See,Monaco and Andorra are smaller.Kosovo is about 11000 km2 but Andorra is less than 1000.
I trully believe that Croatia will found the way to recognize Kosovo.
This is why I wrote "one the smallest" which has a completely different meaning from just "smallest". Each word is worth something.

Anyway, it is hard to see Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, the Vatican or Lichtenstein as actual "countries" when they have less independence or less power than some federal states. These countries have no currency of their own, no proper army or police, and lack most ministries and institutions found in bigger countries. So they are more like semi-autonomous regions of France, Italy and Switzerland than "countries". I prefer to place them in the same category of "dependent states" as the Faroe Islands, Greenland, the Isle of Man, Jersey & Guernesey, Gibraltar, etc.

Luxembourg is the smallest "functional" country in Europe.

I wonder if there are any Albanians or Kosovars here that have any information regarding this conflict.

I wonder if there are any Albanians or Kosovars here that have any information regarding this conflict.

What do you need to know? I can tell you everything.

Albanians are descendants of the Illyrians, the most ancient group of Indo Europeans that controlled the entire balkans.

In the 7th century AD, Slavic barbarians invaded and killed off most of the Illyrians, or assimilated them, except for 1 tribe, the Albanians, who managed to survive to this day.

Kosovo in Albanian is Dardania, which is an ancient Albanian Illyrian word. This land was always Albanian territory, until 1912 when Serbs stole it with the support of Russia, France, Germany, and England.

Serbs also commited mass crimes and killed thousands of innocent Albanian civilians to try and "cleanse" them out of the land but it didn't work.

As of February 2nd 2008, Kosova is the newest independent Nation in the world.

Now we are only waiting to enter the UN, which is being blocked by Russia.

Kosovo or with full and official name: Kosovo and Metochia. Kosovo derived from Kosovo (polje) means Field of Black birds on Serbian. Metochia is greek word for monastery property. Every village, every hill, every river on Kosovo has serbian name. Kosovo was center of Serbian medieval state. All serbian cultural, historical monuments are located on Kosovo, and not only that, Kosovo has special place in Serbian national poems as the place of suffering and ressurection. It was simbol of european Christian resistance to Otoman Turks.
To stole Kosovo from Serbs is like stole Canterbery from English people, Jerusalem from Jews.
Over the centuries Albanian clans as muslims and Turk allies were settled on that holy serbian fertile land. They burned christian churches, raped christian girls, killed christian men forcefully occupying their properties and year by year, century by century they gained majority on Kosovo.
On the end of story, only with help of Nato air force, Albanians became rulers of Kosovo, killing and deporting a few Serbs that survived. Serbian monasteries, under Unesco protection, are the only religious objects in Europe today protected day and night by Nato soldiers from wild Albanians which tried several times to burn it.
And that is the true about Kosovo today. It is stolen teritory. Main thieves: Albanians, main colaborators: EU, Nato and United States.

I fear for the Balkans. I hope against hope that the people of the various "nations" can hold it together and bury old hatreds and inequalities and live peacefully next to each other. I am afraid that within a few years the old hatreds and unhealed wounds will end up in renewed violence.
I think that the only way that will not happen if there is a very strong stance by the EU to try and keep the peace. It would be a shame for the governments of Europe to back away and rely on NATO or the UN to try and maintain order.

This thread has been viewed 53689 times.

Back